Amp/cabinet simulators ? (Guitarix ?)

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: Amp/cabinet simulators ? (Guitarix ?)

Post by funkmuscle »

jonetsu wrote:
funkmuscle wrote: hmm, I think I figured why Gx plugins don't work in Mixbus for me.. I have Mixbus 32c not Mixbus 4.
possibly differences there?? the binaries don't work either.
I have Mixbus 32C ... version 4. 4.2.15 actually, the latest.
And you get the GX plugins to show up with their own GUI?
I even did a fresh installation of my system and still have that problem. I have to use the generic UI from Misbus.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

funkmuscle wrote:
jonetsu wrote:
funkmuscle wrote: hmm, I think I figured why Gx plugins don't work in Mixbus for me.. I have Mixbus 32c not Mixbus 4.
possibly differences there?? the binaries don't work either.
I even did a fresh installation of my system and still have that problem. I have to use the generic UI from Misbus.
http://tracker.ardour.org/view.php?id=7209

I spoke to Tramp about this a while ago, I won't post the full conversation but basically ardour, and it seems mixbus, "use a far too old glib/gtk library", or I suppose Arch uses a too new version of glib/gtk. You can solve it by building ardour yourself but this will obviously not work for mixbus. Maybe Tramp can give some more detailed input.
This is actually why I gave up on arch and arch based distros, just too much hassle.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

sysrqer wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:
jonetsu wrote:

I spoke to Tramp about this a while ago, I won't post the full conversation but basically ardour, and it seems mixbus, "use a far too old glib/gtk library", or I suppose Arch uses a too new version of glib/gtk. You can solve it by building ardour yourself but this will obviously not work for mixbus. Maybe Tramp can give some more detailed input.
This is actually why I gave up on arch and arch based distros, just too much hassle.
they work fine in Ardour, just Mixbus.. :? :(
yeah, Hermann and I been trying to figure it out months ago and I just noticed he posted Mixbus4 so I thought that was the issue.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

As written, Mixbus 32C version 4.2.15:
guitarixInMixbus32C4.2.15-gcc5.jpg
guitarixInMixbus32C4.2.15-gcc5.jpg (59.55 KiB) Viewed 1513 times
In Linux Mint 18 (latest). Mixbus 32 C binary is of the 'gcc5' flavor. Installed a couple of days ago from the link Hrmann gave in this thread. Let me know if you want me to check things on this system, I'll be glad to provide information.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

I think arch is gcc7 or something like that.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Mixbus only exists for regular and gcc5 systems. gcc7 might be following along gcc5, I don't know. But there was a drastic change in binaries between previous regular systems and the systems using the new libc and gcc5.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Well it actually works perfectly for me except for those plugins. The only two plugins from Gx that works are the two plug-ins for the bass guitar amps.
when I say work of course I mean UIs.. I still use the with generic UI
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

You compile ardour though don't you?
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

sysrqer wrote:You compile ardour though don't you?
yep and compiled gxplugins from git and also have the binaries.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

You would need to compile mixbus as well. If you try the official binary version of ardour you'll find the same thing as mixbus.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

sysrqer wrote:You would need to compile mixbus as well. If you try the official binary version of ardour you'll find the same thing as mixbus.
I'm a bit confused. The Gx binaries are gcc5 like Misbus.
I have the eq10q binaries which are gcc5 and they work fine in Mixbus.
My system has gcc5, 6 and 7 installed. :?
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I don't think it's nothing to do with GCC, as far as I understand it is a dependency/library issue, ardour and mixbus are compiled against an older version than Arch has. If you compile Ardour it fixes the problem because you are building against your version of the library but the ardour/mixbus binaries cannot use the version you have. I don't know if there is any solution, the Ardour devs are not interested in fixing it but perhaps Mixbus will be more forgiving.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

sysrqer wrote:I don't think it's nothing to do with GCC, as far as I understand it is a dependency/library issue, ardour and mixbus are compiled against an older version than Arch has. If you compile Ardour it fixes the problem because you are building against your version of the library but the ardour/mixbus binaries cannot use the version you have. I don't know if there is any solution, the Ardour devs are not interested in fixing it but perhaps Mixbus will be more forgiving.
No biggie! The plugins are still usable with the generic UI.
It's just weird that the two bass amplifier plugins UI works but none of the other ones. Anyhow I think we may be hijacking this thread by going slightly off topic??
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

sysrqer wrote: the Ardour devs are not interested in fixing it but perhaps Mixbus will be more forgiving.
And, the stance they give is absolutely stupid, and, they know it. At least, there is not a single plugin out there witch is really self-contained. Any plugin use some system library's. And be it just some math or std libs. So, what is it about?
Ardour, as with it Mixbus using GTKmm, as widget library to make some money. Therefore they distribute binary's in the manner like windows providers does. They expect from plugin developers to "not use what we use because we use it" .
The stance, that LV2 plugs should be self contained, and shouldn't use GTKmm lib's comes a way after LV2 has provide support to do exactly this. It's a commercial decision. Now, today, commercial DAW developers expect from plugin developers that they has to develop there own widget library. This is, in my view totally stupid. In my view, the other way round would make sense, if needed.
Ardour, for example use for the binary's they provide, old, outdated library's which are normally part of your system, they expect a outdated gtk engine, and wont except, if you have a up-to-date-engine installed (clearlooks)., just, they provide you with binary's which are "sand-boxed" running in there own environment, outside of your usually system. Without that you'll notice that. On top of it, a couple of Distributions, following this model, and provide this binary's as "Distribution compatible", which, they are for sure been not.
I would name here Fedora, and the from you all so beloved KxStudio.
I know, this isn't what you all wont to hear here, but, we are on the way to lose the control over our so beloved open source model of audio engineering.
I'm, as a plugin and host developer, do my best to provide compatible "binary's" for the majority of users, but, to be honest, that isn't possible for arch linux. On the one hand, arch linux didn't follow the usual library names conventions, on the other hand, they updated on a daily base.
Don't get me wrong, I'm myself using debian/sid aka unstable, which update also on a daily base, but, debian follow the usual naming conventions for system librarys (so.0), so I could use binary's build against older versions of system library's even on a updated debiab/sid system.

Now, I hear the voices already, more support from commercial DAW developers would help Linux, . . . . :lol: you could expect the opposite :evil: .
On the road again.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Now, I hear the voices already, more support from commercial DAW developers would help Linux, . . . . :lol: you could expect the opposite :evil: .
That's something I've been told for years and all I see is the other 2 platform users want what Linux has and they seem to get it. Maybe focusing on Linux only is the way for programs developed n Linux should go.
As you guys do this for free, spreading yourselves to all 3 platforms can be taxing. Like the old saying goes, 'build it and they will come!'
Prefect it on Linux first, Mac and Windows devs, commercial devs and users will come along. Seems like we have in-house fighting with what libs, etc., to use.

I'm glad you're being a dev is saying that Hermann because I have been shot for voicing that years ago and still I have yet to see that change.

I remember when you started Guitarix and I asked my friend Ken from AcmeBarGig to open source some of his free amp sims and he wouldn't. He offered to help but life got in the way.

I don't blame folks for wanting to make money. You guys put a ton of time into your work but I really think for Linux to continue or become a force in the pro audio world, everyone needs to be on the same page.

I was reading something on the Mixbus forum along the same lines as this when Robin said that the plugin devs need to get on track with the libs.

Really hope some agreement or compromise can be made as to me, Linux is the best platform for pro audio and even Robin stated that somewhere that a well tuned Linux system is best for pro audio out of the 3 main platforms.