Studio mics IR

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: Studio mics IR

Post by funkmuscle »

yep, I'm seeing a lot of cool plugins for Windows and MacOX so that's why I suggest or ask if we have anything like that.
Everyone records at home in a bedroom in a house or like my an apartment/condo or basement.
So most not ideal for recording so when I see these cool plugins, I get excited. My thing is if it sounds good and it sounds like a 4x12 mic'd up, why care if it sounds exactly like a say Shure57M or whatever is used now.
The TwoNotes does an awesome job when I tested the pedal version Torpedo C.A.B. so yes, we're at the age of simulation I guess ever since the synth but now amp/cab/mic sims are made, Guitarix for example or even that Headphones calibration plugin from for Sonarworks. They may not be the real thing but they come close.

That's where I'm coming from. I know we can't mimic the real thing 100% but we come close or we can try if possible.
singforme
Established Member

Post by singforme »

The Slate VMS is an example that you can actually model microphones very well. My personal experience on listening to different microphones with similar polar patterns is that they mainly differ in frequency response, proximity effect, saturation and in the way they handle transients. I have no clue how to emulate proximity effect but I assume that all the three other factors that I'm aware of should be doable. IRs would probably be less convincing because they can't really take into account transients and saturation/distortion that are both very much dependent on input gain. Off course the slate vms users a stellar microphone for maximal neutrality but I assume that any fairly neutral condenser could give useable results in emulating less neutral models.

http://slatedigital.com/virtual-microphone-system/
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

singforme wrote:The Slate VMS is an example that you can actually model microphones very well. My personal experience on listening to different microphones with similar polar patterns is that they mainly differ in frequency response, proximity effect, saturation and in the way they handle transients. I have no clue how to emulate proximity effect but I assume that all the three other factors that I'm aware of should be doable. IRs would probably be less convincing because they can't really take into account transients and saturation/distortion that are both very much dependent on input gain. Off course the slate vms users a stellar microphone for maximal neutrality but I assume that any fairly neutral condenser could give useable results in emulating less neutral models.
That's very interesting. I wish I knew more about microphones physics...