Yoshimi Command Line

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

folderol
Established Member

Yoshimi Command Line

Post by folderol »

I have a question for any people who make use of this (or know people who may be interested).

Recent work means that in the latest builds some deep access into the synth engines is now possible with the status of all context steps being echoed to the prompt line so you know where you are.

However this can get very long, so I'm wondering if it would be better to have a status line followed by a normal "yoshimi>" prompt. As has already been pointed out, this would then tend to orphan the last command actioned from the prompt. Currently, using minimised commands from the top level:
's p add voi env fre on'

reports:
'Part 1 Kit 1 Add Voice 1 Frequency Enable Env Value 1.000000'

and gives a new prompt line:
'yoshimi Part 1 on, Addvoice on, freq Envel on>'

Bear in mind that the report is what you did, and the prompt is where you are (although there is considerable overlap).

If you now do:
's at t 80'
the report is:
'Part 1 Kit 1 Add Voice 1 Amp Env A dt Value 80.000000'

but the prompt line is still:
'yoshimi Part 1 on, Addvoice 1 on, amp Envel>'

We need to tidy up the responses, and intend to shorten the report line to just the control changed and its new value, as the steps to reach it will be in the prompt. Or should they be? That's my question.

Another consideration is that the prompt is specific to the CLI but reports might be directed to the GUI console!

Also, as well as blind users, we have at least one sighted user who runs graphically but sends commands via the CLI wherever possible.

Finally, I'm posting this here and to a few other music sites as this is getting into unfamiliar territory and I would like to get the widest possible user views and experience.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
tavasti
Established Member

Re: Yoshimi Command Line

Post by tavasti »

Wow, cli for synth options, sounds like my tool!

Cli might be used be human or by script. For human, it should be readable. For script, it should be complete.
Therefore there should be a or b:
a) print two response lines, one complete and one readable
b) give option to change response line type. Default would be readable.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Following the general opinion, we've decided to make the status information switchable: off, on (separate line), prompt (added to the end).

As for scripts, these are 'pull' style, in that Yoshimi can request a named one, then execute it. The layout is a simple text file with exactly the same format as if it was being typed in - including abbreviations.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

tavasti wrote:Wow, cli for synth options, sounds like my tool! Cli might be used be human or by script.
Otherwise we use automation in DAWs :roll: :mrgreen:
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

jonetsu wrote:
tavasti wrote:Wow, cli for synth options, sounds like my tool! Cli might be used be human or by script.
Otherwise we use automation in DAWs :roll: :mrgreen:
That's certainly true for those able to use a conventional DAW, but this feature isn't primarily aimed as such people. Indeed the entire command line interface is highly optimised for others.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

folderol wrote: That's certainly true for those able to use a conventional DAW, but this feature isn't primarily aimed as such people. Indeed the entire command line interface is highly optimised for others.
I know very well. The joke was irresistible though.

Cheers.