Live setup start script

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Live setup start script

Post by Frank Carvalho »

Hi

I wrote a bash script to start a complete Linux live setup, and I though I might share it for anyone interested:
https://github.com/etceteramusic/live_shell

The script has two purposes:
1) To start all programs in the live setup
2) To make it easy to move a complete setup to another computer

The idea is that all your live configurations should go to the same folder where you put the live.sh script. If you add your program and its startup parameters to the script, then the script will start all programs in a suitable order, meaning jackd first, and Carla last (because Carla manages the connections). Once you've got the setup working, the configuration folder may be archived and moved to another machine to be started there.
One reason for making a script was that Carla cannot support everything, and sometimes you need an odd program in your setup. I wanted to use QTractor for some live sequencing and Bristol for its Solina emulation, NON-mixer for a custom mixer. And then I always use MidiLayer-0.4.3 for patch organisation. None of these programs will start from Carla, so the script ties things together. The script really only relies on bash and gawk, so it is very easy to get running.

Hope that someone finds it useful.

/Frank
Vox, Selmer, Yamaha and Leslie amplifiers. Rickenbacker, Epiphone, Ibanez, Washburn, Segovia, Yamaha and Fender guitars. Hammond, Moog, Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Crumar, Ensoniq and Mellotron keyboards. Xubuntu+KXStudio recording setup.