vinyl plugin

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: vinyl plugin

Post by funkmuscle »

42low wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:that is the one I mentioned. The LADSPA one. very noise. Sounds like my old amp during rehearsal. That loud hiss like if it's alive.. :D
Can't get what you mean. Do you mean your happy with this one? Or actually not? :oops:
You can set the noises and hisses in this one i guess?

Past it by accident, and thought to mention it. If not good, sorry.
no it's a very loud hiss and not just the vinyl crackling and pops.. it's a very noisy plugin.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

42low wrote:Sorry. Like i said i didn't try it. Didn't know either that this one was meant as it wasn't called by name.
It came past while i remembered this topic and thought i post it. So again, sorry.
Dude never say you're sorry for helping out. I do appreciate you actually trying to help so never apologize for that. Maybe a version I have is bad so when you have time if you don't mind try it and see if you're getting the noise that I'm getting..
Thanks again. :D
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

42low wrote:And authentic cracks from an actual record (and at actual volume). Especially sampled for you. :mrgreen:
Use it at wish. I'll delete the ogg in a week or so.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2R-i ... kpHcWlYRTA
this has a hum but can be fixed with gate or through Audacity's noise cancelling. it was better too. thanx bud!
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

42low wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:
42low wrote:And authentic cracks from an actual record (and at actual volume). Especially sampled for you. :mrgreen:
Use it at wish. I'll delete the ogg in a week or so.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2R-i ... kpHcWlYRTA
this has a hum but can be fixed with gate or through Audacity's noise cancelling. it was better too. thanx bud!
This is an authentic 1 on 1 clean recording from an album which that times was recorded analogue. Perhaps the hum is from the "pick up" player's electronics?
I think you can't get it much more realistic. :mrgreen: But add at wish. Hope it can help you.
And if it's not good enough than simply don't use it (no problem then for me).
Definitely I can work with it. Thanks again
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

There is a vinyl plug in Calf since today ( hi Markus :) ), haven't checked it for now, just to let you know.
https://github.com/calf-studio-gear/calf
On the road again.
singforme
Established Member

Post by singforme »

Great, will have to check this one out. I think the Steve Harris one was ok, but I've always thought it could be a bit more authentic compared to i.e. GarageBand's Vinyl effect. Calf studio tools are amazing!
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

tramp wrote:There is a vinyl plug in Calf since today ( hi Markus :) ), haven't checked it for now, just to let you know.
https://github.com/calf-studio-gear/calf
nice, I just installed Calf again last night as it was crashing Ardour too much but lately I've been seeing more people using it so I decided to install the git. I will do a fresh pull now.
thanx bro!
Markus
Established Member

Post by Markus »

Ah, you already stumbled over it. Features are:
  • 6 sound generators (Motor, Static, Noise, Rumble, Crackle, Crinkle) with dedicated levels and pitch
  • Droning controlled by speed (rpm)
  • Subtle (turntable) to heavy (gramophone) Filtering with "colour"
Hope it helps.
Calf - Vinyl.jpg
Calf - Vinyl.jpg (155.41 KiB) Viewed 1959 times
Markus
Established Member

Post by Markus »

funkmuscle wrote:as it was crashing Ardour too much
Older versions were suffering from (now) well known FFTW problems, newer versions from a conflicting package "calf-ladspa" which is a dependency of LMMS. AFAIK this one makes Ardour crash as soon as someone wants to add any Calf plugin.

I filed a bug report which didn't get any attention by now. Fortunately FalkTX added a dummy package with the same name overriding the conflicting package to KXStudio repositories. So installing calf-plugins-git from there should fix the problem. But I guess the current version of calf-plugins-git doesn't include Vinyl by now.
Markus
Established Member

Post by Markus »

Markus
Established Member

Post by Markus »

What's the command to update the Calf plugins?
It depends on what you have installed. The regular Debian package is called calf-plugins which is quite outdated (0.0.19?). If you're using KXStudio repositories you should have calf-plugins-git installed which is very up-to-date thanks to FalkTX. However, none of these packages are coming with Vinyl included by now, it is only available via build from git repository atm. There's a walk through on our website for this kind of installation.

Good news is: we'll do a regular release these days.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Markus wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:as it was crashing Ardour too much
Older versions were suffering from (now) well known FFTW problems, newer versions from a conflicting package "calf-ladspa" which is a dependency of LMMS. AFAIK this one makes Ardour crash as soon as someone wants to add any Calf plugin.

I filed a bug report which didn't get any attention by now. Fortunately FalkTX added a dummy package with the same name overriding the conflicting package to KXStudio repositories. So installing calf-plugins-git from there should fix the problem. But I guess the current version of calf-plugins-git doesn't include Vinyl by now.
I'm using Arch and the calf git plugins and it still crashing Ardour. I just tried it.
Not sure where to get the KX version as that's made for Ubuntu and Deb mostly.
No biggy anyhow. I just needed the plugin for one song and I've changed my mind on the vinyl effect.
Markus
Established Member

Post by Markus »

funkmuscle wrote: I'm using Arch and the calf git plugins and it still crashing Ardour. I just tried it.
No biggy anyhow. I just needed the plugin for one song and I've changed my mind on the vinyl effect.
Strange. I took a look at the calf package in the Arch repos which seem to be a bit messy, e.g. they still list FFTW, DSSI and LADSPA as dependency for 0.0.60. KXStudio is made for Debian-based distros (Ubuntu, Mint and the like) using APT package management so it has nothing to do with Arch. You could try building Calf from git if you like.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Markus wrote:
funkmuscle wrote: I'm using Arch and the calf git plugins and it still crashing Ardour. I just tried it.
Strange. I took a look at the calf package in the Arch repos which seem to be a bit messy, e.g. they still list FFTW, DSSI and LADSPA as dependency for 0.0.60. KXStudio is made for Debian-based distros (Ubuntu, Mint and the like) using APT package management so it has nothing to do with Arch. You could try building Calf from git if you like.
you're looking at the official Arch package which is old I think.
I use the git from AUR:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/calf-git

Code: Select all

Dependencies (6)
desktop-file-utils
fluidsynth (fluidsynth-git)
gtk-update-icon-cache (gtk3-optional-csd)
lash (ladish, ladish-git)
lv2 (lv2-git)
git (git-git) (make)
I did a fresh build and still crashes.
most audio programs for Arch are found in AUR as the maintainer of the official packages is too busy but thanx to crocoduck and gimmeapill and a few others, they're keeping folks like me alive with AUR packages.
Markus
Established Member

Post by Markus »

Thanks for the information as I'm absolutely unfamiliar with Arch. Do you have calf-ladspa from AUR installed?

Edit: If any moderator is fretted because of hijacking this thread please give a holler and we'll switch to another channel.