Guitarix as a plugin?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

mark swanson
Established Member

Guitarix as a plugin?

Post by mark swanson »

I am new to running my DAW (Tracktion Waveform) in Linux, I am using Ubuntu Studio 16.04. I am interested in Guitarix, but it will not run as a plug in on my system. Is there something I need to do to make that happen?
Is there a guide somewhere to using this cool looking app? I am starting at ground zero on this one. Thanks!
tramp
Established Member

Re: Guitarix as a plugin?

Post by tramp »

Hi, and welcome to linux! :)

Well, it is possible, but it requires some work to be done.
At first, you need carla, from the KxStudio repository, for the case you haven't already enabled the KxStudio repositories, check out here how to do it:
http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Repositories

After enabled you need to install carla, as best just install all related carla packages.

Then, start carla and select from the top bar "add jack application". In the popup window insert as
Name: guitarix
Command : guitarix
set
Audio Inputs to 2 (this is needed because carla-rack could only load plugins with equal in/output ports)
enable "use previus client output buffer as input for next client"
and press ok.

Now you've loaded guitarix in carla. Next step is to export as LV2 plugin. In the Rack view, make a right click on the Guitarix Rack, select "export as LV2 plugin", give it a name and be done.
After that, you need to copy the newly created folder from (properly your home directory, to the hidden folder ~/.lv2.
When done you must rescan the plugins in Carla.
After all this you could start tracktion and insert Carla-RackFX, which is a vst-plugin(host). Then you could load guitarix inside Carla-RackFX as LV2 plugin with the "add Plugin" button.
Now you've Guitarix as plugin in Tracktion.

Here is the Ultimate Guide to Getting Started With Guitarix
On the road again.
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

Nice! I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for the info!
skei
Established Member

Post by skei »

falkTX wrote:Sometime soon I will also add a VST export option, as most commercial linux DAWs do not support LV2 yet.
oohh! that will be awesome!!! :-)
- tor-helge
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

42low wrote:After trying guitarix and deleting it again, it's plugins still remained in my daw (ardour) and other software.
I also believe that it's plugin pack can be downloaded from the repro's.
That depend on from were you've installed guitarix. While on KxStudio guitarix is a single package, including all plugins and library's, on regular debian/ubuntu repository's guitarix comes as multi-format-package.
So when you wont to get rid of all guitarix stuff and have installed from debian/ubuntu you need to remove the following packages:
guitarix
guitarix-common
guitarix-doc
guitarix-ladspa
guitarix-lv2
gxw-glade
libgxw-dev
libgxw0
libgxwmm-dev
libgxwmm0
On the road again.
luciorgomes
Established Member

Post by luciorgomes »

I think that the lv2 plugin created this way don't work as expected. The output is louder then the standalone application. The Master Volume is almost useless. And I think that the stereo plugins (gx_head_fx) are skipped, only the first stage (mono) is running (no reverb in the output).
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

luciorgomes wrote:I think that the lv2 plugin created this way don't work as expected. The output is louder then the standalone application. The Master Volume is almost useless. And I think that the stereo plugins (gx_head_fx) are skipped, only the first stage (mono) is running (no reverb in the output).
Yes, I think you are right. Seems like the output from gx_head_amp is connected to the playback, even when you've selected the "use previous client output as input for next client" option.

To cover this, I've now added a new command-line switch (-D , --disable-multi-client) to run guitarix as a single jack client.
I guess that will make it easier to wrap guitarix as LV2 plugin.
I will commit it later today. EDIT: Done it's in our git repository now.

regards
hermann
On the road again.
luciorgomes
Established Member

Post by luciorgomes »

Thanks guys, working fine now... :D
franlopez
Established Member

Post by franlopez »

This is great, thank you so much!

I can load the Carla generated LV2 in Ardour and everything works great. Only caveat, state is not persistent between sessions. If I save the session and quit Ardour, when I reopen, the plugin is still in the track, Guitarix is back to it's "default" state.

Is there anything I can do about this? In Carla, when I go to "Add a new Jack Application", there's a dropdown for Session Manager, but it's grayed down. Am I missing something?

Thanks again!
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

franlopez wrote: If I save the session and quit Ardour, when I reopen, the plugin is still in the track, Guitarix is back to it's "default" state.

Is there anything I can do about this?
Just "quit" guitarix from the guitarix menu, to force save state.
On the road again.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

I'm completely confused now. I exported the guitarix as a lv2 plugin.
How to proceed when using let's say 3 of these (left, right, center guitar) in one Ardour session independently?

The only thing that seems to work is to save a preset for each of these 3 tracks. When starting Ardour the presets are not choosen automatically, they have to be assigned by hand each time. Do I oversee something or is this the way it works?

edit: I doesn't work like this ... somehow the presets are always switched from track to track

Ah... one question came up at IRC: Should a distortion pedal be before or after the tube amp head?
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

lilith wrote:The only thing that seems to work is to save a preset for each of these 3 tracks. When starting Ardour the presets are not choosen automatically, they have to be assigned by hand each time. Do I oversee something or is this the way it works?
You could give each guitarix instance it's own name. It's the -n command-line switch.
Just edit the xml file in the exported bundle ( or export it with the -n option set) so that the line :

Code: Select all

<Filename>guitarix -D</Filename>
becomes:

<Filename>guitarix -D -n Rhythm</Filename>
or

<Filename>guitarix -D -n Bass</Filename>
or, whatever.
Then, every instance use it's own state file.

You need a export from carla of guitarix for every instance to reach that.
You could give the name for the LV2 plug according to the name you give guitarix with the -n switch to keep it easy to use.
On the road again.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Thanks. I'll make a test later. Mabye using the gx lv2 plugins will be easier under the line and more cpu friendly. I'll see ...
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

lilith wrote: Mabye using the gx lv2 plugins will be easier under the line
I guess it depend on what you are used to use. If you are familiar with guitarix and have your preset banks set up, it may come handy to use them as plugin.
If you never used guitarix, the lv2-plugs may suite your needs better.
lilith wrote: and more cpu friendly

That is unlikely, as far I could see, carla as host, ain't add much (if any) CPU usage, and the same is true for guitarix.
All dsp load comes from the plugins, regardless if you load them in guitarix, or straight into your DAW.
What, you may spare, is some memory (RAM) as guitarix pre-load and look in memory some stuff to allow fast preset switching for example. Indeed, our focus is on live usage, not on the use as plugin in a DAW, but you could be ensured that we be careful with our algorithms and ain't waste CPU time.

However, it's nice that it is possible to load guitarix as plugin, thanks to the work of falkTX.
On the road again.
xaccrocheur
Established Member

Post by xaccrocheur »

tramp wrote:Hi, and welcome to linux! :)

Well, it is possible, but it requires some work to be done.
And this completely works. All the PHANTASTIC gx presets world at your fingertips. But hey, it's a dirty hack. So yea, OK when I load my carla-exported plugin, I can acces any GX preset. But if I close the window, the sound is gone on this track. Also, when saving and reloading the session, no sound on the track. I have to fiddle something, i'm not sure what, to get my sound back. Oh, and when I export the track in qtractor, sometimes I get no guitar, too. Oh, well, apart from that, Guitarix sounds grand, sublime.
yPhil | Music & Code | Mastodon