Using Hydrogen to play DrumGizmo's DRS Kit

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: Using Hydrogen to play DrumGizmo's DRS Kit

Post by funkmuscle »

hey guys, I'd love to make my own h2drumkit files to work with DG especially because I love DrumGizmo but hate piano roll programming.
It's so much easier creating patterns with H2. DG has a new kit and I'd love to make a h2drumkit file for me to use but for the life of me, I don't have a clue on how to do all of this so it works via midi.

Is it possible to explain or give us a howto?
marcellendi
Established Member

Post by marcellendi »

Hey Funkmuscle,

I noticed the new drum kit. I have downloaded the kit but haven't found the time yet to make the H2 file and the Ardour template. I think I will finish it in a week or 2. Then I will publish it here.

Marcel
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

marcellendi wrote:Hey Funkmuscle,

I noticed the new drum kit. I have downloaded the kit but haven't found the time yet to make the H2 file and the Ardour template. I think I will finish it in a week or 2. Then I will publish it here.

Marcel
thanx Marcel

Harv
wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

marcellendi wrote: I think I will finish it in a week or 2.l
Hey Marcel,

thanks from me too - for the DRSKit conversion/mapping! Just started playing around with it, Hydrogen integration is still to be done. First I'll start trying the whiskers kit, then I'll see.

Need something like a good and free acoustic bass - I'll keep looking ;-)

Great work - thanks again.
more about me on my blog
mtemmerm
Established Member

Post by mtemmerm »

Nice to see people still using this :-). My home studio has been dismantled since then, should be back up in a few weeks though. I'll see if I can get around to putting a tutorial together. Thanks Marcel for working on this.

Cheers,
Michael
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

mtemmerm wrote:Nice to see people still using this :-). My home studio has been dismantled since then, should be back up in a few weeks though. I'll see if I can get around to putting a tutorial together. Thanks Marcel for working on this.

Cheers,
Michael
Michael yes, I was so happy when you first post this here.. I was hoping for something like this as piano rolls are not as easy as building patterns and then placing in the editor for arrangements in H2.
DG and H2 teams should work something together if possible or like you said, a tutorial would be very helpful so we can do on our own instead of taking up you and Marcel's time.
Thanx again guys.
marcellendi
Established Member

Post by marcellendi »

Actually it is quite easy to do. All you need is an empty wave file and the midi note mapping of the drumkit. There are maybe a few minor things ( I have to look that one up, but I have no access to my computer until Sunday.) There was something about grouping instruments, but if I remember correctly this is done by DG. Grouping is that if you hit the hi hat the previous hi hat note should silence.

Anyway the basic idea is that each instrument get a midi note and an empty wave file. That's all.

So basically you can take one of the other DG drumkit files for H2 I made, and check the midi mapping file of the new kit.

The other part is to assign the correct mapping of the busses in Ardour. But there are already fine manuals for that.
mtemmerm
Established Member

Post by mtemmerm »

marcellendi wrote:There was something about grouping instruments, but if I remember correctly this is done by DG. Grouping is that if you hit the hi hat the previous hi hat note should silence.
You can assign a 'mute group' in Hydrogen, for example putting open and close HH in the same mute group will effectively mute one when you 'hit' the other.
marcellendi wrote:Anyway the basic idea is that each instrument get a midi note and an empty wave file. That's all.
I believe I initially used one empty wave file which got referenced throughout the drumkit. No need to have multiple empty files in there.

If you take a look at the XML inside the drumkit, you should also be able to figure most of it out. I'll post some more useful instructions as soon as I find time.

Michael
marcellendi
Established Member

Post by marcellendi »

Hi Micheal,

You are right with muting groups, but if I remember correctly it is not needed in H2 because in the DG also the instruments are grouped. You can see it if you open the mapping file of a DG kit.

You are right about the wav file. It is just a fake file. But H2 refuses to send info out without a file attached.
marcellendi
Established Member

Post by marcellendi »

Hi Guys,

As promised the H2 file and Ardour template for the Crocelkit. I just programmed it and it seems to be ok. But please try for yourself and if you find any problem, please let me know.

Have fun!

Marcel
Attachments
Crocellkit.tar.gz
(16.37 KiB) Downloaded 199 times
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

thanx Marcel. Will test it soon.
peterjschroeder

Post by peterjschroeder »

The Aasimonster kit Hydrogen template sends the wrong midi note for Tom 3. It should be 69.
CraigPid
Established Member

Post by CraigPid »

A couple of questions. When playing DrumGizmo with Hydrogen, do the humanize controls in DG work? I tried this with the DRS kit and I couldn't tell if they were having an effect. The humanize controls in Hydrogen were working. Also the bleed control didn't seem to have any effect. I had the older version of DRS and I downloaded the patch which, from what I understand, would make the bleed control work in the DRS kit.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

CraigPid wrote:A couple of questions. When playing DrumGizmo with Hydrogen, do the humanize controls in DG work? I tried this with the DRS kit and I couldn't tell if they were having an effect. The humanize controls in Hydrogen were working. Also the bleed control didn't seem to have any effect. I had the older version of DRS and I downloaded the patch which, from what I understand, would make the bleed control work in the DRS kit.
I've recorded that exact kit the same way you've done it and I've messed with the controllers on both applications and I had no issues getting each to work separately or I should say their humanizing functions to work separately and properly.
biggsy
Established Member

Post by biggsy »

Hey guys!

This is great but I'm having some issues.

Setup:

I have the Hydrogen kits provided in this thread. I have the Aasimonster kit samples downloaded. I am using the Ardour template from the sample download page rather than this thread as I prefer the reverb setup they have used.

Working:

I can trigger the samples using the piano roll in Ardour. I can trigger the samples by clicking on the relevant drum line in Hydrogen.

Not working:

I can program patterns in Hydrogen and they play using the samples but they play out of time, as if being played by a really lame drummer who can't keep a beat.

I can record the MIDI output from the Hydrogen pattern into Ardour but they are even more out of time, as if the same really lame drummer is now also totally wasted!

The above is definitely nothing to do with timing humanization as that is currently turned off.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing these issues and what I can do to fix it?

Many thanks,
Steve

P.S. A less serious issue - when I record into Ardour I have to start the recording in Ardour and then switch to Hydrogen to start the pattern playing there. Is there a way I can synchronize these so that I set everything up, press go in one place and they both start together? Thanks