Native Access

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

r30
Established Member

Re: Native Access

Post by r30 »

glowrak guy wrote:
r30 wrote: I have the SSD but I will have this in consideration in case the installation fails. Thanks.
I'd suggest just installing a few at a time, rather than the whole enchilada.
(...)
That's a pretty good advice, I was thinking of installing all at once, but definitely that would be more prudent.

BTW, here's a thread in NI site regarding this issue, maybe you guys find it useful.

Native Access in Linux

Cheers :)
frostfall
Established Member

Post by frostfall »

I achieved to make the free Kontakt Player runnable on my Linux (Even the VST within Carla). I can't remember the exact step (sorry), but here are some few tricks I usually do when I have some complex software :

[*] Install wine-rt instead of wine.
[*] Don't forget to install wineasio
[*] Try with a Windows XP or Win7 in winecfg. Sometimes some software may work with WinXP but not with Win7
[*] Install vc_redit.x86 (dll 2013)
[*] Put msvcr120 and msvcp120 as native in winecfg (I noted those 2 step specifically for Kontakt 5)
[*] When I was completely stuck I used a software called Regshot on a VirtualBox windows machine, Do a 1st shot. Install the software, Do a 2nd shot and compare. Create a .reg file of the useful modifications (search for the name of the software in the log), then start the wine regedit and import those modifications. Copy the Program Files folder of the VirtualBox app in wine. This advice makes most of the audio software just work, because usually when wine has some problem, it's all about the protection the manufacturer put on the software installer, and it's easier after installation.

I hope it is helpful.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

Well, I've got the current Native Access to run with wine.

I had to hack into wine and force the volumepath which wine is getting wrong for some reason.

At least the problem has been ID'd and can now hopefully be fixed.

The problem is in GetVolumePathNameW in volume.c which returns "C:\\Program
Files\\Native Instruments\\Native Access\\Native Access.exe\\" but should return C:\

The current Native Access also needs a msvcp140.dll override.
Taika-Kim
Established Member

Post by Taika-Kim »

Phew, I did not have Linux for a long while, glad to see the situation has improved, really looking forward to getting things running!
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

Does all these tricks apply to Reaktor 6 ? Actually I can't run it under Linux. Could someone points me to a list of the dlls to add to wine and the mods in the parameters ? Thanks.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

As far as I can tell, Native Access works with the bugfix, but at the moment wine needs to be compiled with the bugfix.

The last time I looked at Reaktor I got it running using LinVst and

Reaktor 6 (msvcp140.dll concrt140.dll dll overrides for Wine 2.0)
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

Last edited by ubuntuuser on Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

Last edited by ubuntuuser on Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

The Native Access fix is in Wine Devel 3.5.

Native Access needs a msvcp140.dll override.

The winbind and libntlm0 packages might need to be installed for net access as well.

Waves Central works with Wine Staging and I don't know about 3.x versions of Wine Staging and if they are in sync with Wine Devel 3.x yet.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

More news on Native Access.

Native Access aborts during an install.

I installed a Reactor demo using Native Access and it stops around 33%.

It's stopping after the download (download uses aria2c.exe) and it actually downloads the file ok in ~/.wine/drive_c/users/user/Downloads.

The file is an iso or zip file

If the downloaded iso file is manually mounted in Linux and installed then when Native Access is run again it will say that it's installed, same goes for a downloaded zip file.

sudo mkdir -p /mnt/diskiso

sudo mount -o loop ~/.wine/drive_c/users/user/Downloads/isoname.iso /mnt/diskiso

So as far as I can tell by trying demo installs, Waves Central and Native Access both work (barring individual system problems or whatever).

There is also this workaround used by some Windows users

There's a workaround now that you can pause downloads. I can only speak from Windows perspective. Start your download and pause it. Now go to C: drive and show hidden files, you will see a hidden folder with "ni" in its name. Inside it you will find a "metalink" file, open it in Notepad. At the end of it is the download link, which you copy and paste in your browser. Cancel download from NA, close NA, download via browser, mount ISO, install.

For all NI iso files they need to be mounted using udf and the unhide option.

sudo mount -t udf file.iso -o unhide /mnt

run winecfg and check the Drives tab for a windows drive letter associated with /mnt

cd /mnt and run the installer (wine setup.exe)

To unmount the iso change to a drirectory away from /mnt and then sudo umount /mnt

For cd installs

sudo mount -t udf -o unhide /dev/sr0 /mnt
Taika-Kim
Established Member

Post by Taika-Kim »

With wine-staging 3.14:

Code: Select all

2004b:fixme:dwmapi:DwmIsCompositionEnabled 0x33f114
004b:fixme:win:LockWindowUpdate ((nil)), partial stub!
0057:fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
005a:err:msiexec:custom_action_server Failed to create custom action server pipe: 2
I think I have the overrides set, visual C libraries installed, etc.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

Taika-Kim wrote:With wine-staging 3.14:

Code: Select all

2004b:fixme:dwmapi:DwmIsCompositionEnabled 0x33f114
0057:fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
005a:err:msiexec:custom_action_server Failed to create custom action server pipe: 2
I think I have the overrides set, visual C libraries installed, etc.

https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=45663
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

I wish there was an easy way to install previous Wine binary versions (rollback).

Some Wine patches end up breaking things.

Waves Central stopped working due to a cmd.exe patch in Wine Staging 3.12 and it's in Wine Staging 3.13 as well, and it's in Wine Staging 3.14 but Wine Staging 3.15 should be ok and Native Access should be ok as well
uriukti

Post by uriukti »

Good afternoon friends. I hear very well the difference in the sound quality of windows and linux. It is collosal. Therefore, I switch to linux and also try to drag NI NA here. So far I've stumbled across all the same problems. I'm using playonlinux. My NA works with wine 3.14. But it works badly. It crashes without installing the application correctly until the end. But after restarting it says that the application is installed if the application was zip. And if the iso installation does not happen. I use a 32-bit version of NA, because 64 bit version did not get installed. I will try just as you try to achieve the installation and if I find good methods, I'll write here.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

uriukti wrote:Good afternoon friends. I hear very well the difference in the sound quality of windows and linux. It is collosal. Therefore, I switch to linux and also try to drag NI NA here. So far I've stumbled across all the same problems. I'm using playonlinux. My NA works with wine 3.14. But it works badly. It crashes without installing the application correctly until the end. But after restarting it says that the application is installed if the application was zip. And if the iso installation does not happen. I use a 32-bit version of NA, because 64 bit version did not get installed. I will try just as you try to achieve the installation and if I find good methods, I'll write here.
Native Access crashes or stops because it tries to start a Wine incompatible iso mounter (after downloading the iso file) for the downloaded iso and maybe also tries to start something for zip files.

Anyway, Wine can't handle it but the iso or zip file actually downloads and then needs to be installed manually.

Native Access downloads the file ok in ~/.wine/drive_c/users/user/Downloads (user is your username)

The file can be a iso or zip file.

If the downloaded iso file is manually mounted in Linux and installed then when Native Access is run again it will say that it's installed, same goes for a downloaded zip file.

The iso file needs to be mounted as a udf with a unhide option because the iso is Windows/Mac and the Windows part needs the unhide option.

sudo mount -t udf ~/.wine/drive_c/users/user/Downloads/isoname.iso -o unhide /mnt

cd /mnt and then install.

To unmount the iso change to a drirectory away from /mnt and then sudo umount /mnt