My wish for ZynAddSubFX: Grouped Drum Kit

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

GraysonPeddie
Established Member

My wish for ZynAddSubFX: Grouped Drum Kit

Post by GraysonPeddie »

So I have recreated four tom drums using ZynAddSubFX that is based on the soundtrack from Captain EO pre-show music in between 7:20 to 9:00 and I want the tom sounds not to overlap when I play tom drums in succession. Basically, I want the four tom drums to be monophonic -- that the next press of a key in keyboard would interrupt the currently-played tom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z72wOGlasc
(educational purposes only)

As a workaround, I would have to record all four toms into Audacity, save them as separate wave files, and then load it up in Hydrogen.

For me, this is inconvenient. Is it possible to add this in open-source version of ZynAddSubFX? If the specification for the instrument file has to be changed, I don't mind that. In my opinion, the "Instrument Kit" dialog is incomplete and does not allow the toms to sound monophonic.
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
fundamental
Established Member

Re: My wish for ZynAddSubFX: Grouped Drum Kit

Post by fundamental »

GraysonPeddie wrote:So I have recreated four tom drums using ZynAddSubFX that is based on the soundtrack from Captain EO pre-show music in between 7:20 to 9:00 and I want the tom sounds not to overlap when I play tom drums in succession. Basically, I want the four tom drums to be monophonic -- that the next press of a key in keyboard would interrupt the currently-played tom
Kit level polyphony control could be an interesting bit of functionality.
Would you mind copying the request to the sourceforge feature tracker?
open-source version of ZynAddSubFX
At the time of writing there is no non-"open-source version of ZynAddSubFX"
ZynAddSubFX maintainer
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

The only thing I'm not new to is downloading programs from SourceForge and that's about it, so let's just say I'm new to just about everything else in SourceForge, including creating my new account for it. I'm going to call it a night.

Thanks. I will register whenever I get the time to do so.
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

This is a bug, I run in to it trying to make basses. Set to monophonic and the release to a medium value, now the notes overlap and and it is not truly monophonic.
fundamental
Established Member

Post by fundamental »

sysrqer wrote:This is a bug, I run in to it trying to make basses. Set to monophonic and the release to a medium value, now the notes overlap and and it is not truly monophonic.
That is a separate issue from what is being discussed
ZynAddSubFX maintainer
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

Right. Kick and snare can overlap. But when it comes to open hi-hat, think of the stick hitting the hi-hat that is open, but then the pedal is pressed to play a pedaled hi-hat; thus, stopping the tail of an open hi-hat. Each kit can have its own group number. For example, the open, pedaled, and closed hi-hat would have a group number set to 1 and toms would have a group number set to 2. The two groups will be monophonic, whereas the rest of the group that does not have a group number assigned would be polyphonic. So yeah, that's no bug, but a feature request.

I'll get right to it once I create a SourceForge account
--Grayson Peddie

GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

I've created a ticket for ZynAddSubFX. I tried to use "graysonpeddie" as my username but that must have been far too long ago that I've forgotten how long it's been since I've created an account. But since I can't remember the password, I've had to create a new account so I can open a ticket for a feature request.

Anyway, here it is:
https://sourceforge.net/p/zynaddsubfx/f ... uests/106/
--Grayson Peddie