Guitarix as a plugin?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Musicteacher
Established Member

Re: Guitarix as a plugin?

Post by Musicteacher »

Thank you. That's exactly was I did.

But if I insert a plugin that was generated as described in QTractor, it starts with no preset + no effects each time.

I have experimentet with the -f parameter in the plugin-xml. It seems that saving state does not occur at all when used this way as a plugin.

Normally Guitarix saves state when the program is closed, maybe QTractor closes it by killing hard, so it cannot save state. I don't know.

If someone has a working setup, this would indicate that I am doing something wrong. Then I would investigate further.

Thanks,
Andreas
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

I just did test it here and it's working with Qtractor. The Plugin comes up with the old parameters.

The xml file looks like:

Code: Select all

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<!DOCTYPE CARLA-PRESET>
<CARLA-PRESET VERSION='2.0'>
  <Info>
   <Type>JACK</Type>
   <Name>guitarix_Right</Name>
   <Filename>guitarix -D -n Right</Filename>
   <Setup>220001</Setup>
  </Info>

<Data>
   <Active>Yes</Active>
   <ControlChannel>1</ControlChannel>
   <Options>0x0</Options>
  </Data>
</CARLA-PRESET>
Musicteacher
Established Member

Post by Musicteacher »

Interesting. My xml file looks exactly the same (it had the -f parameter in it, but I removed it to resemble yours).

It does not work. Guitarix starts with no preset. The effects are those that were present when guitarix was last started in standalone mode.

Could you please post me the exact version number of Carla, Guitarix and QTractor you are using?

Thanks,
Andreas
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Hmm.. I tested if my own settings are recalled which is the case. When loading presets I get errors like the following in Qtractor and in Ardour. This didn't happen in the past.

[22:58:24]  loaded state  ***  from file /home/marco/.config/guitarix/Right_rc
[22:58:24]  Jack init  ***  The jack sample rate is 48000/sec
[22:58:24]  Jack init  ***  The jack buffer size is 528/frames is not power of two, Convolver wont run
[22:58:26]  read parameter  ***  parameter tremolo.SINE: unknown enum value: triangle
[22:58:26]  loaded preset  ***  clean_clean from file /usr/share/gx_head/factorysettings/Sonnie_Tele.gx
[22:58:26]  convolver  ***  error in Convproc::configure
[22:58:26]  convolver  ***  error in Convproc::configure
[22:58:30]  read parameter  ***  parameter tremolo.SINE: unknown enum value: triangle
[22:58:30]  loaded preset  ***  brett_flat_saw from file /usr/share/gx_head/factorysettings/Sonnie_Tele.gx
[22:58:30]  convolver  ***  error in Convproc::configure
[22:58:32]  read parameter  ***  parameter tremolo.SINE: unknown enum value: triangle
[22:58:32]  loaded preset  ***  crunch_picking from file /usr/share/gx_head/factorysettings/Sonnie_Tele.gx
[22:58:32]  convolver  ***  error in Convproc::configure
[22:58:33]  read parameter  ***  parameter tremolo.SINE: unknown enum value: triangle
[22:58:33]  loaded preset  ***  bass_finger_dist from file /usr/share/gx_head/factorysettings/Sonnie_Tele.gx
[22:58:33]  convolver  ***  error in Convproc::configure
[22:58:33]  convolver  ***  error in Convproc::configure
[22:58:35]  read parameter  ***  parameter tremolo.SINE: unknown enum value: triangle
[22:58:35]  loaded preset  ***  Bass_finger_clean from file /usr/share/gx_head/factorysettings/Sonnie_Tele.gx
[22:58:35]  convolver  ***  error in Convproc::configure
[22:58:35]  convolver  ***  error in Convproc::configure
[22:58:37]  read parameter  ***  parameter tremolo.SINE: unknown enum value: triangle
[22:58:37]  loaded preset  ***  clean_clean from file /usr/share/gx_head/factorysettings/Sonnie_Tele.gx
[22:58:37]  convolver  ***  error in Convproc::configure
[22:58:37]  convolver  ***  error in Convproc::configure
[22:58:50]  read parameter  ***  parameter tremolo.SINE: unknown enum value: triangle
[22:58:50]  loaded preset  ***  brett_flat_saw from file /usr/share/gx_head/factorysettings/Sonnie_Tele.gx
[22:58:50]  convolver  ***  error in Convproc::configure
[22:58:57]  read parameter  ***  parameter tremolo.SINE: unknown enum value: triangle
[22:58:57]  loaded preset  ***  brett_jcm from file /usr/share/gx_head/factorysettings/Sonnie_Tele.gx
[22:58:57]  convolver  ***  error in Convproc::configure

marco@fox:~$ carla --version
Using Carla version 1.9.12 (2.0-RC2)
  Python version: 3.5.3
  Qt version:     5.7.1
  PyQt version:   5.7
  Binary dir:     /usr/lib/carla
  Resources dir:  /usr/share/carla/resources

marco@fox:~$ guitarix  --version
Guitarix version 0.37.2git
   Copyright @ 2010 Hermman Meyer - James Warden - Andreas Degert

marco@fox:~$ qtractor  --version
Qt: 5.7.1
Qtractor: 0.9.1.5git.aebd7a
Musicteacher
Established Member

Post by Musicteacher »

Thank you.

I have carla 1.9.13, guitarix 0.37.3 and qtractor 0.9.3 with Qt 5.12.0.

So there might be a regression somewhere which leads to my problems.

I´m on arch, there is an older version of guitarix in the AUR, I will try that. The other packages are not that easy to downgrade.

Regards,
Andreas
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Did you make a test with Ardour or any other DAW, e.g. Reaper?
Musicteacher
Established Member

Post by Musicteacher »

No, not yet. I'll do that tomorrow.

I have a gig next friday, for that I need just one instance of guitarix anyway (for the bass guitar), because I will stick to my hardware guitar-simulation (good old line 6).

But in the long run I am very interested in switching to guitarix completely. The thought of saving all sounds of all guitars + basses + synths in one document is very attractive. But for that I need the plugin-functionality. One instance can be handled manually, but not several ones, I think.

Thank you for your patience!
Musicteacher
Established Member

Post by Musicteacher »

Ok, I found a solution / a workaround / maybe an explanation.

I did not succeed in trying this with ardour. That's probably why I was using qtractor in the first place: I instantly got along with it, while I do not get the basics of ardour (I am a long-time cubase user, have started this on the Atari ST, so I am pretty much at loss when a program behaves significantly different).

In QTractor I get the plugin to save state by using "Quit" in the Engine-menu. Then, when the plugin is loaded next time, the state is as it was when quit was used.

Probably qtractor does not quit the guitarix-plugin gracefully, rather just kills it. Thus state is not saved automatically.
donlombardo

Post by donlombardo »

tramp wrote:
pedrobotero wrote:where is the "add jack application" on carla?
when I open carla I don't see that option on the top bar
You need to go to Settings -> Configure Carla
In the Settings widget select Experimental, tick "Enable jack applications" and "Export single plugins to LV2"

Close the widget and the new shiny Add Jack application button will appear in the top bar.

I have done all the steps:
I've installed guitarix (no problems)
I've installed Carla
I've added the Carla vst to Reaper

BUT! I'm getting an error when I'm trying to add guitarix to Carla (see attachment for error message). I've followed all the tutorials and instructions in this thread, every correct box is ticked, but still getting the message. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? It's driving me insane.
Attachments
Skärmbild_2019-02-06_20-17-34.png
Skärmbild_2019-02-06_20-17-34.png (116.45 KiB) Viewed 3122 times
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

donlombardo wrote:I have done all the steps:
I've installed guitarix (no problems)
I've installed Carla
I've added the Carla vst to Reaper
You may want to ask falktx about that over here:
https://github.com/falkTX/Carla/issues
On the road again.
artofmusic
Established Member

Post by artofmusic »

The thing I'm more worried about then having LV2 and VST exported plugins in Carla would be being able to use automation in the DAW to control plugin parameters such as knobs and switches in plugins in the Carla rack. I get full access to Windows VST plugins with LinVst but not with Carla. One Synth, in particular, I would like to control the release knob via Ardour's audio automation and when I draw a line with LinVst it works, but there is no automation with Carla as a plugin :(( About Guitarix as a plugin just click add jack application, then right-click and "export as an LV2 Plugin". Another method is to use Gladish and click add application once it's started and type Guitarix.
hdr
Established Member

Post by hdr »

tramp wrote:
luciorgomes wrote:I think that the lv2 plugin created this way don't work as expected. The output is louder then the standalone application. The Master Volume is almost useless. And I think that the stereo plugins (gx_head_fx) are skipped, only the first stage (mono) is running (no reverb in the output).
Yes, I think you are right. Seems like the output from gx_head_amp is connected to the playback, even when you've selected the "use previous client output as input for next client" option.

To cover this, I've now added a new command-line switch (-D , --disable-multi-client) to run guitarix as a single jack client.
I guess that will make it easier to wrap guitarix as LV2 plugin.
I will commit it later today. EDIT: Done it's in our git repository now.
I have the same loudness problem. Where do I have to add a new command-line switch?

What does it mean, it's in your git-repository now? Is it possible to load a ready to use guitarix plugin somewhere?
hdr
Established Member

Re: Guitarix as a plugin? -> strange skin color

Post by hdr »

Although I use the default guitarix theme the color is very strange if started as plugin out of ardour:

If I start guitarix as standalone application it looks normal.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

hdr wrote:I have the same loudness problem. Where do I have to add a new command-line switch?
When you add guitarix in Carla you get a window "Add JACK Aplication", there you've a field "Command". The command should be:

guitarix -D -E 
hdr wrote:What does it mean, it's in your git-repository now? Is it possible to load a ready to use guitarix plugin somewhere?
I don't remember right now if I've pushed a release with those parameters already, a new guitarix version will come soon. It depend on your distribution how fast a ready to use binary is available to you.
Other then that you need to compile from our git-repository.
hdr wrote:Although I use the default guitarix theme the color is very strange if started as plugin out of ardour:
Looks like a missing gtk-engine in the carla build.
Latest guitarix from git didn't need a gtk-engine any more.
On the road again.
hdr
Established Member

Post by hdr »

tramp wrote:When you add guitarix in Carla you get a window "Add JACK Aplication", there you've a field "Command". The command should be:

guitarix -D -E 
that doesn't work:

guitarix -D -E
Unknown option -D
use "guitarix -h" to get a help text
fatal system error: Guitarix Commandline Option Error  ***  Unknown option -D
use "guitarix -h" to get a help text
tramp wrote:Looks like a missing gtk-engine in the carla build.
Do you have any idea how to fix it?