HybridReverb2 and other convolution reverbs

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ColonelMIDI
Established Member

HybridReverb2 and other convolution reverbs

Post by ColonelMIDI »

Hey there,

Back in the old days i used to use HybridReverb2 as a high quality convolution reverb and it worked wonders, but with my new debian 9 + KXStudio setup i couldn't get it working. Carla finds the plugin after i manually point it to the 32 bit VST binary, enabling experimental option and installing posix32 bridge with carla-git but it just hangs there in an infinite loop while discovering. The package i used to extract the binary is a very old debian lenny i386 i found on the net and i can't install it with apt because it tries to remove 44 packages including jackd, so I just extracted the .so and .xml files and manually put them to their place. When I try this command:

Code: Select all

carla-single linux32 vst /ABSOLUTE/PATH/TO/libHybridReverb2vst.so
The output is:

['/usr/lib/carla/carla-bridge-posix32', 'vst2', '/ABSOLUTE/PATH/TO/libHybridReverb2vst.so', '(none)', '0']
libjack.so.0 loaded sucessfully!
Master :    new PRESET NUM value : 15
Bu I see nothing on the screen and no ports of HybridReverb2 in catia either. Plus my system gets unresponsive with gobs of xruns, catia crashes etc.

I guess that binary won't work with any modern system at all. My question being:

Is there any other package that i can install HybridReverb2 easily? Or are there any similar quality convolution reverbs that you can point me to?

Thanks.
ColonelMIDI
Established Member

Re: HybridReverb2 and other convolution reverbs

Post by ColonelMIDI »

Hey thanks Filipe. I sniffed both of them and it seems IR has better performance on high loads. I tried it with hybridreverb2 stock impulses. Too bad I couldn't get my waves bundle to install, the package has some very high quality impulses. Will try on a windows machine later.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

You might want to check the LSP reverb impulse plugins as well.
ColonelMIDI
Established Member

Post by ColonelMIDI »

sysrqer, When i extract the LSP plugins package from sourceforge, all plugin binaries are 10.1kb and carla doesn't recognise them.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

ColonelMIDI wrote:sysrqer, When i extract the LSP plugins package from sourceforge, all plugin binaries are 10.1kb and carla doesn't recognise them.
What archive have you downloaded? It can't be of 10.1 kb size.
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

falkTX wrote:Personally I like klangfalter.
+1

Great little program.
ColonelMIDI
Established Member

Post by ColonelMIDI »

sadko4u wrote:
ColonelMIDI wrote:sysrqer, When i extract the LSP plugins package from sourceforge, all plugin binaries are 10.1kb and carla doesn't recognise them.
I downloaded the vst binaries from this sourceforge page: https://sourceforge.net/projects/lsp-pl ... s/v1.0.26/
Either they just don't work or i miss something here.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

ColonelMIDI wrote:
sadko4u wrote:
I downloaded the vst binaries from this sourceforge page: https://sourceforge.net/projects/lsp-pl ... s/v1.0.26/
Either they just don't work or i miss something here.
There's lsp-plugins-vst-core-1.0.26-x86_64.so core library in the package if you use 64-bit version. You need to install it, too. No one plugin won't work without this library because actually the code of all plugins is placed inside this library.

Here's the part from README.txt:
==== INSTALLATION ====

Binary distributions are ready to launch, just copy them to the appropriate directory. Releases containing odd number in minor version provide only critical fixes for the previous release.

The usual directories for LinuxVST are:
* /usr/lib/vst
* /usr/local/lib/vst
* /usr/lib64/vst
* /usr/local/lib64/vst
ColonelMIDI
Established Member

Post by ColonelMIDI »

sadko, sadly the GUI works very slowly on my machine. Maybe that has something to do with the nouveau driver I'm using. But the plugins seem quite professional.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

ColonelMIDI wrote:sadko, sadly the GUI works very slowly on my machine. Maybe that has something to do with the nouveau driver I'm using. But the plugins seem quite professional.
Could you download the profile package and perform profiling of some plugin then? I think it is possible to find the bottleneck.
Information about how to perform profiling is available here:
http://lsp-plug.in/?page=manuals&section=development
ColonelMIDI
Established Member

Post by ColonelMIDI »

sadko4u, interestingly the profile binary is listed as 0 bytes in terminal but 2.1 mbs in pcmanfm.
Don't know what causes this. Anyway the output of running the command:

gprof ./lsp-plugins-profile gmon.out >lsp-plugins-profile
is:

gprof: ./lsp-plugins-profile: not in executable format
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

ColonelMIDI wrote:sadko4u, interestingly the profile binary is listed as 0 bytes in terminal but 2.1 mbs in pcmanfm.
Don't know what causes this. Anyway the output of running the command:

gprof ./lsp-plugins-profile gmon.out >lsp-plugins-profile
is:

gprof: ./lsp-plugins-profile: not in executable format
The problem is that you've first truncated the file by issuing '>lsp-plugins-profile' and then tried to execute it by issuing 'gprof ./lsp-plugins-profile gmon.out'.

The output profile file should be not the same name as the executable. In the example, the 'profile' word was separated from other stuff with a dot - '.'.

Please re-try with correct settings.
ColonelMIDI
Established Member

Post by ColonelMIDI »

sadko4u, you're right. I did it correctly this time and the UI acts much better standalone than within carla. No jerky movements or stuck knobs. This must be the GTK and carla's turbulent relationship FalkTX was talking about earlier.

Another issue was the jack back-end getting shut down message I got from the plugin. And the plugin gets unresponsive. Meanwhile when i check with cadence jack is running fine and there's no shut down or any xruns going crazy all over the place, the xrun count was the same as before. I quit the plugin with Ctrl+C and got a profile output, but It's so huge I can't post it here.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

ColonelMIDI wrote:sadko4u, you're right. I did it correctly this time and the UI acts much better standalone than within carla. No jerky movements or stuck knobs. This must be the GTK and carla's turbulent relationship FalkTX was talking about earlier.
Maybe it is. Anyway, I'm on the way to eliminate GTK from LSP Plugins. So there's some time left until we get the UI that works under all hosts.
ColonelMIDI wrote: Another issue was the jack back-end getting shut down message I got from the plugin. And the plugin gets unresponsive. Meanwhile when i check with cadence jack is running fine and there's no shut down or any xruns going crazy all over the place, the xrun count was the same as before.
That's interesting. What version of JACK are you using?
ColonelMIDI wrote:I quit the plugin with Ctrl+C and got a profile output, but It's so huge I can't post it here.
Have you processed the output file with gprof? You should get text profile file that you can copy-paste on pastebin and post link here.
ColonelMIDI
Established Member

Post by ColonelMIDI »

sadko4u, the jackd version I'm using is: 1.9.11~20161209-1~kxstudio5v5 from KXStudio repos. Here is the text profile:

https://paste.ubuntu.com/25066536/