Screaming amp simulation ideas?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Nachei
Established Member

Screaming amp simulation ideas?

Post by Nachei »

I'm making a song that requires a "screaming amp" entering at a certain point -that kind of effect where you kick the distortion pedal on and all hell breaks loose; one famous example would be Nirvana's "Sliver" (amp entering at 18"; I would like mine to be even more screaming and blizzard-like).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f87OQkzWQik

Is there some feasible way to get this kind of effect inside the box, other than using sampling? I know digital distortion works in a different way, etc, so maybe it isn't even possible, but I thought maybe here someone would have run into the same need and could give me some idea... Thank you for any suggestion.
singforme
Established Member

Re: Screaming amp simulation ideas?

Post by singforme »

This is just valve Amp Feedback. Should work if you Use an electric guitar or microphone in combination with a guitarix amp sim (a distorted preset or make your own) and loudspeakers: use the git or mic as input on guitarix, dial in an overdriven setting and then move the guitar/microphone slowly towards your speakers. Don't turn them up too loud though or you might lose your hearing or speakers;)
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

I've been surprised at how little volume I've needed to get feedback in the past. High gain, but just keep the speakers turned down.

That said I'd love for someone to figure out and release an open plugin that does this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puXTs6z ... tu.be&t=40
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Post by Frank Carvalho »

What would happen, if you run an overdriven amp stack in Guitarix with a cab sim at the end, route that signal through a short delay and back to the input at low volume, and perhaps with a bit of EQ? Kind of what feedback does anyway.

Frank
Vox, Selmer, Yamaha and Leslie amplifiers. Rickenbacker, Epiphone, Ibanez, Washburn, Segovia, Yamaha and Fender guitars. Hammond, Moog, Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Crumar, Ensoniq and Mellotron keyboards. Xubuntu+KXStudio recording setup.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

Frank Carvalho wrote:What would happen, if you run an overdriven amp stack in Guitarix with a cab sim at the end, route that signal through a short delay and back to the input at low volume, and perhaps with a bit of EQ? Kind of what feedback does anyway.

Frank
I would indeed do that, but with also a filter in the feedback loop. And start giving the filter super low gain (attenuating really, and a lot) to prevent disruptive feedback. Then, I would raise the gain and alter filter shape slowly until I find the tone I want.
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

I don't want to speak for the OP, but I have the impression he does not have/play the guitar, which would add another layer of trickery.

The easiest way to get this done in any case is not on the computer--this really needs AIR if it's going to sound anything like what he is going for. :)
listenable at c6a7.org
Nachei
Established Member

Post by Nachei »

Thank you for all the responses. Wow, I had a premonition of crickets when I wrote the post, because most of the stuff I see here is usually techno/acoustic, but hasn't been the case, so thank you...

My equipment is very limited, so any real amp solution is not possible for me right now (that's what I meant by "in the box", I thought the expression was commonly used for "software-only solution", but maybe some people considered that I was speaking of the physical amp as a "box"?).

So I tried Frank Carvalho's solution, and I have to say it's pretty convincing; at first, it sounded too monotone, like the beep of a cardiogram in flatline. But when you add EQ, as you move the EQ, you get different sounds that make it very amp-like. I think recording that and mixing it with my plan B will give a very convincing effect. In the end what you do is the same process physics does, but I never had thought of it because feeding a track to itself is one of those no-nos you have, only good if you want to fry your brain (of course, keeping the volume low when you do this is golden advice... :P )

I'll also give a try to 42low's solution at some point, but I'm going to try this one first and see if it does the trick, because this kind of technical stuff blows my fuse very quick. Thank you for the research, 42low, btw, what a change, last time I checked you were doing a reggaeton! A real musical polymath... :)

Thank you everybody and keep rocking...
Nachei
Established Member

Post by Nachei »

Hey 42low, thank you for all the resources....
Btw. I can advice you a modeling amp. Those are not expencive at all if you buy a used one ($50 at most must be possible).
Yes please, do recommend. Were the guitar snippets of your last clip recorded with a modeling amp? That sound would really work with what I do. I know people have a problem of gear acquisition, but I'm the contrary; I'd love to buy an amp that is flexible and let's me be done with the fricking amp thing, etc... If you can give me a link and save me some hours of research, that would be great.

However, I need to have a little "reality check" moment here and say that I don't know when will I be able to purchase it; when I said that my equipment is extremely sparse, the reason is because equipment generally requires a receptacle called "house", and I don't at the present moment have one; things are starting to look up for me, but at the moment I'm borderline homeless (that's the beauty of open software, it gathers people from all walks of life). Music is the joy of my life, and it's great that technology still allows me to get some stuff done, but barely...

(I didn't want to go TMI in a technical forum or look too commiserative, but I guess by saying it I can spare everybody a lot of non viable solutions, etc... Ok, end of the confession).

Regarding your songs, I'm going to assume that the fact that you posted them grants me the right of giving you my (very personal) opinion. I found them well executed, but a bit too "polite" for my taste. Maybe it's a national thing? Whenever I've met people from the Netherlands, I found them to be really nice guys; you're the best ambassadors of your country, I wish I can visit some day. However, in the genres of those songs, politeness is a bad thing, I think more edge, more aggressiveness is needed. The first one is the kind of music that plays at the clubs you go to when clubs close, but what comes to the front most is the nursery rhyme; the other is punk, but in punk there is a fine line between "I don't fucking care this system sucks" and "I'm punk therefore I can be lazy and sloppy". Anyways, the song is also very catchy, it's going to be stuck in my brain for weeks now, "We've been hunting, we've been hunting..." lol
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

ufug wrote:The easiest way to get this done in any case is not on the computer--this really needs AIR if it's going to sound anything like what he is going for. :)
Transmission of sound trough air can be very well modelled by a linear filter, like an EQ.
Nachei wrote:So I tried Frank Carvalho's solution, and I have to say it's pretty convincing; at first, it sounded too monotone, like the beep of a cardiogram in flatline. But when you add EQ, as you move the EQ, you get different sounds that make it very amp-like.
Indeed.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Can Bob Dylan or Neil Young sing? Technically, if your voice is expressive,
and if you're passionate about what you're expressing, you won't need
auto-tune, just the desire to master some audio fundamentals.
Slow train's a comin', long may you run...
Cheers
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

A Fender Mustang 1 V1 amp will be in the $50 range, and a linux app called 'plug'
controls it's wonderful sound and features. Don't be shy about moving
to a 'boom town'. Or even a 'boom country'. Repeatedly. When you're young, follow the jobs,
be that worker who makes the boss cry when you take a better job,
and money will follow you. Then you can bless friends, family,
and those deeply suffering, from your home and studio.
Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Post by Frank Carvalho »

Nachei wrote:So I tried Frank Carvalho's solution, and I have to say it's pretty convincing; at first, it sounded too monotone, like the beep of a cardiogram in flatline. But when you add EQ, as you move the EQ, you get different sounds that make it very amp-like. I think recording that and mixing it with my plan B will give a very convincing effect. In the end what you do is the same process physics does, but I never had thought of it because feeding a track to itself is one of those no-nos you have, only good if you want to fry your brain (of course, keeping the volume low when you do this is golden advice... :P )
Cool! Great to hear it actually works. Could you provide a couple of samples with the sound before and after "artificial feedback"?

/Frank
Vox, Selmer, Yamaha and Leslie amplifiers. Rickenbacker, Epiphone, Ibanez, Washburn, Segovia, Yamaha and Fender guitars. Hammond, Moog, Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Crumar, Ensoniq and Mellotron keyboards. Xubuntu+KXStudio recording setup.