Stereo widening

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Capoeira
Established Member

Re: Stereo widening

Post by Capoeira »

turbidh20 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:15 pm
Capoeira wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:27 amMVerb is on vocals, piano, claps, pandeiros and even that crazy electronic bridge. that ambience synth, which has no reverb aplied at all, asked for it. there is Harrison GVerb on other stuff like the snare and guitar
I found a 64bit version - "Mverb 2020" at SocaLabs. Seems quite nice. I'm still preferring "guitarix echo" for my own vocals. I'm not finding myself using much reverb at all. I do like a tiny touch of airwaves "MV" on my drum bus though.
normaly I wouldn't use this much reverb. that track called for it because there is not much going on else, instrument wise. I even had to side-chain duck it to the words to make it cleaner.
normaly reverb would be aplied to adujst (give more) "depth", rather then having an in your face effect
turbidh20
Established Member

Post by turbidh20 »

Capoeira wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:50 am normaly I wouldn't use this much reverb. that track called for it because there is not much going on else, instrument wise. I even had to side-chain duck it to the words to make it cleaner.
normaly reverb would be aplied to adujst (give more) "depth", rather then having an in your face effect
This is where my lack of expertise lets me down - I'm fumbling about in the dark! That would make a good song title :D

It's trial and error for me to try and get a decent sound, without knowing much about technicalities.

Perhaps some of the more proficient producers on the forum should offer their services for hire :) After getting real drums on a couple of my tracks I'm thinking of paying for more of the same for my old tracks I'm remixing currently. It sounds a hell of a lot better than my poor MIDI attempts.
Arch Linux (i7-4790k/GTX970); UMC204HD; MPK Mini MKII; Jack2 (QjackCtl) & Ardour/Mixbus
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

turbidh20 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:24 pm It's trial and error for me to try and get a decent sound
well, that's how it works lol. watch famous mixing engeniers on youtube. that's just how you get the sound you want.

turbidh20 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:24 pm Perhaps some of the more proficient producers on the forum should offer their services for hire :) After getting real drums on a couple of my tracks I'm thinking of paying for more of the same for my old tracks I'm remixing currently. It sounds a hell of a lot better than my poor MIDI attempts.
I don't think I am ready to offer any mixing service yet, but I plan to. ATM I am actualy looking for multitracks for training, but I prefer "afro-rythms" (funk, soul, disco, hip-hop, brazilian, latin, reggae, ...., .....) since I don't realy know how e.g. rock music is suppoused to sound.
turbidh20
Established Member

Post by turbidh20 »

Capoeira wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:00 am I don't think I am ready to offer any mixing service yet, but I plan to. ATM I am actualy looking for multitracks for training, but I prefer "afro-rythms" (funk, soul, disco, hip-hop, brazilian, latin, reggae, ...., .....) since I don't realy know how e.g. rock music is suppoused to sound.
You're no good to me then :lol:

Only joking! You've posted a lot of stuff I've found useful and interesting :)
Arch Linux (i7-4790k/GTX970); UMC204HD; MPK Mini MKII; Jack2 (QjackCtl) & Ardour/Mixbus
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

this article features sound examples of a lot of comercial VSTs: https://www.puremix.net/blog/getting-wide-mixes.html
clearly there is no Linux plugin that can do those things so naturaly.
k-stereo sounds best to me, btw. there is even a free version: http://dallashodgson.info/articles/OpenAmbienceProject/
the k-stereo concept could actualy easily be emulated by a linux plugin since it's a simple combination of all the tricks into a "Stereo Haas Effect Ping Pong Inverter"
turbidh20
Established Member

Post by turbidh20 »

Capoeira wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:00 pmk-stereo sounds best to me, btw. there is even a free version: http://dallashodgson.info/articles/OpenAmbienceProject/
Some good info, thanks. I tried the SHEPPi Free Spacial Enhancer and it appears to be working fully. I'm still playing with it.
p34nutz

Post by p34nutz »

Capoeira wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:43 am
turbidh20 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:39 am I've just tried airwindows Wider, seems promising, thanks for that.

I'm currently using Venomode Pivot (Linux VST) and that's sounding pretty good. I'm not sure that's strictly a widener but it's giving me the desired effect.
Capoeira wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:55 pmright now I am comparing Fons Adriaensen's (Zita?) Stereo Width plugin to Ozone. sounds prety good before comparision
What's the name of the Stereo Width plugin please? I'm having trouble finding it.
It's just called Stereo Width; hadn't found (the source) it when I posted either. Now I am prety sure it's inside this http://kokkinizita.linuxaudio.org/linux ... .2.tar.bz2
If not tell me, some how I find it lol

I didn't like the airwindows one.
I was exactly looking for a replacement for UpStereo (that I have to use through Carla and Wine), and I found this post. I tried Stereo Width and made some live comparisons enabling the two plugins one at a time on the same track; with the right settings, they sound exactly the same! Thx @Capoeira !