Linux Plugins (LADSPA, DSSI, Vamp, LV2, VST)

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sadko4u
Established Member

Re: Linux Plugins (LADSPA, DSSI, LV2, VST)

Post by sadko4u »

Tobbe wrote: Just downloaded the whole suite. Looks awesome and I'm gonna try them all out. Looked at some videos but it hard to see how you route everything from the sampler. I use Reaper For Linux and it seems to work great so far. Lot to learn, but I'm getting there eventually :lol:
Don't forget to read documentation to the corresponding plugin you'll try!
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
Tobbe
Established Member

Post by Tobbe »

sadko4u wrote:
Tobbe wrote: Just downloaded the whole suite. Looks awesome and I'm gonna try them all out. Looked at some videos but it hard to see how you route everything from the sampler. I use Reaper For Linux and it seems to work great so far. Lot to learn, but I'm getting there eventually :lol:
Don't forget to read documentation to the corresponding plugin you'll try!
Do you have documentation in PDF format? Would be awesome.

Thanks
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

Tobbe wrote: Do you have documentation in PDF format? Would be awesome.

Thanks
It's available online:
http://lsp-plug.in/?page=manuals

Or offline as HTML:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lsp-pl ... z/download
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
Tobbe
Established Member

Post by Tobbe »

sadko4u wrote:
Tobbe wrote: Do you have documentation in PDF format? Would be awesome.

Thanks
It's available online:
http://lsp-plug.in/?page=manuals

Or offline as HTML:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lsp-pl ... z/download
Thank you
khz
Established Member

Re: Linux Plugins (LADSPA, DSSI, Vamp, LV2, VST)

Post by khz »

. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
Nuri
Established Member

Post by Nuri »

I think the JS plugins of Reaper could now be considered as Linux native since they run natively in the OS.
8)
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

Nuri wrote:I think the JS plugins of Reaper could now be considered as Linux native since they run natively in the OS.
8)
They cannot since they run only inside Reaper.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.
Nuri
Established Member

Post by Nuri »

They cannot since they run only inside Reaper.
yes, but still native on Linux! :P
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

native yes, but then they aren't plugins in this context.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

ssj71 wrote:native yes, but then they aren't plugins in this context.
Okay, here's a twisty one for you:

Thanks to a module from developer Rcomian some JSFX scripts can be run natively in VCV Rack. VCV Rack can be run as a native Linux VST plugin (VeeSeeVSTRack). If the JS plugins can be instantiated in the VCV Rack VST plugin, do they then qualify as native Linux plugins ?

Wheels within wheels... :)

https://github.com/Rcomian/jsfx-vcv

Best,

dp
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

well at least an argument could be made then. :) I'd like to hear of someone actually using them that way. If it actually works, then I'd say they definitely belong on the list!
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
Nuri
Established Member

Post by Nuri »

If Ardour and other DAW lack the ability to run the JSFX, it does not mean that they are not Linux plugins.

Or what is the definition of "Linux plugins"?
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

Nuri wrote:Or what is the definition of "Linux plugins"?
A true “insert_os_name_here plugin” should be usable in multiple hosts. If it's limited to only one of available applications, then it can't be considered as a native to any OS, only to the host it's supported by. Well, imagine if you don't use Reaper on any OS, and somebody tells you that ReaJS plugins are Linux native now. The first thing that sparkles in your mind will be: “How can I use them in Ardour/Carla/QTractor/Bitwig Studio/whatever else?”. And then you find out that it's impossible unless you switch to Reaper. It's a simple fact: if it's not re-usable, it can't be considered of full value. Calf Plugin Pack, for instance, can be truly considered Linux native, as it can be used in a multitude of Linux hosts.
davephillips wrote:Thanks to a module from developer Rcomian some JSFX scripts can be run natively in VCV Rack.
Let's start with “some”. This already means that not all of them are usable in another host, which narrows down their usage to a very limited set of circumstances. Also, there are problems with VCV Rack's UI, at least on KDE Neon, which is about to become the base distribution for KXStudio. The problem I encountered is severe: I can not use any of embedded input/output plugins, as their interface isn't drawn completely (the only thing drawn is the text label), therefore dysfunctional. There's no way to connect to inputs and outputs if they are absent on the canvas, so the whole idea of using ReaJS on, say, my setup, is pointless, as I will never use Reaper, and VCV Rack doesn't work on it as expected. If you're curious about why I would never ever launch Reaper again, the reason is its routing system: no busses (how come? It's presented as a professional DAW!), sends/inserts/whatever require too much hassle to even create (and I thought Cubase was a mess), VCAs are of even more fiddling around… It's not that I've got that baby duck syndrome, I easily switch to Pro Tools or Logic if somebody using it requires my help.
Last edited by AlexTheBassist on Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

davephillips wrote:Okay, here's a twisty one for you:

Thanks to a module from developer Rcomian some JSFX scripts can be run natively in VCV Rack. VCV Rack can be run as a native Linux VST plugin (VeeSeeVSTRack). If the JS plugins can be instantiated in the VCV Rack VST plugin, do they then qualify as native Linux plugins ?
You could run/export nearly any jack aware app via Carla as LV2 plugin, would you consider them now all as plugins?
On the road again.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Nuri wrote:If Ardour and other DAW lack the ability to run the JSFX, it does not mean that they are not Linux plugins.

Or what is the definition of "Linux plugins"?
Most Audio applications (like Muse, Carla, guitarix, . . and so has Reaper ) has a own, internal plugin API, which is (mostly) only used by them self. So, we've hundret's of plugin API's. No one will support them all, so a common accepted API is needed to make plugins really useful.
When a plugin support a common accepted plugin API, currently VST, LV2, DSSI and LADSPA (Vamp is rarely used, I guess) could considered as common accepted, you could talk about a Linux Audio plugin, or, a Windows Audio plugin, or a IOS Audio plugin. Others been Host plugins, eg, Reaper plugin, Muse plugin, Carla internal plugin, . . . .

And, just because there is a way to wrap it to a common API, it ain't makes it to a Linux plugin, the support for a common API must be included in the plug itself. Otherwise, as pointed out above, any audio app is a plugin.
On the road again.