New "Midi Choir" effect, i.e. Prismizer, works on linux?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

shanefiddle
Established Member

New "Midi Choir" effect, i.e. Prismizer, works on linux?

Post by shanefiddle »

Hello folks, I'm a long time reader of this forum, but this is my first post! I've been so appreciative of all the knowledge available.

So, my question: there is this great new plugin released by Martin Vicanek, freeware, called MIDI CHOIR, both VST and a standalone EXE program for live performance:

http://vicanek.de/audioprocessing/midichoir.htm

I am using ubuntu studio 16.04 64 bit. I downloaded MIDI CHOIR, opened up the VST in Reaper, opened the standalone .exe program in wine, but neither will connect to audio or MIDI, either through Jack or Alsa... Help!

I have been looking for a midi virtual instrument that can be used for live performance, to pitch-bend vocals into chords played on the midi keyboard, similar to what Bon Iver does with the Prismizer effect in his song, CRΣΣKS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWcX-dRTSeY

Any ideas or pointers would be welcome. Thanks!
“Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all... We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.”
--Aristotle
antiesen
Established Member

Re: New "Midi Choir" effect, i.e. Prismizer, works on linux?

Post by antiesen »

Hello shanefiddle,

Not much to find: GVST - Gsnap can at least transpose one voice. But if I remember correctly in reaper there is an internal pitchshifter which can be controlled by midi.
This was made to end all partys - Einstürzende Neubauten 1985
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

This would be really really fun to play with. Hope you can get it working...
listenable at c6a7.org
shanefiddle
Established Member

Post by shanefiddle »

antiesen »
Not much to find: GVST - Gsnap can at least transpose one voice. But if I remember correctly in reaper there is an internal pitchshifter which can be controlled by midi.
Thanks for the idea! I don't think this will work though..."GVST - Gsnap" looks like a tool that tries to take one pitch and move it to a different single pitch, rather than a full chord like "Midi Choir"... is this true? Or is there a way to set it up to play chords? This would be a great solution if so.

Ufug, I will definitely post any solution(s) I find. This is something a lot folks are interested in right now.

More background:
"Prismizer (/ˈprɪsəmaɪzər/) is a new type of audio codec that sounds similar to a vocoder in that it synthesizes the human voice signal, but it retains the freshness of sound vibrations. It was initial created in the Harmony Engine plugin and recalls the sound of Auto-Tune but, in contrast to the monotone voice oscillations of the latter, it sounds more saturated. The name combines the two words, prism and harmonizer, in reference to the polyharmonic pitch, which provides saturation akin to the dispersion of light through a prism.It debuted on the Chance the Rapper mixtape Coloring Book, and he has stated that it will appear on the new Kanye West album, Turbo Grafx 16. It can be heard on Frank Ocean's sophomore album, Blonde, the upcoming Bon Iver album 22, A Million, and Farewell, Starlite!, the debut album of its inventor, Francis Starlite of Francis and the Lights.The live instrument version of the Prismizer was developed by Chris Messina, studio manager for Justin Vernon, and is known as the "The Messina." (en)"
“Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all... We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.”
--Aristotle
antiesen
Established Member

Post by antiesen »

Inside G-Snap you can switch to midi control, but no you can´t play chords because it handels only one voice.
The Plugin in Reaper is called ReaVoice - and yes this can handle up to 8 voices - and sounds better than G-snap.
As you look rather for a vocoder - try TAL Vocoder - or ReaVocode - or maybe combine them with ReaVoice.
This was made to end all partys - Einstürzende Neubauten 1985
shanefiddle
Established Member

Post by shanefiddle »

Excellent! Yes, ReaVoice seems like it will work. It looks like ReaVoice does not open in the Carla plugin host on my computer unfortunately. But perhaps I can just open ReaVoice in Reaper and use it for live performance from there. A little messy, but totally possible. Has anyone else had experience opening Reaper plugins in Carla? (I'm using Carla 1.2.4 installed through KXStudio.)

It looks like ReaVoice will need to be combined with a bunch of other plugins to make it work: first to alter the solo voice to make it become a single pitch at all times (middle C), compressors to even out peaks, ReaVoice, then EQs and autotune to enrich the tone and strengthen the bass... I'll work on the effects chain and post back soon.
--Aristotle
shanefiddle
Established Member

Post by shanefiddle »

antiesen, thanks for the vocoder suggestions too - I will try them out. So far, most vocoders I have tried have flattened the vocals too much to create the sound of the Prismizer plugin. The closest I have found is the MDA vocoder plugin - on certain settings it sounds pretty natural, and less robotic. The MDA vocoder works in Carla plugin host too, which I definitely like :-)
--Aristotle