[SOLVED] Carla with ALSA backend — no sound from plugins

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

chaocrator
Established Member

[SOLVED] Carla with ALSA backend — no sound from plugins

Post by chaocrator »

i have a machine, where i don't want to have a full-blown jack-based setup for several reasons (well, that's a workstation at my job, where i occasionally have some free time).

i installed Carla from KXStudio repos. as i can figure out from Carla settings, it should be capable of running with ALSA driver.

so, i changed settings and started it with ALSA driver. when i add any softsynth plugin and play a note, i can see volume level indicator activity, but there's no sound from speakers/headphones.

this happens either with onboard and USB audio interfaces.
both are definitely working, i get sound from other applications, e.g. bristol or yoshimi, when running them with ALSA backend (no jack).

when carla starts, i can hear specific click in speakers/headfones, so it definitely occupies audio output. but there's no sound.

any thoughts? did i miss something?

thanks in advance.
chaocrator
Established Member

Re: [SOLVED] Carla with ALSA backend — no sound from plugins

Post by chaocrator »

actually, i missed to connect Carla output to system audio out in the patchbay, habitually thinking that patchbay is for JACK connections.

marking thread as [SOLVED].
snarkbutt

Re: [SOLVED] Carla with ALSA backend — no sound from plugins

Post by snarkbutt »

Thanks. I wasn't sure how to do this either. The audio levels were showing in the GUI but nothing came out of the speakers. I didn't know how to patch it.