New GxValveCaster.lv2

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tramp
Established Member

Re: New GxValveCaster.lv2

Post by tramp »

Okay, it seems to be something completely different
I've just installed fluxbox, and keypress events work like expected.
On the road again.
Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

tramp wrote:
Loki Harfagr wrote:Edit: Just in case it'd may help to debug since it uses a quite similar though different recog scheme, I tested this short example of X GL example program and it recognized the keys just fine:
Yes, really strange, the only difference seems to be the use of OpneGL (which ain't should have a impact on the event loop), and, that the window open direct on the root window ( the desktop), while a LV2 window, open in a window provided by the host ( child window).
If you are willing to do some more experience, you may check out my knobmake project, and check if keyboard events get fetched there. Don't mind the mouse move bug, it still is there as well, just to see if the keypress event get fetched there.
https://github.com/brummer10/knobmake

It'll provide a little Xwindow with a knob, that's all-

I'll install fluxbox (seems to me more lighter to install then gnome) and check out the results here.
I'm myself using cinnamon on debian/sid right now.
Seems there's a light ahead :-)
I git cloned and built then tried your knobmake/knobview project as proposed to and YES, the keys work fine here!
(and indeed the mouse snag is corrected fine by porting your previous repair (with v.xmotion.state & Button1Mask instead of '==') so that correction is solid)
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Loki Harfagr wrote:Seems there's a light ahead :-)
I git cloned and built then tried your knobmake/knobview project as proposed to and YES, the keys work fine here!
(and indeed the mouse snag is corrected fine by porting your previous repair (with v.xmotion.state & Button1Mask instead of '==') so that correction is solid)
Ah, good to know.

So I guess we could nail it down to the version of suil (libsuil).
As far I see in slackware 14.2 the suil version is 0.8.2, right?
There are some fixes in version 0.8.4 for X11 key event handling in embedded LV2 X11UI's which may be related to this issue.
https://drobilla.net/2016/09/19/suil-0-8-4.html
The version I use here is 0.10.0, that explain why it works here (except in mixbus-4.3-19, which is as well build against a older version of suil)
On the road again.
Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

tramp wrote:
Loki Harfagr wrote:Seems there's a light ahead :-)
Ah, good to know.

So I guess we could nail it down to the version of suil (libsuil).
As far I see in slackware 14.2 the suil version is 0.8.2, right?
There are some fixes in version 0.8.4 for X11 key event handling in embedded LV2 X11UI's which may be related to this issue.
https://drobilla.net/2016/09/19/suil-0-8-4.html
The version I use here is 0.10.0, that explain why it works here (except in mixbus-4.3-19, which is as well build against a older version of suil)
Well, I would have had this thinking too, but alas (as I said I also have a bunch of libraries, including updates to existing) and here my suil version is 0.10.0 as well...
Though, I quite have the feeling the rat condition is hidden in some library version on my side but have no idea which would it be :D

I can list you the version of the libraries I have if you propose a list of which would be causal.
(though in 5 minutes I won't be able to do it before 6 or 7 hours later but that might still be of any hinting) ?
In any case I guess that one could be implied so here it is:

Code: Select all

lv2-1.14.0-x86_64-2_SBo
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Loki Harfagr wrote:Well, I would have had this thinking too, but alas (as I said I also have a bunch of libraries, including updates to existing) and here my suil version is 0.10.0 as well...
mpf, I'd hope it would be easy . . :lol:

So, have you build jalv and carla by yourself against your local suil, or do you use the package provided by your distribution?
my jalv version is 1.6.0
On the road again.
Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

tramp wrote:
Loki Harfagr wrote:Well, I would have had this thinking too, but alas (as I said I also have a bunch of libraries, including updates to existing) and here my suil version is 0.10.0 as well...
mpf, I'd hope it would be easy . . :lol:

So, have you build jalv and carla by yourself against your local suil, or do you use the package provided by your distribution?
my jalv version is 1.6.0
Oh well, I think your part of the battle is now won, thanks to your remark I have now all mostly working as expected :-)
Your remark made me think about quite the loads of updates I've been building recently and SUIL was not among them, thus I've now just rebuilt suil 0.10.0 and most of the problems vanished :D
This simple rebuild got suddenly the tests of mouse and keys work fine on most of the hosts I can test (Ardour, Mixbus32C-5.1, Carla, Jalv).

I still have a strange attitude from jalv.qt4 and 'jalv -s' (wich is bad for me as it used to be my fav for quicktesting ;) but there and now I can believe that it's just a local and personal turmoil I have in some lousy lib that I didn't rebuild somewhence, so you are now free! You 'll just propagate the last repair (& Vs =) and all your plugins should be ready to cast on the users :-)

(unless some other distro/DE/woteva would surface a new rat, of course)

Thank you for your patience! I really should be more attentive to my rebuild process (or indeed use an already built music distro but I've not yet found one recent enough with my mandatories "no systemd no wayland and no pulseaudio", Oooh it's so hard to be a geezer ;)

PS: only oddity found could be that TAB and Shift-TAB both generate the same left-to-right move while I'd expect them to be opposites.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Loki Harfagr wrote:This simple rebuild got suddenly the tests of mouse and keys work fine on most of the hosts I can test (Ardour, Mixbus32C-5.1, Carla, Jalv).
Nice to hear that.
Loki Harfagr wrote:I still have a strange attitude from jalv.qt4 and 'jalv -s'
Well, jalv.qt(4/5) didn't support resizing on X11 windows right. As far I could see, only qtractor get this correct.
jalv-s was supported in the previous GTK based interface, I've skipped that for laziness in the new X11 interface.
Loki Harfagr wrote:PS: only oddity found could be that TAB and Shift-TAB both generate the same left-to-right move while I'd expect them to be opposites.
I notice some odd behave of the shift/tab key's in Ardour only, as ardour use this key's itself.
So I've now added support for the numpad key's, which ain't interference with ardours key's.
+ - move the focus (active controller), arrow key's move the controller, home (pos1) set the min value, end set the max value and insert set the standard value.

regards
hermann
On the road again.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

and this is how it will look on the MOD:
On the road again.