vember audio surge is now opensource

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

oddy.o.lynx
Established Member

Re: vember audio surge is now opensource

Post by oddy.o.lynx »

There are deb files of 'stable' releases now available at https://surge-synthesizer.github.io
AlbertoZ
Established Member

Post by AlbertoZ »

Thanks oddy.o.lynx for pointing out the link! The .deb package is more stable for me, I don't have the preset issues anymore (I just wonder why the raw compilation of sources provides something different...). I'm amazed of the possibilities that this synth seems to have, including processing of input audio!
Alberto
EDIT: ok, when it is overloaded I can hear "bangs", crackles, pops... still some way to go?
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

I've looked few videos about surge sounds, but haven't got certain 'wow effect'. Anybody having some convincing material why surge is so superior that it should be checked and studied how to use it?

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

oddy.o.lynx wrote:There are deb files of 'stable' releases now available at https://surge-synthesizer.github.io
For me, only small part of presets play anything. Started to browse presets, and checking first ~20 from bass, and these were working:
Bass 10, Deep end, Distorted MW, FM Bass 1

From pads, Ghost pad is first to produce anything usable, some patches before it produced only some single cracks.

System is Ubuntu 18.04, and tried surge with Mixbus5.

oddy.o.lynx
Established Member

Post by oddy.o.lynx »

I used Debian 9 and build it locally. I have had these pops too and attributed it to my sound card. I just tested in Mixbus 5 and it sounded great, with no pops. I then tried Renoise and it popped a lot. Like badly. I then tried Bitwig 8 Track and it sounded great. Back to Renoise and everything was perfect again.

Bear in mind it is still beta but all the feedback is appreciated. I will relay this to the developers.

For the time being I would recommend closing the Host/Daw and trying again.

I have tested it in Ardour, Mixbus, Waveform/Tracktion, Carla, Reaper, Radium, Renoise and have been able to load all presets with clean sound. It still won't load in Qtractor though.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

oddy.o.lynx wrote:For the time being I would recommend closing the Host/Daw and trying again.
Closed and started again 3 more times, and results are same. Same presets work, rest not:
tavasti wrote: For me, only small part of presets play anything. Started to browse presets, and checking first ~20 from bass, and these were working:

From pads, Ghost pad is first to produce anything usable, some patches before it produced only some single cracks.

davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

Greetings,

I'll report this issue to the devs on github, but for now I just wanted to confirm that performance in Bitwig 2.3.5 is inconsistent. Most of the time I get nothing but a terrible cracking and popping noise. Sometimes I get stray sounds that have no relation to the loaded preset. It's not really usable there at this point. Btw, I get the same results with Surge in Ardour and VCV Rack.

The GUI looks great and is responsive. Now to get the audio issues sorted.

[Edit] I installed the binary release to check if there's a difference in performance. It's much better in BWS, but not perfect.

Best regards,

dp
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

I got the recent debian 1.6 package yesterday, and it seems to work fine,
no preset or controls issues. Soundwise, it reminds me of U-he ACE and Podolski,
depending on the preset designers. This is on
linux Reaper 5.97, Mint 18, plain kernel 4.4, an an nvidia 9400 GT pcie card
without the official nvidia driver.

https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/releases/releases

Cheers
oddy.o.lynx
Established Member

Post by oddy.o.lynx »

One thing I can recommend is to clear the VST and blacklist cache (of your DAW or Host) and rescan VST's after a clean install.
rhydermike
Established Member

Post by rhydermike »

Great work - both to the original creators and the peeps involved in the Linux port! I've had a play around with it (Tracktion Waveform 10, Linux), and it looks like an interesting plugin. I quickly put together some trance strings using the unison mode and it sounded great. Obviously, the UI is a bit small and some of the sliders seem a bit slow to respond. That said, it's working great to say that it's still a beta. Thanks to everyone involved.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

tavasti wrote:
oddy.o.lynx wrote:There are deb files of 'stable' releases now available at https://surge-synthesizer.github.io
For me, only small part of presets play anything. Started to browse presets, and checking first ~20 from bass, and these were working:

System is Ubuntu 18.04, and tried surge with Mixbus5.
Tried also in my laptop, there Surge works. That is Ubuntu 18.04 without kxstudio repos. My workstation where surge works pretty partially is with kxstudio repos. And plenty of everything else also...

Edit: made separate post about my problem viewtopic.php?f=48&t=19654

rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

rhydermike wrote:Great work - both to the original creators and the peeps involved in the Linux port! I've had a play around with it (Tracktion Waveform 10, Linux), and it looks like an interesting plugin. I quickly put together some trance strings using the unison mode and it sounded great. Obviously, the UI is a bit small and some of the sliders seem a bit slow to respond. That said, it's working great to say that it's still a beta. Thanks to everyone involved.
open the menu, select zoom .. ;-)
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

oh and pretty much every control (sliders,buttons etc) can be edited with mousewheel now
should speed up editing
hold shift for fine control
rhydermike
Established Member

Post by rhydermike »

rghvdberg wrote:oh and pretty much every control (sliders,buttons etc) can be edited with mousewheel now
should speed up editing
hold shift for fine control
Marvellous stuff. Sorry that I missed those two points (the zoom too). I'll go for a play now. Thanks again.