How to make circular audio spectrum in kdenlive?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

KnownAsDon

How to make circular audio spectrum in kdenlive?

Post by KnownAsDon »

I am planning of doing a project where I want to use some music and I dont have any background or clip to fit it in with. Now for personal reasons I am not giving any more information about the subject of the project but I'm just saying that it is really important for me and I want to make it look as sick as possible. So before I used to switch to linux which was like 2 years ago I used to use windows and adobe products...mostly photoshop and ai and now I've switched to such as gimp and inkscape, but I know what in adobe after effect you can do an circular audio spectrum and highly customize it such as famous youtubers trap nation, ncs etc. And the alternative for after effects/ premiere in linux is kdenlive. I've been using it for quite a while now and it is just simple and powerfull, but when I was looking of making an audio spectrum I just had the option of the circular one. So can you please tell me how do I achieve my goal? It doesnt have to be in kdenlive only it can be in something like fase or i dont know, just help me pls, i'd greatly appreciate it!
Markus
Established Member

Re: How to make circular audio spectrum in kdenlive?

Post by Markus »

I guess what you're looking for is polar distortion? If so - I'm not aware of any effect like this in KDEnlive. So what you have to do is:
  • decompose your rectangular spectrum footage to single frames (might eat up quite some harddisk space) like

Code: Select all

mkdir frames && ffmpeg -i spectrum.avi frames/%05d.jpg
  • distort all frames with imagemagick like

mogrify -background black -distort  Polar  0 frames/*.jpg
  • Use the single frames as footage in KDEnlive or re-compose them back to video beforehand (might add redundant loss in quality) like

ffmpeg -r 1/25 -i frames/%05d.jpg -c:v libx264 -vf fps=25 polarized.mp4
Please keep in mind that this is written out of memory, so untested and it might contain errors.