Problems with jack active patch not working correctly

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

eddie3000
Established Member

Problems with jack active patch not working correctly

Post by eddie3000 »

Hi there! I'm having a bit of trouble with the active patch bay in jack. I am using jack2, jack mixer, rotter and some calf plugins. I'm also using giada, audacity and audacious. All at the same time. After setting up all the connections manually and creating and saving a patchbay configuration, it sometimes works. But if I change something and save it, new bad connections appear after restart. The only way to fix it is to delete all the config files and start from scratch. I know there are a lot of programs involved, but I can't put my finger on any one of them yet. I thought that calf plugins might be the cause, but it's happened without them too. I think it might be the jack mixer, or maybe not. I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself.
Thank you.
Last edited by eddie3000 on Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
eddie3000
Established Member

Re: Problems with jack active patch not working correctly

Post by eddie3000 »

Anybody? Not even to say that I've not explained myself well? :D

It's a pity because I like the idea of the active patchbay, if it works.
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

Is that about QjackCtl Patchbay ?

if yes make sure you check whether Setup > Options > Connections > Reset all connections on patchbay activation makes any difference.

cheers
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

eddie3000 wrote:Hi there! I'm having a bit of trouble with the active patch bay in jack. I am using jack2, jack mixer, rotter and some calf plugins. I'm also using giada, audacity and audacious. All at the same time. After setting up all the connections manually and creating and saving a patchbay configuration, it sometimes works. But if I change something and save it, new bad connections appear after restart. The only way to fix it is to delete all the config files and start from scratch. I know there are a lot of programs involved, but I can't put my finger on any one of them yet. I thought that calf plugins might be the cause, but it's happened without them too. I think it might be the jack mixer, or maybe not. I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself.
Thank you.
Audacity creates its jack outputs dynamically and uses increasing numbers. I make jack-plumbing handle that:

(connect "PortAudio:out_.*[13579]" "jack_mixer:JACK R")
(connect "PortAudio:out_.*[02468]" "jack_mixer:JACK L")

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

nikgnomicradio
Established Member

Post by nikgnomicradio »

It might be jack_mixer, but I don't have it available to install to confirm problem and possible solution

if a fixed name is not included in jack_mixer start command, jack_mixer will start ok, but with a random identifier number in name
the identifier number changes every time jack_mixer is launched, so will not work with a fixed name in qjackctl patchbay

jack_mixer start command with a jack client name will keep name fixed, then it can be recognised by qjackctl

I think name can be added to end of command, but use 'jack_mixer --help' to confirm command syntax
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

bluebell wrote:Audacity creates its jack outputs dynamically and uses increasing numbers. I make jack-plumbing handle that:

(connect "PortAudio:out_.*[13579]" "jack_mixer:JACK R")
(connect "PortAudio:out_.*[02468]" "jack_mixer:JACK L")
QjackCtl Patchbay also supports regular-expressions for the client name (there named "sockets").

cheers
eddie3000
Established Member

Post by eddie3000 »

Thank you everybody for your replies.

Yes rncbc, I am using QjackCtl's patchbay. I have checked the reset all connections, which I hadn't noticed existed, and started my setup all over again, and unfortunately it didn't work. After a couple of reboots, and modifications of the active patchbay it started acting weird and connecting things where it shouldn't. :(

Thanks bluebell for your bit. Audacity works fine for me as it is. I switch between output devices from within the editor itself without any trouble at all.

nikgnomicradio, I'm not sure whether the jack mixer is to blame either.

I am interested in solving the issue if possible, but my knowledge is somewhat limited so I doubt I'll be able to do it without any help. Here's a more detailed list of things I do. I use a script to start everything up in a specific order. The active patchbay connects everything together. Giada, audacious and audacity are only opened by me manually when required, and are connected automatically also by the active patchbay. I have a UMC404HD sound card, 4ins and 4outs.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

qjackctl -p UMC404HD -a '/home/user/setupfiles/UMC404RadioPatchbay.xml' &

sleep 3

/usr/bin/meterbridge -t dpm -n INPUT x x x x &
/usr/bin/meterbridge -t dpm -n OUTPUT x x x x &

sleep 1

rotter -f flac -c 1 -n Nº1AudioLog -N Nº1AudioLog -L dailydir -v /home/user/Audio &
rotter -f flac -c 1 -n Nº2AudioLog -N Nº2AudioLog -L dailydir -v /home/user/Audio &
rotter -f flac -c 1 -n Nº3AudioLog -N Nº3AudioLog -L dailydir -v /home/user/Audio &
rotter -f flac -c 1 -n Nº4AudioLog -N Nº4AudioLog -L dailydir -v /home/user/Audio &
rotter -f flac -c 2 -n Nº5AudioLogST -N Nº5AudioLogST -L dailydir -v /home/user/Audio &

sleep 1

jack_mixer --config='/home/user/setupfiles/UMC404RadioJackMixer' &

sleep 1

calfjackhost --load '/home/user/setupfiles/UMC404RadioCalf'
First I start qjackctl with it's soundcard settings and active patchbay configuration. I use meterbridge to monitor direct input and output from the hardware. I use rotter for recording all the inputs, and the unprocessed main stereo output I produce. I use a plugin dynamics processor for the main output, and I also use a sidechain compressor for "ducking" a microphone when music/other material is being played from any of the players. From within jack mixer I can select whatever soundsource I need for ducking the microphone using an additional output bus and routing from there to the sidechain compressor input, which is also handled by qjackctl's patchbay.

The way I understand it (I may be extremely wrong) is that the active patchbay only affects the connections that were saved at the moment they were saved. The reset all connections on active patchbay activation only works on active patchbay recall and not afterwards. It shouldn't affect any other connections created later even if they differ from what is saved in the active patchbay. These late connections can be undone when needed, unlike the active pacthbay connections that reconnect themselves if disconnected.

I have to admit that my connections do not fit in a fullhd monitor, and I have to scroll up or down to see them all. Some might see it like a bit of a complex setup.

Sorry but I can't get the full res image to show on the forum, only a preview. Here's the full res image:
https://ibb.co/g5BhOT

The problem I have is that the active patchbay does not work. I get bad connections. In the screenshot you can see an exampe of a bad connection where the system capture 3 should go to input meter 3, nº3 audiolog, and jackmixer 3L, 3R and 3+4L only. As you can see, when my startup script is run the system capture 3 gets connected to more places. Now I am getting bad connections on all the system capture readable clients. The bad connections ussually occur between the jack mixer, calf plugins, system capture and system playback.

I am not bothered by the connections each different program creates by itself when told to. For example, if I tell giada or audacious to connect to the system playback by default in it's own preferences, this works ok and never fails, as it is independent from qjackctl's active patchbay.

By the way, don't midi connections get saved at all with the active patchbay?

Hope I haven't bored anyone with my problems... :D

Thanks!
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

care to show the qjackctl patchbay ? as loaded in by "/home/user/setupfiles/UMC404RadioPatchbay.xml" ?

note that the patchbay *does not save* any connections: what you do there is to *declare* the connections you wish to keep up, at all times, while it's activated.

byee

ps. you can always see what connections are being made by the active patchbay on the Messages window or log file (if you set one).
eddie3000
Established Member

Post by eddie3000 »

Here's the pathcbay screenshot. I have realized that there are multiple systems, jack mixers and calf studio gear appearing. Is That the problem?

Image[/img]
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

oh! maybe you better retry with a new one...
1. when you have all set, up and running and connected the way you wish to recall later, hit Patchbay > New and reply Yes to taking a snapshot;
2. then try to remove all the nodes (sockets in qjc patchbay parlance) that aren't connected anywhere or you're not really interested to preserve anyway.
4. save and re-activate...
hth.
cheers
ps. the multiple jack_mixer entries (sockets) are probably legitimate: the patchbay snapshot model splits client in socket/plugs (port groups) that are connected in parallel other another socket/plug (port group);
eddie3000
Established Member

Post by eddie3000 »

Thanks rncbc for your help. Unfortunately I am running very low on time and I'm not going to be able to carry on testing until.... monday maybe? I'm gratefult for your help, and just very busy with work, kids, etc... Not much time for myself.
Seeya!