turkish/arabic synth sounds

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

juhana
Established Member

turkish/arabic synth sounds

Post by juhana »

Turkish or arabic versions of arranger keyboards costs 800+ euros. Therefore I'm very interested in what is available in open source / free community.

Zynaddsubfx is top synth. I'm trying to find diagram/parameters for Casio CZ101 sound Zurna so that we could implement it to Zyn. I hear this Zurna is excellent compared to sampled Zurna sounds.

Someone at music-dsp mailing list had Csync patch for physically modeled flute, year 2000+. That was excellent sound. I would like to have that kind of physically modeled flute. Could anyone add physical modeling section to Zyn? Nay flute; mey flute.

I have not checked physically modeled guitars. Saz lute, baglama lute. Saz/baglama has 7 strings: 2 coupled + 2 coupled + 3 tripled. Maybe this can be simulated by 2 + 2 + 3 physically modeled strings; considering the small time difference when the strings are plucked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mMQny2v8Go

Audacity got some improvements to pitch/spectrum analysis. I'm now able to examine sounds/music better. Both the playing style and the sound are important. If both are medium quality, we could have something at least.
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: turkish/arabic synth sounds

Post by sysrqer »

This sounds like a challenge for unfa 8)
juhana
Established Member

Post by juhana »

I think suggesting to use LMMS just is not helpful. We have had samplers in GNU/Linux for long time already. LMMS does not change the situation.

I have old soundsets of turkish/arabic arrangers. They are samples. While I believe the sets were self-made and legal, we need to create our own. If there are people interested in organizing such project, I would like to join. List of instruments; looking for people who own them; etc.

I think physical simulation is the best way because arranger playings sounds just terrible, mostly. I found the following on Tanbur. Implementing generic physical modeling synth in Zyn is a good starting point; I would say requirement.
https://aaltodoc.aalto.fi/handle/123456789/2230
juhana
Established Member

Post by juhana »

Piano roll is not enough. I would like to draw pitch curves in time-line, and feed those to synth. MIDI may not be good enough.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

That's a very interesting link, thanks for sharing. My bachelors dissertation was on a similar topic. I will look into, maybe many algorithms and such are not too complex to translate into FAUST code.
unfa
Established Member

Post by unfa »

LMMS has a built-in instrument for simulating plucked strings instruments called Vibed:
Selection_075.png
Selection_075.png (53.94 KiB) Viewed 1880 times
aicram
Established Member

Post by aicram »

Hello everyone,

I am very interested in these Turkish/Arabic sounds as well. Had no idea lmms had vibed to work with. WIll have to try it. Love zynaddsubfx as well. Lmms is very nice for me to get things going with my yamaha ypg235 keyboard . So far the vst's I have tried work very well for me in lmms. There is one vst that I use called Eastern One and it is fun to try. Cannot remember where I got it but it was a free one, maybe just a demo. Of course, I am no expert on the quality of these sounds. Hope this all continues and some great new exotic sounds are developed.

Thanks to you all.

Sincerely,
aicram
aicram
Established Member

Post by aicram »

Forgot to mention that I use a sf2 called ArabTurk in lmms with my keyboard once in awhile. Has some good sounds as far as I can tell. Do not remember how I found it but it is free.

aicram