Carla won't load certain Windows VST's

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Carla won't load certain Windows VST's

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

When I try to load certain Windows VST's in Carla I get the error message "Failed to load plugin. Carla's rack mode can only work with Mono or Stereo plugins, sorry". Waaaaat? That means that Drumatic 3 (a highly recommended plugin that a lot of people use) is neither mono or stereo? Because Drumatic 3 will not load in Carla.

Why is this?

Carla's info from command line:

Code: Select all

LRDF Support not available (LADSPA-RDF will be disabled)
Carla 1.9.8 (2.0-beta6) started, status:
  Python version: 3.4.3
  Qt version:     4.8.6
  PyQt version:   4.10.4
  Binary dir:     /usr/lib/carla
  Resources dir:  /usr/share/carla/resources
libjack.so.0 loaded sucessfully!
P.S. It does works w/ DSSI though ...
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Carla won't load certain Windows VST's

Post by sysrqer »

Probably because it has multiple outputs?

As far as I remember carla patchbay should load plugins like this. Unless it's a wine issue...
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

sysrqer wrote:Probably because it has multiple outputs?

As far as I remember carla patchbay should load plugins like this. Unless it's a wine issue...
Wait a minute! It works with VSTHost (which uses DDSI) and indeed this VST presented itself to Jack in a way that surprised me: multiple outputs. Darn it. Any chance of Carla ever supporting VST's like this? Because DSSI only supports 32 bit Windows VST's (if I'm not mistaken) and it is on the way out. If I'm not mistaken DSSI is no longer supported and some distro's don't even have it in their repo's. Or, what was it w/ DSSI, the distro's have it in their repo but it does not work... ? :?:

I forgot what the problem w/ DSSI was, only thing I remember it that one has to familiarize oneself with Carla because pretty soon it's the only way one is able to use Win VST's on Linux.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Any chance of Carla ever supporting VST's like this?
It does already but I suppose the rack version doesn't know what to do with all the extra outputs.
Linuxmusician01 wrote:Because DSSI only supports 32 bit Windows VST's (if I'm not mistaken) and it is on the way out. If I'm not mistaken DSSI is no longer supported and some distro's don't even have it in their repo's. Or, what was it w/ DSSI, the distro's have it in their repo but it does not work... ? :?:
I've never used DSSI for Windows vsts but regular DSSI work for me and I didn't do anything special to make them work.
Linuxmusician01 wrote: I forgot what the problem w/ DSSI was, only thing I remember it that one has to familiarize oneself with Carla because pretty soon it's the only way one is able to use Win VST's on Linux.
Not sure where you get that from. Most people these days use linvst (which I think might even be an offshoot off the DSSI vst package). Airwave still works but it's not as stable as linvst in my experience.
protozone
Established Member

Carla's Learning Disability

Post by protozone »

Not-related, but for some VST(i)'s you can do drag-n-drop and that works.
But it's not an ideal solution if your VST's are heavily nested in folders.
But the folder nesting seems to be what prevents Carla from finding some VST(i)'s.