Orchestra Reverb

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Michael Willis
Established Member

Orchestra Reverb

Post by Michael Willis »

Is anybody here using a free/oss orchestra hall reverb that they're happy with? I'm using freeverb3 which sounds really nice for orchestral instruments and has features that I like, but the VST isn't compiled for Linux, so I'm using Carla's win64 bridge. It ends up using more CPU than I would like, and is prone to crashing, so I would really like to find a native solution.

A lot of the plugins that I've looked at use algorithms like plate reverb or spring reverb which are fine for guitar/bass/drums/vocal kind of setups, but don't work as well for orchestral arrangements. I'd really like one that differentiates between early reflections and late reverb, having separate parameters for each.

I'm willing to experiment with convolution reverbs, but if I go that route, I'd like to find a set of impulses that go together to simulate the front, middle, and back sections of the same concert hall. I'm not even sure how to find that, as a cursory internet search hadn't been fruitful.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated!
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Orchestra Reverb

Post by sysrqer »

As far as I've seen there isn't much in the way of detailed control for reverbs but I would like to see some other replies about this.

Out of interest, which have you seen for spring reverbs?
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Sorry, now that I'm taking another look around, I'm not finding any spring reverb plugins. I was probably getting the term confused with something else.

On the bright side, my looking around reminded me that TAP Reverb has some concert hall presets, I tried that a while ago when I first started experimenting with a DAW, I should try it again and see what I think now that I have more experience.
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

I find the default settings of Calf Vintage Reverb pretty good for my tastes.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

FaTony wrote:I find the default settings of Calf Vintage Reverb pretty good for my tastes.
I haven't tried Calf Vintage Reverb, I'll have to take it for a spin. Just curious, what kind of music are you doing with it?
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

The reverb I use most is Zita Rev1
http://kokkinizita.linuxaudio.org/linux ... guide.html

It would really surprise me if you cant get out of it what you wont.
On the road again.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Zita doesn't differentiate between early reflections and late reverb (for that matter, neither does TAP), but now that I think of it, as long as the CPU usage per instance is low enough, maybe I could fake it with two instances, one for early reflection and another for late reverb.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Have you tried mverb? It has a mix dial for early/late reflections.
Telover
Established Member

Post by Telover »

I also use Calf Reverb, Michael. I apply it to the master track in Ardour, just a bit. If I need for a single instruments having something more, I apply it also there. But never tried on orchestra for the fact I'm stiil looking for a decent orchestra but it seems being a huge black hole in Linux.
varpa
Established Member

Post by varpa »

I don't know about orchestral reverb but I wonder why using a convolution reverb (e.g. IR or KlangFalter) with a impulse response from a concert hall? Perhaps not all parameters are programmable but presumably the impulse response would implicitly contain the early and late response characteristics. Or you could run an Windows reverb like Valhalla Room.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

A convolution reverb might work really well. I'm trying to determine a way to give the sections different stage presence, from front to back: strings, woodwinds, brass, percussion. I want the sections to sound like they are at somewhat different distances, with early reflections being directly proportional to how close the section, among other things like predelay.

So, it involves either a parameterized reverb, or a set of convolution impulses intended for such an effect... or maybe I can fake it, using a hybrid approach with single concern hall convolution impulse combined with using an algorithmic reverb to "fake" the early reflections differently for each layer of stage presence.
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

Michael Willis wrote:I haven't tried Calf Vintage Reverb, I'll have to take it for a spin. Just curious, what kind of music are you doing with it?
Here: https://lyberta.net/stuff/music/ Mostly orchestral.
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Mike, the easiest and least resource-hungry way to do this:

1) Run each instrument section into its own (separate) delay plugin.

2) Set each delay time as desired. instruments farther back get longer times. Don't go over 30 milliseconds, or you'll hear it as a "slap echo".

3) Run all the delay plugins into a single reverb plugin, Do NOT put any reverb on the direct orch sound -- only the delays get reverb. And the delays go only into the reverb -- not directly into your mix bus. Of course, both the direct orch sound, and the reverb output, go into the mix.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Michael Willis wrote:
Zita doesn't differentiate between early reflections and late reverb (for that matter, neither does TAP), but now that I think of it, as long as the CPU usage per instance is low enough, maybe I could fake it with two instances, one for early reflection and another for late reverb.
There is a nice Invada early reflection reverb, I've heard people say they really like it.

The 4 TAL reverbs cover a lot of ground.

U-he's free researchware Protoverb will generate randomized reverbs, using separate randomizers
for reverb/delay portions. It generates codes which you save and load.

The U-he forum topic is interesting,

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=453229

and quite a few people posted their codes,
one users list is in page 9. Over 2000 codes were submitted to U-he, as part of
the protoverb research project. There are a couple of youtube videos out there.

The linux plugins are here: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=424953

They install simply by running a script, and accepting the terms of use.
Cheers
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

j_e_f_f_g wrote:Mike, the easiest and least resource-hungry way...
Thanks for sharing the tips. Will definitely try this!
Cheers