BespokeSynth - modular softsynth/graphical programming env./DAW

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

milkii
Established Member

BespokeSynth - modular softsynth/graphical programming env./DAW

Post by milkii »

An openFrameworks / Juce based project. Looks amazing though Mac focused at the moment. Can anyone advise if this could be built for Linux?

https://github.com/awwbees/BespokeSynth

Videos:
* Bespoke Synth Sizzler - 0:55
* Bespoke presets - 0:54
* Bespoke synth demo video - 22:36
Last edited by milkii on Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

simonvanderveldt
Established Member

Re: BespokeSynth - modular softsynth/graphical programming env./DAW - Linux build?

Post by simonvanderveldt »

Not sure if it works the same way but looks a bit like a fancier version of sunvox.
Anyway, looks quiet nice!
You can always create an issue about Linux support.
milkii
Established Member

Re: BespokeSynth - modular softsynth/graphical programming env./DAW - Linux build?

Post by milkii »

Thank yous for the feedback.

edit; prior posts were removed by someone deleting their account
Last edited by milkii on Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

Greetings,

I've successfully built and run the standalone on Fedora 23. Details of the code-level changes have been posted to the project's issues on github and the author is aware of them. Audio is working well, but I haven't yet tested anything MIDI.

I've also built the VST2 plugin for Fedora 23 and Ubuntu 18.04. No problems were reported by the build, but the plugin isn't recognized by Bitwig 2.3.5 and the latest Reaper. I plan to debug that problem during the week.

Best,

dp
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

Interesting find. And thanks for building tips.
While it needs some additional work in Linux. For me it crashes on load/save state; has not "option" button for device configuration, and I'm unable to delete modules :)

BTW, I found the way to load preset and even got a nice sound and animation with midi keyboard)
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

Greetings,

The author has updated the code. I haven't done any extreme tests to find what's new/improved, but the Help text now displays correctly. The Help is outdated but still useful. NB: The instructions are for the Mac version.

@Kott - Select the module first then use the BackSpace key.

Best,

dp
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

Hi,
No luck. Does it works for you?
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

Kott wrote:
No luck. Does it works for you?
I double-checked to be sure and yes, it works... sort of:

https://youtu.be/v8fHJ3jkvNk

So apparently some modules can be deleted as I described, others can not.

HTH,

dp
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

Thanks, I guess transport and scale modules are mandatory.
Gonna to catch this bug.
The sad side is that author is not aimed to make stable release, it's just hobby. But maybe with good userbase things may change:)
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

Kott wrote:Thanks, I guess transport and scale modules are mandatory.
Gonna to catch this bug.
The sad side is that author is not aimed to make stable release, it's just hobby. But maybe with good userbase things may change:)
We can hope. :)

Fortunately, it's an open-source project, anyone is free to get their hands into the code.

I'm not a programmer, not by any stretch of the imagination. But I have studied some languages (C, Lisp, Tcl/Tk back in the day) and I got some excellent instruction on debugging from a master programmer. Between JUCE and Google it wasn't very difficult to get BespokeSynth running on Linux. Remaining bugs might be tough to catch and fix, especially if the errors are in the DSP code, but anyone can try.

Yesterday I updated a Java-based program to run with the latest openJDK. It was a problem because the program depends on the Jogamp software, which must be built from source to work with openJDK11. Fortunately, the needed components built easily and I eventually got the target updated and running again.

C++ is my dread, I have trouble debugging it unless the errors are simple. I'm also lousy at decrypting SuperCollider error messages. :)

Btw, if you run into errors with BespokeSynth it's still a good idea to report them to the project Issues page on github. I'll take a swing at resolving problems I find there.

Best regards,

dp
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

Ok, thanking to your video :)
I tried to click module's header and then delete it. Actually we have to select it by clicking on canvas and drag selection on module.

PS. I'm not programmer too, yet, i hope
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

Kott wrote:I tried to click module's header and then delete it. Actually we have to select it by clicking on canvas and drag selection on module.
Yes, thank you, that's the correct description of the procedure. Btw, you can delete a cable by disconnecting it and pressing BackSpace at the same time. It's a bit twisty, I think we need to improve some of the key-press functions. :)

Also btw, I built the latest sources and I can now load native Linux VSTs in BespokeSynth. I've tested OxeFM, Dexed, and three u-he synths (TyrellN6, Triple Cheese, BeatZilla), all work as they should, GUIs included. Adds more fun to the fun:

Best,

dp
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

I see that too!
Need to mention (if someone use it in Linux too) that plugins path has to be manually defined in userprefs.json
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

It has build-in python scripting now.

I've made package of BespokeSynth. https://software.opensuse.org//download ... spokeSynth (or https://software.opensuse.org//download ... spokeSynth)

It is slightly patched to use data in ~/.config/BespokeSynth/data rather than in data directory beside binary.
Keeping these configs up-to date is manual way only. Them can be copied from BespokeSynth-data.rpm (/usr/share/BespokeSynth/data) or from author's GH.