The ocean of EQs

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

omer666
Established Member

Re: The ocean of EQs

Post by omer666 »

42low wrote:And my main vision is that a sound (both synth and recording) at base needs to be good.
I completely agree. The problem is that you can't always afford to re-take the troublesome parts, so having a tool that's able to save the day is always a good thing. I don't think having a great variety of plugins is a problem in itself as different tools can do different things. If you can't find your plugins quickly, you could use the "favourites" function.
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

the favorites list is something you must generate, add plugins to the list using the plugin manager.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

omer666 wrote:
42low wrote:Why a quest for something you already have available?
Because there are several differences between DSPs that may have a great impact on the end result.

The fact that the Calf EQ is very versatile is great (and it surely is, it matches the feature-level of many commercial plugins), but on some tunes that are more troublesome I couldn't get to a satisfying result using it.
Maybe in these cases a simple EQ is not the right tool. You might need something dynamically like a de-esser or a multiband compressor. Or you may edit a part of an audio clip offline because only one syllable needs processing.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

omer666
Established Member

Post by omer666 »

bluebell wrote: Maybe in these cases a simple EQ is not the right tool. You might need something dynamically like a de-esser or a multiband compressor. Or you may edit a part of an audio clip offline because only one syllable needs processing.
Agreed. But it didn't call for a multiband compressor, I can't really explain why.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

thebutant wrote:So if you like, please tell me (and everyone else) why you like this other eq, which one's your favourite.
As part of a mixing session setup in Mixbus32C I put x42 EQ at the top of each track for subtractive purposes. The current project has 35 tracks so far (without upcoming multing) not counting busses, so there are 35 instances of the X42 EQ. Then each track goes through the Mixbus32C EQ which is used for fine tuning.

Guitar tracks receive a special treatment consisting of the OvertoneDSP Pulltec and SSL (EQ4000) emulations, depending on context.

The tone controls of the Mixbus busses are also used from time to time. I find them great.

For mastering there's usually a Harrison XT-ME on the master bus. The tone controls can also be used.

As part of creating, in Bitwig, the OvertoneDSP AFM EQ can be used, as well as u-he Uhbik Q, for shaping the sounds. Tracktion's EQ is sometimes used.

All in all the idea is to do a little bit here and there, trying to avoid as much as possible large EQ cuts and boosts, unless it's for FXs. And that also depends on the quality of the recorded material.

Cheers.