vst3

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

skei
Established Member

vst3

Post by skei »

hi!
i'm working on adding vst3 support to my plugin library/framework (it already has standalone exe, ladspa, dssi, vst2, and (basic) lv2 support).. things are progressing nicely, and the plugin(s) seem to work well in the linux version of reaper.. but i'd like to start testing them in other hosts too.. does any of the major opensource hosts/daw support vst3 plugins?
lilith
Established Member

Re: vst3

Post by lilith »

Ardour does not support VST3 and I read at IRC that it's also not planned for the near future.
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

IIRC Bitwig also does vst3 on Linux., not open source though.
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
skei
Established Member

Post by skei »

Jack Winter wrote:IIRC Bitwig also does vst3 on Linux., not open source though.
yeah, i know.. bitwig and reaper are my main "weapons of choice" :-)
i think tracktion (and waveform) supports vst3 too..
all closed source..
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

It's kind of ironic now that vst3 allows GPL licensing that opensource DAWs are still clinging to the troublesomely licensed vst2 spec :) But my impression is that there isn't a great interest in lvst and most wish for more lv2 plugins instead.
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
mike@overtonedsp
Established Member

Post by mike@overtonedsp »

But my impression is that there isn't a great interest in lvst and most wish for more lv2 plugins instead.
I don't think that's the case - from a user point of view, perhaps (but that might be because the narrative they are told is 'LV2 is just better' - and from a user point of view I guess its just a case of wanting stuff that works - however, there is ample proof that its equally possible to write bad or unreliable plug-ins as LV2 as it is VST). Personally I think VST3 is better engineered (but I'm hoping this will not ignite another pointless LV2 vs VST 'debate'). What it needs is some kind of catalyst to VST3 adoption on Linux.
This was also the case with VST2 (I added the original - basic - support for linux VST to Ardour, and that, together with support for linux VST in some other hosts, and the (relative) ease with which it is possible to port existing VSTs, especially those which use cross-platform frameworks such as JUCE, most popular on Win / Mac - appears to have a been a key driver to getting more plug-ins available for Linux. More plug-ins (commercial or open-source) means greater adoption of Linux for audio, which brings more plug-ins etc and native ports of other DAWs - Reaper for Linux is a key example - and the cycle continues).
I don't think e.g. the Ardour devs are opposed to VST3, I think as with VST2 it just needs someone to step up - but I won't be volunteering this time. Personally I think the native version of Reaper is going to shake things up a bit - its very capable, and an excellent cross-platform DAW.
I'm working on VST3 ports of my plug-ins for Linux - but there are still host application bugs with Linux VST3 support, and I don't want users to go straight to the VST3 versions because they're newer, find compatibility issues and blame the plug-in.

Note - Generally developers hate new plug-in formats - it doesn't matter if its LV2, VST3 AAX vs RTAS etc - it means you likely lose sales on your current products if they don't support the new format (because users want future-proof) so you have to spend significant time which could be better spent on new products (re)developing old plug-ins for a new format, bug fixing etc - all of which will be expected to be provided for free (unless you want to be spammed with hate mail for ever) and, when you do release the new format, by definition it won't be supported by any host applications initially, and so won't generate any new sales.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

A linux vst3 equivalent to rakarrack is something I'd buy in a heartbeat.
Cheers