Copying to lv2/ folder insufficient to install plugin?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

Jeff Brown
Established Member

Copying to lv2/ folder insufficient to install plugin?

Postby Jeff Brown » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:49 am

I am trying to use the Pianoteq plugin, which generates audio from MIDI. Long ago I apt-installed most, maybe all, of kxstudio.

I downloaded the source, which gave me (in relevant part) the following two files and one folder:

Code: Select all

-rwxr-xr-x 1 jeff jeff 25464328 abr 22  2014 'Pianoteq 4'
drwxr-xr-x 2 jeff jeff     4096 abr 22  2014 'Pianoteq 4.lv2'
-rwxr-xr-x 1 jeff jeff 25869888 abr 22  2014 'Pianoteq 4.so'

From the folder containing those three things, I can run ./Pianoteq\ 4 to start the standalone synth. It works, makes sound, sounds great.

I would like to run it as a plugin from within Ardour. There are multiple folders on my machine called lv2, but I found the one with the stash of plugins that Ardour uses at /usr/lib/lv2. I found a similarly populous folder of VST plugins at /usr/lib/vst. I've tried copying the above .so file to /usr/lib/vst, and copying the above .lv2 folder to /usr/lib/lv2. Then I restart Ardour and search for plugins, but I never find Pianoteq in the list.

I thought it might be a problem that there are spaces in the names, so I replaced every instance of "Pianoteq 4" with "Pianoteq-4", both in the filenames and (using sed) in the contents of the .ttyl files. (I left the .so file unchanged because it's a binary, not a text file.) Still no luck.

Might I be copying into the wrong folder, because some other folder *also* has all those plugins? Should I do something (beyond restarting it) to alert Ardour to the fact that new plugins exist?

rghvdberg
Established Member

Re: Copying to lv2/ folder insufficient to install plugin?

Postby rghvdberg » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:06 am

Normally I'd install plugins in my home folder.
In a hidden directory ~/.lv2
Check the notification area of ardour, top right "led" button after scanning for plugins. Maybe it blacklists the plugin for some reason.

CrocoDuck
Established Member

Postby CrocoDuck » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:31 am

Copying the whole directory that terminates in .lv2 to /usr/lib/lv2 or ~/.lv2 normally works. That's how I use pianoteq. Make sure you scan for new plugins on your host. You can use lv2ls to check if the plugins are installed. For example:

lv2ls | grep pianoteq

Returns this on my system:

http://pianoteq.com/lv2/Pianoteq6
http://pianoteq.com/lv2/Pianoteq6STAGE
http://pianoteq.com/lv2/Pianoteq6_5chan

If you see a similar output, the plugin is correctly installed.
Check my Linux audio experiments on my SoundCloud.
Browse my AUR packages.
Fancying a swim in the pond?

12strings2hands
Established Member

Postby 12strings2hands » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:48 pm

Jeff Brown wrote:
I've tried copying the above .so file to /usr/lib/vst, and copying the above .lv2 folder to /usr/lib/lv2. Then I restart Ardour and search for plugins, but I never find Pianoteq in the list.

as others have said, moving the directory to ~/.lv2 works. all 3 files go in there, so your directory will look like this:
~/.lv2/Piano Tec.lv2/ [3 files go under here]

symbolic links also work, so you could leave it where ever it wants to install itself, then go to ~/.lv2 and type
ln -s /Directory Where Piano Tech really is

Jeff Brown
Established Member

Postby Jeff Brown » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:05 am

The plot thickens!

You can use lv2ls to check if the plugins are installed.

When I call `lv2ls | grep -i pianoteq` I get this:

error: /usr/lib/lv2/Pianoteq-4.lv2/manifest.ttl:29:29: invalid IRI character ` ' (escape %20)
lilv_world_load_file(): error: Error loading file `file:///usr/lib/lv2/Pianoteq-4.lv2/manifest.ttl'
lilv_world_load_bundle(): error: Error reading file:///usr/lib/lv2/Pianoteq-4.lv2/manifest.ttl

Google found someone on the internet who's run into this problem before[1], but I see no indication that it got resolved.

[1] http://lists.ardour.org/pipermail/ardou ... 27515.html

Jeff Brown
Established Member

Postby Jeff Brown » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:02 am

Solved! All I had to do was delete spaces and parens from all filenames (including the parent folder) and from a few places where they appeared inside the .ttl files. Here are the sed commands I used for the latter:

sed -i "s/Pianoteq 4 (5 channels)/Pianoteq_4_with_5_channels/g" *.ttl
sed -i "s/Pianoteq 4/Pianoteq_4/g" *.ttl

CrocoDuck, you didn't have to do that? Are there spaces in the filenames of the Pianoteq version you've got?

Return to “Plugins, Effects and Instruments”