Dragonfly Hall Reverb

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: Dragonfly Hall Reverb

Post by funkmuscle »

falkTX wrote:In DPF, presets for VST are not exported. Too much hassle to make it work per spec.
oh ok falkTX. thanx
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

funkmuscle wrote: did a fresh pull from git and the lv2 crashes Ardour but the VST is fine so far. No crashing of Ardour when exiting the VST.
The only thing is the VST doesn't have the presets but the lv2 does. Dunno if that was mentioned earlier in this thread.
Thanks for testing it again, I'll have to spend more time on the lv2 in Linux.

Rghvdberg did implement a feature that allows you to select presets from the GUI... isn't that working in the VST?
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Michael Willis wrote:
funkmuscle wrote: did a fresh pull from git and the lv2 crashes Ardour but the VST is fine so far. No crashing of Ardour when exiting the VST.
The only thing is the VST doesn't have the presets but the lv2 does. Dunno if that was mentioned earlier in this thread.
Thanks for testing it again, I'll have to spend more time on the lv2 in Linux.

Rghvdberg did implement a feature that allows you to select presets from the GUI... isn't that working in the VST?
no and according to falkTX
falkTX wrote:
In DPF, presets for VST are not exported. Too much hassle to make it work per spec.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

falkTX wrote:exported presets are different from changing values from the UI.
the UI preset stuff should work on all plugin versions.
ok now I understand. So Michael, only the default preset is there in the VST. On the LV2 it's all there but as mentioned, crashes on exit.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Ok, for real this time! This weekend I tested on Linux to find the cause of the crash-on-exit (off-by-one error, rawr :oops:). I made a new release with Linux VST, LV2, and the standalone Jack app: https://github.com/michaelwillis/dragon ... /tag/0.9.0

Funkmuscle, I'm not sure about presets and VST, the behavior of DPF's preset mechanism is different between VST and LV2 versions. For what it's worth, now that I've fixed the bug I recommend the LV2 version.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Michael Willis wrote:Ok, for real this time! This weekend I tested on Linux to find the cause of the crash-on-exit (off-by-one error, rawr :oops:). I made a new release with Linux VST, LV2, and the standalone Jack app: https://github.com/michaelwillis/dragon ... /tag/0.9.0

Funkmuscle, I'm not sure about presets and VST, the behavior of DPF's preset mechanism is different between VST and LV2 versions. For what it's worth, now that I've fixed the bug I recommend the LV2 version.
All is well now!! I removed anything to do with the DragonFly and reinstalled. Both VST and LV2 are fine
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

funkmuscle wrote:All is well now!! I removed anything to do with the DragonFly and reinstalled. Both VST and LV2 are fine
Woohoo! Great success! Unless somebody else has trouble, I think all that's left is to make proper credits and cut a 1.0 release.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Michael Willis wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:All is well now!! I removed anything to do with the DragonFly and reinstalled. Both VST and LV2 are fine
Woohoo! Great success! Unless somebody else has trouble, I think all that's left is to make proper credits and cut a 1.0 release.
Sweet!! thanx again guys!
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

Michael Willis wrote:Ok, for real this time! This weekend I tested on Linux to find the cause of the crash-on-exit (off-by-one error, rawr :oops:). I made a new release with Linux VST, LV2, and the standalone Jack app: https://github.com/michaelwillis/dragon ... /tag/0.9.0

Working great here! Thanks for all your work!
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Thanks everybody for the encouragement and interest in this project! There are a few minor annoyances and suggestions that people have reported. I'll still make incremental improvements here and there.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

I just released a minor update:

https://github.com/michaelwillis/dragon ... /tag/0.9.1

The "about" box now has real content. I removed the ability for the host to pick a preset, since it didn't completely work with picking presets from the UI. I may revisit that feature at some point. I switched to a different fast fourier transform implementation to make it easier to build cross-platform.

There is now a version that I hope will work for any of our friends who use Windows. I tested it with the Carla bridge, but have not had any Windows users report whether it works for them or not.
lilakmonoke
Established Member

Post by lilakmonoke »

thats is a great project, im just now downloading it ...

there is a great need for high end reverbs in linux. i like 80s "primitive" algorithms and mainly use the valhalla reverbs which are based on vintage reverbs and are by far the best software reverbs on the planet. they run fine under wine btw.

https://valhalladsp.com/

i also program my own reverbs in pure data. here is one based on a vintage lexicon reverb. its just a loop of six allpass filters but the delay times are higher prime numbers with no modulation so you get a fairly complex pulsing reverb tail. here it is in action, this is an alternative soundtrack for the "blade runner" opening scene :-)

http://tindeck.com/listen/fezoa

id love to get into programming something like that in plugin form but have no clue how to do that. my dream is always a reverb that has adjustable rhythmic qualities so it becomes an instrument and not just an effect.
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

Faust audio programming language might be something for you then.
It can 'export' to various plugin formats and programming languages.

This plugin is made with DPF, which I find very easy to use.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

lilakmonoke wrote:id love to get into programming something like that in plugin form but have no clue how to do that.
Your biggest challenge will probably be learning C++, which is not insurmountable with enough help. Writing a plugin effectively boils down to writing a function that takes an input buffer, an output buffer, and a number that indicates how many samples to process.
protozone
Established Member

interesting

Post by protozone »

@Michael and others

Yeah, I like algorithmic reverbs too!
I got spoiled in college hearing real TC Electronics and Lexicon reverbs but occasionally I'll hear a specific VST that nails a pro sound.

Wow, I'm impressed. I just don't know how to program really. I passed a C+ and C++ programming course in college, but I've never done anyting other than class assignments. I even had a used copy of CodeWarrior back in the day, but it all scares me.

I have a lot of ideas for VST effects and synths, but just lack the know-how.
It's really cool when others know this stuff and share.

By the way, how does an end user person use a GIT? I can't even figure that out yet.

And can anybody point me the way to download the original freeverb 32-bit VST plugin (for windows)? I have freeverbToo and freeverb3, but freeverb original had a specific sound that I covet.