LSP plugins and Bitwig 2.0

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sadko4u
Established Member

Re: LSP plugins and Bitwig 2.0

Post by sadko4u »

jonetsu wrote:Yes and no. Commercial plugins tend to perform in a similar way on all DAWs. When a commercial plugin does not work in a DAW, it's immediately the DAW that is concerned. The way commercial plugins are made might be a good hint on assuring interoperability. After all, they are built to run as good as possible. To have as smooth of a commercial venture as possible, to minimize support issues and increase good reputation.
The main problem of the LSP UI is that it's currently implemented using GTK2. This already has problems with JUCE-based hosts. Also as I see it has problems with Bitwig. Sadly but I have not so much time to port all widgets to pure X11 implementation. But first tests showed that pure X11 implementation works well on JUCE and probably will work well on Bitwig.

Anyway, the self-containtment of the DAW does not exclude that fact that DAWs can violate X11 protocol (like it's done in JUCE) or VST protocol (like it's done in Reaper with the UI).
Currently I can not say what's happening between Bitwig and LSP UI because Bitwig doesn't forward stderr to the console (as other hosts do), so I need some time to think about how to capture plugin's output. The same I can say about X11 events that should be immediately passed to the UI and processed by the GTK core.
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Thanks. Большое спасибо.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

jonetsu wrote:Thanks. Большое спасибо.
Have you got plugins working under Mixbus?
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

sadko4u wrote:Have you got plugins working under Mixbus?
I've tried one EQ and the sound is quite good but no, I haven't used in a project yet. The background in getting LSP is about trying out an upward compressor. I am learning about this and it looks very interesting. LSP is the only one that provides a featured upward compressor in the Linux world. Harrison has a simple Dynomite that can act as an upward compressor, and I will try it, but does not have many features, only one knob. When pushed to the right it acts as an upward compressor. Then again, the compressor-based LSP plugins do not show up now in Mixbus32C.
dynomite.png
dynomite.png (80.17 KiB) Viewed 1112 times
Drumfix
Established Member

Post by Drumfix »

sadko4u wrote: Currently I can not say what's happening between Bitwig and LSP UI because Bitwig doesn't forward stderr to the console (as other hosts do), so I need some time to think about how to capture plugin's output.
syslog is your friend, or just create a file and write into it.
TraumFlug
Established Member

Post by TraumFlug »

Hello!

First: thanks for making these great plugins available. They definately fill a gap in the free linux plugin world. I'm particularly excited about the dynamics plugins.

Just wanted to chime in about the unresponsive/freezy gui problems. I'm experiencing the same on xubuntu 16.04 running renoise 3.1 - latest lxvst 64 lsp plugins. There is a free demo of renoise available at their website.

I mostly only tested with the stereo limiter. It seems to be the same deal for all of your plugins though. But I haven't tested all of them.

Symptoms are the same as described here with bitwig. When hovering the mouse over the gui gets unresponsive, the graphs also freeze. It seems to update in irregular intervals of some seconds, chaging parameters via the knobs is also difficult. When opening the gui it might become white for some seconds until the inteface is shown. It also seems to depend on how audio data runs into the plugin.

It seems to behave differently with windowed/maximised/fullscreen mode. First I thought windowed and fullscreen mode were immune to the problem, but after some seconds of sound put through it just happened in fullscreen mode as well. In ardour, after a short test, they seem to run very smooth, much smoother than in any period where they seem in working state in renoise. But I have not yet compared with ardour in depth.

I'd be happy to help to further pinpoint the problem so it could be fixed! Looking forward to have your processors in my arsenal in working state & make my contribution in bribing you to release the sources...

Greetings from germany
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Drumfix wrote:syslog is your friend, or just create a file and write into it.
I concur. This is my preferred way of debugging since a long time. Sometimes I also leave syslog msgs as positive feedback that an app went through steps using such and such params. For such use I define internal levels of logging that maps to the well-known syslog levels and get an arguments switch from the command line or even use a USR1 signal to switch from one level to the other round-robin fashion so there's no need to stop the app for switiching log levels. Very rarely do I need to create a specific log file - only when the output exceeds the popular syslog format for some reason (rare).
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

According to information I've discovered, Bitwig passes effEditIdle event ot the plugin. Anyway, it seems that GTK2 is not working again because there is a call to event processing in effEditIdle cycle:

Code: Select all

void VSTWrapper::iterate_ui()
    {
        // Iterate GTK cycle(s)
        if (gtk_events_pending())
            gtk_main_iteration_do(FALSE);
        // ...
    }
I don't know currently why it causes GTK not to work. Sorry, folks.
Anyfay, I think I should concentrate my effort on completing porting to X11 and making farewell to GTK.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

jonetsu wrote:Hello,

I got the latest LSP plugins for this new OS (Linux Mint 17) installation, the lsp-plugins-lxvst-1.0.23-x86_64.

I copied the .so files to the regular vst folder where all other plugins are but the following error is reported by Bitwig, one for each .so file:

Code: Select all

com.bitwig.flt.library.metadata.reader.exception

CouldNotReadMetadataException: could not read metadata> Could not read
VST plug-in metadata.

64 bit plugin host reported errors: No metadata found in process output

32 bit plugin host reported errors: pluginhost returned non zero
exit code 255
Any idea what the problem could be ?

UPDATE

The directory where all other plugins are is ~/vst/

When I moved all LSP plugins to /usr/lib/vst/ then they were recognized by Bitwig, eg. they retuened metadata. Might be that there is a hardcoded path in the plugins, maybe to the core library.

UPDATE2

This is very likely the case. I left lsp-plugins-vst-core.so alone by itself in /usr/lib/vst and moved all other plugins in ~/vst/LSP/

All LSP plugins returned metadata to Bitwig and can be loaded. .. Well, no. All plugins EXCEPT for the compressor-based plugins like expander, dynamic processor, compressor, etc...

Ironically, I looked again at the LSP plugins specifically for the dynamic processing and these are the ones that do not load ! :(
You could try https://github.com/osxmidi/LinVst/tree/linux

It's a workaround for some Linux vst plugins that may have problems in Linux Bitwig, Linux Reaper and Linux Tracktion.