Reaktor 6, wine?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

fizzlepop
Established Member

Reaktor 6, wine?

Post by fizzlepop »

Anyone tried running Reaktor 6 in Wine? The Wine site shows a platinum status for Reaktor 5, but I didn't see anything for Reaktor 6. Are there problems between Reaktor 6 and Wine?
glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: Reaktor 6, wine?

Post by glowrak guy »

It will work, but if the installer fails, you will have to copy the relevant
folders from an installation on a windows partition. There are about 5-7 folders.
NI have a new registration app, if that fails, you can call them on the phone,
and work something out in the 'offline registration' category.
There are some wondrous new apps for V6, not that V5 is lacking.

There are always several versions of wine, I think I was using 1.8RT

I think 2.1 is the stable version at wineHQ

Cheers
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

Reaktor 6 probably needs a few dll overrides depending on the version https://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-gui ... -wine-main

For the latest Reactor version, msvcp140.dll with Wine 2.8 and probably more dll overrides with earlier versions of Wine (concrt140.dll msvcp140.dll).

Reactor 6.0.1 probably needs msvcp120.dll.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Thanks for filling out my feeble rushed reply, with important details!

In case anyone
is interested in wine over-rides,
1. aquire the desired windows .dll file
2. find wine's limited version, in .wine/drive_c/windows/system32
and rename the extension as desired, (the wine versions are ususally 2.4k in size, no big need to delete.)
3. copy the real one alongside it.

4. Run the command /opt/wine-staging/bin/winecfg
and in the winecfg Libraries tab, click the triangle widget by
"New override for library:" which then lets you search the .dll file list to
choose your new .dll, and when chosen, the 'Add' button
becomes active, press it, and you'll see the .dll in the
overrides list box.
Cheers
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

Something I have to try....
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

Even it it's technically possible to get it to work, is there really much point? The performance is always going to be suboptimal compared to Native Windows. There will be endless issues with things breaking which used to work every time some configuration setting changes or software updates appear and so forth.

Imo it's just one of those cases where if the intention is to make music, it makes better sense to just run Reaktor and Doze VST's on a dedicated Windoze computer.

If the intention were to hack and have fun on the other hand...... :mrgreen:
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

asbak wrote:Even it it's technically possible to get it to work, is there really much point? The performance is always going to be suboptimal compared to Native Windows. There will be endless issues with things breaking which used to work every time some configuration setting changes or software updates appear and so forth.

Imo it's just one of those cases where if the intention is to make music, it makes better sense to just run Reaktor and Doze VST's on a dedicated Windoze computer.

I've been testing Kontakt and Reaktor and a few other NI plugs and they run very well with Wine and LinVst, which may be a bit surprising if someone hasn't tried it.

Wine is at a stage where it can handle a lot of Windows vst's, maybe some might need a few dll overrides but a lot don't.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

asbak wrote:Even it it's technically possible to get it to work, is there really much point? The performance is always going to be suboptimal compared to Native Windows. There will be endless issues with things breaking which used to work every time some configuration setting changes or software updates appear and so forth.

To be honest, I have far more windows vsts that work fine in reaper/wine,
than I do native linux instruments and plugins that work with fewer troubles.
To me, windows versions are terribly restricting environments for creating music,
compared to most mainstream linux distros.

And your suppositions about about technical difficulties and suboptimal performance
haven't shown themselves accurate in my years of experience. You present two
choices, either use windows to make music, or 'hack and have fun' using linux,
while in reality, there is vast creative potential to make music in linux, that embraces
neither of those two alternatives, and also does not accept the obvious third possibility:
using only linux native software to make music.

Using linux is about freedom, not about self-imposed restrictions,
or spreading suppositions that are more out-dated with each
passing day, and each new software update or release. I'm having
great fun, using the best tools I can find/afford, and hope others
will find similar happiness, and not settle for less.

...hey, it's SUMMMMEEEEERRRRRRRR!!!!!! ....like finally, already!
Cheers
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

Trying to play live sampler instruments at low latency with all the endless xruns, crashing and maintenance issues in tow isn't "self imposed restrictions". It's simply the reality of the limitations imposed by that environment.
And your suppositions about about technical difficulties and suboptimal performance
haven't shown themselves accurate in my years of experience
So do these years of experience include an hour or so's worth of live low latency (64ms or so) NI Suite instruments playing (Komplete, Reaktor etc) including patch changing and loading without experiencing any crashes and xruns in Linux and you've got the uninterrupted youtube video to back that all up? I'm skeptical that this is achievable, and that's the reality a live musician faces.

In my "years of experience", mileage varies with Wine VST and it just isn't worth the time and effort to screw around with a semi-lost cause beyond fun & giggles. Linux audio works great, but Windoze VST's incl. Komplete & Reaktor sure run better on Windoze than they do under Wine in Linux.

Besides, why limit one's self by stubbornly knocking squares in round holes. There's no reason why one cannot use both Linux and Doze, even a Mac, to accomplish the task at hand.

I much prefer to use Linux whenever possible but ultimately, selecting the right tool for the job works best.
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

ubuntuuser wrote: I've been testing Kontakt and Reaktor and a few other NI plugs and they run very well with Wine and LinVst, which may be a bit surprising if someone hasn't tried it.

Wine is at a stage where it can handle a lot of Windows vst's, maybe some might need a few dll overrides but a lot don't.
At what latency settings?
What happens during patch and instrument changes?
How many live shows do you play with this rig?
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

asbak wrote:Trying to play live sampler instruments at low latency with all the endless xruns, crashing and maintenance issues in tow isn't "self imposed restrictions". It's simply the reality of the limitations imposed by that environment.
haven't shown themselves accurate in my years of experience
So do these years of experience include an hour or so's worth of live low latency (64ms or so) NI Suite instruments playing (Komplete, Reaktor etc) including patch changing and loading without experiencing any crashes and xruns in Linux and you've got the uninterrupted youtube video to back that all up? I'm skeptical that this is achievable, and that's the reality a live musician faces.

In my "years of experience", mileage varies with Wine VST and it just isn't worth the time and effort to screw around with a semi-lost cause beyond fun & giggles. Linux audio works great, but Windoze VST's incl. Komplete & Reaktor sure run better on Windoze than they do under Wine in Linux.

Besides, why limit one's self by stubbornly knocking squares in round holes. There's no reason why one cannot use both Linux and Doze, even a Mac, to accomplish the task at hand.

I much prefer to use Linux whenever possible but ultimately, selecting the right tool for the job works best.
I'm guessing you dont' have a PCI soundcard? I do, by luck, not by plan, and I've never had latency problems,
massive numbers of xruns, random crashes, and have had the best 0f linux audio experiences, if I can believe
all the misery I read on various linux forums.

Axiom of the universe # 17: Laptops were designed for office dweebs, not musicians.

Axiom of the universe # 94: youtube video proves jack_shite

Axiom of the universe 221: If you can afford a mac, a pc, and a linux computer,
stick to the first two, you'll live longer, and make the people around you happier.
(all that senseless pounding makes for angry neighbors.)

Cheers
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

A properly configured nvidia graphics card will also be a key to
stable productions.

Cheers
chaocrator
Established Member

Post by chaocrator »

glowrak guy wrote:Axiom of the universe # 17: Laptops were designed for office dweebs, not musicians.
living and performing on laptops with USB audio interfaces for a decade, and absolutely happy with them.
(on the other side, i use only native linux synths & plugins. the only exceptions are NI FM7/FM8, which are very useful as the source of patches to recreate on my hardware FM synth.)
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

asbak wrote:
ubuntuuser wrote: I've been testing Kontakt and Reaktor and a few other NI plugs and they run very well with Wine and LinVst, which may be a bit surprising if someone hasn't tried it.

At what latency settings?
What happens during patch and instrument changes?
How many live shows do you play with this rig?

I tested and compared the Windows Podolski (using LinVst and Wine 2.0) and the native Mac Podolski on a Quad core Mac and the latency was about the same, pretty low as I remember it, something like 64 samples being pretty easy to get.

I was surprised at how well the Windows Podolski on a Mac (with LinVst and Wine 2.0) did against the native Mac Podolski on a Mac, and I couldn't tell any difference between their performance.

I expected the Windows Podolski version to have more latency problems in a noticeable way under Wine but it didn't.

On Linux, it's about the same as the Mac tests if a real time kernel is used.

The difference a real time kernel makes for lower latencies on Linux is noticeable.

Interrupt prioriies and what daemon services are running can affect audio latency on Linux.

It also depends on the sound hardware.
chaocrator
Established Member

Post by chaocrator »

nice to hear, but Podolski by itself is quite simple due to its single-oscillator architecture.