BespokeSynth - modular softsynth/graphical programming env./DAW

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sysrqer
Established Member

Re: BespokeSynth - modular softsynth/graphical programming env./DAW - Linux build?

Post by sysrqer »

Interesting. I'm not symlinking anything but from what you've said it seems there might be an issue connected to prefabs.
Kott
Established Member

Re: BespokeSynth - modular softsynth/graphical programming env./DAW - Linux build?

Post by Kott »

LAM wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:18 pm I now have other problems: When I enter numerical values with the keyboard in some modules BespokeSynth freeze (in the terminal it shows "corrupted size vs. prev_size").

Not sure, my wild guess it's that could be linked to the "De-JUCE" commits going on after September 27. If nobody reported it would means that I'm the only one experiencing it (because of my setup/build) or very few people use the keyboard to enter values. :mrgreen:
It could be from changes in TextEntry. What modules are affected?
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

Kott wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:24 pm It could be from changes in TextEntry. What modules are affected?
Almost every, if not every, module.

To reproduce change a value in some module's sliders (gain for example) at least three times.

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

LAM wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:27 pm
Kott wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:24 pm It could be from changes in TextEntry. What modules are affected?
Almost every, if not every, module.

To reproduce change a value in some module's sliders (gain for example) at least three times.
Are you on the HEAD?

It should be fixed in https://github.com/BespokeSynth/Bespoke ... 3d5d33c1e3 and i cannot reproduce this.
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

Kott wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:03 am
Are you on the HEAD?

It should be fixed in https://github.com/BespokeSynth/Bespoke ... 3d5d33c1e3 and i cannot reproduce this.
Hi @Kott,
thanks for having a look.

I purged the git repo and cloned from scratch, compiled without my vestige VST2 changes, tried on a different machine too.
The problem is still there.
Once I enter a numeric value on some slider with the keyboard the second or third time it will freeze Bespoke and a "corrupted size vs. prev_size" will appear on the terminal. :|

[UPDATE] Once I got rid of the old BespokeSynth config folder in ~/Documents it works.
Note to self: Always purge EVERYTHING. :lol:

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

And I've lost another one. No prefabs anywhere this time. Does this mean anything significant?

Code: Select all

Terminate called after throwing an instance of 'UnknownModuleException'
  what():  std::exception
Killed
It's so frustrating, it was working fine and was ready to record it so I closed and tried to reopen (so I could use the Write Audio) and now it won't open at all.
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

sysrqer wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:07 pm And I've lost another one. No prefabs anywhere this time. Does this mean anything significant?

Code: Select all

Terminate called after throwing an instance of 'UnknownModuleException'
  what():  std::exception
Killed
It's so frustrating, it was working fine and was ready to record it so I closed and tried to reopen (so I could use the Write Audio) and now it won't open at all.
I had the the same error once, no idea on what it is. Which build/version are you using, self compiled, distro, 1.0 binary?

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

LAM wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:36 pm

I had the the same error once, no idea on what it is. Which build/version are you using, self compiled, distro, 1.0 binary?
I was using the binary from Kott's ppa but just built from source and still the same. I've run into a problem granulator now as well, it's simply not working in one of my projects, no red dots. I replace it with the a new instance and copy the settings, reopen the project and it's not working again. Such a shame.
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

LAM wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:53 am
[UPDATE] Once I got rid of the old BespokeSynth config folder in ~/Documents it works.
Note to self: Always purge EVERYTHING. :lol:
On my main machine I still have the "corrupted size vs. prev_size" problem, purged everything (repo and config folders) though.

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

How about granulator, were you using that in any of the lost projects?

I feel bad to moan about it because it's such a powerful tool and it's amazing that it's open source and free, I have found some really cool tricks which I could probably make an album out of, and I want to, but these bugs are killing me. It's like going back to using ardour and if you use the wrong plugin it vanishes and you lose all our work. Or even worse because it can all work when you save but then you can never load it again so it's like a lottery every time you work in it.
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

sysrqer wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:10 pm How about granulator, were you using that in any of the lost projects?

I feel bad to moan about it because it's such a powerful tool and it's amazing that it's open source and free, I have found some really cool tricks which I could probably make an album out of, and I want to, but these bugs are killing me. It's like going back to using ardour and if you use the wrong plugin it vanishes and you lose all our work. Or even worse because it can all work when you save but then you can never load it again so it's like a lottery every time you work in it.
:lol: That's so true, but my experience with Ardour has been positive overall, I used the 6.5 till the previous week.

I could have used the granulator in that patch, but I'm not sure, I started quite a few experiments so I could very well be mistaken.
BespokeSynth was released to the "wide public" less then one month ago, I believe this will get bigger and I'm sure many things will be fixed, there are very good devs involved and new commits are daily.
We should have a bit of patience (and save projects often and with different names, like versioning, for the time being). ;)

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

LAM wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:22 pm
We should have a bit of patience (and save projects often and with different names, like versioning, for the time being). ;)
Haha definitely!

Yeah it's really encouraging to see what progress is happening behind the scenes, I was very encouraged to see commits from baconpaul today and I think Kott did a pull request as well, and azure builds I saw the dev posting about on twitter.

It has to get better, it's so amazing and the dev has been doing it for so long that it has to grow. It's so powerful and flexible that it would be up there with VCV Rack if these issues weren't an issue. I do love it though, I recently bought a Digitakt and a 0-Coast but I still find myself drawn to Bespoke.
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

sysrqer wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:51 pm
LAM wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:36 pm

I was using the binary from Kott's ppa but just built from source and still the same. I've run into a problem granulator now as well, it's simply not working in one of my projects, no red dots. I replace it with the a new instance and copy the settings, reopen the project and it's not working again. Such a shame.
hey,
this repo https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... spokesynth is abandoned and will be deleted now
i've made a new one global for all distros: https://software.opensuse.org//download ... spokesynth
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

And I cannot reproduce such crashes on my machine (it's very doubtful that case is that i'm on openSUSE and you're on Debian).
It would be nice if you post the issue with steps at https://github.com/BespokeSynth/BespokeSynth/issues
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

Kott wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:08 am And I cannot reproduce such crashes on my machine (it's very doubtful that case is that i'm on openSUSE and you're on Debian).
It would be nice if you post the issue with steps at https://github.com/BespokeSynth/BespokeSynth/issues
Hi @Kott,
thanks for your work.

I tried the package for Debian 11 (Debian 10 one throws the famous libpython error ofc) and I have the same error "corrupted size vs. prev_size" when entering values with the keyboard. I have deleted the config folder before trying it.

I have a build before Sep 28 and it works well, I can still have fun with BespokeSynth luckily. :D

I will investigate more what can cause this on Debian sid, maybe it's some newer package... time for test in some VMs.