vinyl plugin

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

User avatar
funkmuscle
Established Member
Posts: 2350
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:30 pm

Re: vinyl plugin

Postby funkmuscle » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:14 pm

42low wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:that is the one I mentioned. The LADSPA one. very noise. Sounds like my old amp during rehearsal. That loud hiss like if it's alive.. :D

Can't get what you mean. Do you mean your happy with this one? Or actually not? :oops:
You can set the noises and hisses in this one i guess?

Past it by accident, and thought to mention it. If not good, sorry.


no it's a very loud hiss and not just the vinyl crackling and pops.. it's a very noisy plugin.

User avatar
funkmuscle
Established Member
Posts: 2350
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:30 pm

Re: vinyl plugin

Postby funkmuscle » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:42 pm

42low wrote:Sorry. Like i said i didn't try it. Didn't know either that this one was meant as it wasn't called by name.
It came past while i remembered this topic and thought i post it. So again, sorry.

Dude never say you're sorry for helping out. I do appreciate you actually trying to help so never apologize for that. Maybe a version I have is bad so when you have time if you don't mind try it and see if you're getting the noise that I'm getting..
Thanks again. :D

User avatar
funkmuscle
Established Member
Posts: 2350
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:30 pm

Re: vinyl plugin

Postby funkmuscle » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:43 pm

42low wrote:And authentic cracks from an actual record (and at actual volume). Especially sampled for you. :mrgreen:
Use it at wish. I'll delete the ogg in a week or so.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2R-i ... kpHcWlYRTA

this has a hum but can be fixed with gate or through Audacity's noise cancelling. it was better too. thanx bud!

User avatar
funkmuscle
Established Member
Posts: 2350
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:30 pm

Re: vinyl plugin

Postby funkmuscle » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:42 pm

42low wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:
42low wrote:And authentic cracks from an actual record (and at actual volume). Especially sampled for you. :mrgreen:
Use it at wish. I'll delete the ogg in a week or so.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2R-i ... kpHcWlYRTA

this has a hum but can be fixed with gate or through Audacity's noise cancelling. it was better too. thanx bud!


This is an authentic 1 on 1 clean recording from an album which that times was recorded analogue. Perhaps the hum is from the "pick up" player's electronics?
I think you can't get it much more realistic. :mrgreen: But add at wish. Hope it can help you.
And if it's not good enough than simply don't use it (no problem then for me).

Definitely I can work with it. Thanks again

tramp
Established Member
Posts: 1509
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:13 am

Re: vinyl plugin

Postby tramp » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:20 am

There is a vinyl plug in Calf since today ( hi Markus :) ), haven't checked it for now, just to let you know.
https://github.com/calf-studio-gear/calf
On the road again.

singforme
Established Member
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:58 pm
Contact:

Re: vinyl plugin

Postby singforme » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:03 pm

Great, will have to check this one out. I think the Steve Harris one was ok, but I've always thought it could be a bit more authentic compared to i.e. GarageBand's Vinyl effect. Calf studio tools are amazing!

User avatar
funkmuscle
Established Member
Posts: 2350
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:30 pm

Re: vinyl plugin

Postby funkmuscle » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:23 pm

tramp wrote:There is a vinyl plug in Calf since today ( hi Markus :) ), haven't checked it for now, just to let you know.
https://github.com/calf-studio-gear/calf

nice, I just installed Calf again last night as it was crashing Ardour too much but lately I've been seeing more people using it so I decided to install the git. I will do a fresh pull now.
thanx bro!

User avatar
Markus
Established Member
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:29 am

Re: vinyl plugin

Postby Markus » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:58 pm

Ah, you already stumbled over it. Features are:

  • 6 sound generators (Motor, Static, Noise, Rumble, Crackle, Crinkle) with dedicated levels and pitch
  • Droning controlled by speed (rpm)
  • Subtle (turntable) to heavy (gramophone) Filtering with "colour"

Hope it helps.

Calf - Vinyl.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Markus
Established Member
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:29 am

Re: vinyl plugin

Postby Markus » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:03 pm

funkmuscle wrote:as it was crashing Ardour too much


Older versions were suffering from (now) well known FFTW problems, newer versions from a conflicting package "calf-ladspa" which is a dependency of LMMS. AFAIK this one makes Ardour crash as soon as someone wants to add any Calf plugin.

I filed a bug report which didn't get any attention by now. Fortunately FalkTX added a dummy package with the same name overriding the conflicting package to KXStudio repositories. So installing calf-plugins-git from there should fix the problem. But I guess the current version of calf-plugins-git doesn't include Vinyl by now.

User avatar
Markus
Established Member
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:29 am

Re: vinyl plugin

Postby Markus » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:17 pm


User avatar
Markus
Established Member
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:29 am

Re: vinyl plugin

Postby Markus » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:19 am

What's the command to update the Calf plugins?


It depends on what you have installed. The regular Debian package is called calf-plugins which is quite outdated (0.0.19?). If you're using KXStudio repositories you should have calf-plugins-git installed which is very up-to-date thanks to FalkTX. However, none of these packages are coming with Vinyl included by now, it is only available via build from git repository atm. There's a walk through on our website for this kind of installation.

Good news is: we'll do a regular release these days.

User avatar
funkmuscle
Established Member
Posts: 2350
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:30 pm

Re: vinyl plugin

Postby funkmuscle » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:06 pm

Markus wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:as it was crashing Ardour too much


Older versions were suffering from (now) well known FFTW problems, newer versions from a conflicting package "calf-ladspa" which is a dependency of LMMS. AFAIK this one makes Ardour crash as soon as someone wants to add any Calf plugin.

I filed a bug report which didn't get any attention by now. Fortunately FalkTX added a dummy package with the same name overriding the conflicting package to KXStudio repositories. So installing calf-plugins-git from there should fix the problem. But I guess the current version of calf-plugins-git doesn't include Vinyl by now.

I'm using Arch and the calf git plugins and it still crashing Ardour. I just tried it.
Not sure where to get the KX version as that's made for Ubuntu and Deb mostly.
No biggy anyhow. I just needed the plugin for one song and I've changed my mind on the vinyl effect.

User avatar
Markus
Established Member
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:29 am

Re: vinyl plugin

Postby Markus » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:38 pm

funkmuscle wrote:I'm using Arch and the calf git plugins and it still crashing Ardour. I just tried it.
Not sure where to get the KX version as that's made for Ubuntu and Deb mostly.
No biggy anyhow. I just needed the plugin for one song and I've changed my mind on the vinyl effect.


Strange. I took a look at the calf package in the Arch repos which seem to be a bit messy, e.g. they still list FFTW, DSSI and LADSPA as dependency for 0.0.60. KXStudio is made for Debian-based distros (Ubuntu, Mint and the like) using APT package management so it has nothing to do with Arch. You could try building Calf from git if you like.

User avatar
funkmuscle
Established Member
Posts: 2350
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:30 pm

Re: vinyl plugin

Postby funkmuscle » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:44 am

Markus wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:I'm using Arch and the calf git plugins and it still crashing Ardour. I just tried it.
Not sure where to get the KX version as that's made for Ubuntu and Deb mostly.
No biggy anyhow. I just needed the plugin for one song and I've changed my mind on the vinyl effect.


Strange. I took a look at the calf package in the Arch repos which seem to be a bit messy, e.g. they still list FFTW, DSSI and LADSPA as dependency for 0.0.60. KXStudio is made for Debian-based distros (Ubuntu, Mint and the like) using APT package management so it has nothing to do with Arch. You could try building Calf from git if you like.

you're looking at the official Arch package which is old I think.
I use the git from AUR:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/calf-git

Code: Select all

Dependencies (6)
desktop-file-utils
fluidsynth (fluidsynth-git)
gtk-update-icon-cache (gtk3-optional-csd)
lash (ladish, ladish-git)
lv2 (lv2-git)
git (git-git) (make)

I did a fresh build and still crashes.
most audio programs for Arch are found in AUR as the maintainer of the official packages is too busy but thanx to crocoduck and gimmeapill and a few others, they're keeping folks like me alive with AUR packages.

User avatar
Markus
Established Member
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:29 am

Re: vinyl plugin

Postby Markus » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:49 am

Thanks for the information as I'm absolutely unfamiliar with Arch. Do you have calf-ladspa from AUR installed?

Edit: If any moderator is fretted because of hijacking this thread please give a holler and we'll switch to another channel.


Return to “Plugins, Effects and Instruments”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests