real time noise cancellation plugin

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

blubee
Established Member

real time noise cancellation plugin

Post by blubee »

Hi

I saw some videos on youtube of people recording podcasts and things like that where they hook up some vst's to the audio in, then it will do real time noise cancellation, compression, boosting bass etc.

I was wondering are there any plugins like that for linux? There's audacity that you can go through and do some steps but I was wondering are there any tools to do it real time, especially with jack and tools like carla.
bluebell
Established Member

Re: real time noise cancellation plugin

Post by bluebell »

In the shiny Windows world they often don't talk about the internals but sell and hype black box approaches.

Probably it's only the well-known stuff like noise gate, compressor, limiter, exciter, EQ. The bad news: In the Linux world you have to know what you do. The good news: It's all there, e.g. in de CALF plugin suite.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

eric71
Established Member

Post by eric71 »

As far as the noise cancellation - as the native Linux REAPER port comes along, the built-in ReaFir effect has a "subtract" mode. It allows you to take a snapshot of a track (for instance a short part with only the background noise of a microphone) and then automatically subtract that from that track. I've usually used it after the fact, but I suppose it would also work on live recording.
blubee
Established Member

Post by blubee »

can you guys post any link to youtube or any tutorials, references how to do this? I am not an audio professional but I am willing to put in the work to learn.
warkus
Established Member

Post by warkus »

eric71 wrote:As far as the noise cancellation - as the native Linux REAPER port comes along, the built-in ReaFir effect has a "subtract" mode. It allows you to take a snapshot of a track (for instance a short part with only the background noise of a microphone) and then automatically subtract that from that track. I've usually used it after the fact, but I suppose it would also work on live recording.
Won't help for live, but I do the same thing without a plugin by copying a part of the region without music playing (just noise) and paste it into a new track duplicating to match the length of the above region, reverse the polarity on one of the tracks and the noise is canceled out. I assume the plugin is doing the same thing. I bounce the two tracks down to one if processing power is an issue.

As for realtime effects for anything in linux you can as said above use calf plugins.
Launch calf plugins from menu > add plugins.
Open Catia under tools in Cadence (which should already be running) > route audio from system input > calf plugins > recording program > system out.
There are many other good plugins which will achieve the same result but calf are a good place to start.

What sound card, preamp, and microphone are you using?
blubee
Established Member

Post by blubee »

warkus wrote:
eric71 wrote:As far as the noise cancellation - as the native Linux REAPER port comes along, the built-in ReaFir effect has a "subtract" mode. It allows you to take a snapshot of a track (for instance a short part with only the background noise of a microphone) and then automatically subtract that from that track. I've usually used it after the fact, but I suppose it would also work on live recording.
Won't help for live, but I do the same thing without a plugin by copying a part of the region without music playing (just noise) and paste it into a new track duplicating to match the length of the above region, reverse the polarity on one of the tracks and the noise is canceled out. I assume the plugin is doing the same thing. I bounce the two tracks down to one if processing power is an issue.

As for realtime effects for anything in linux you can as said above use calf plugins.
Launch calf plugins from menu > add plugins.
Open Catia under tools in Cadence (which should already be running) > route audio from system input > calf plugins > recording program > system out.
There are many other good plugins which will achieve the same result but calf are a good place to start.

What sound card, preamp, and microphone are you using?
Thanks for this writeup, I understand how to route the audio through patchage or even the built in cadence tools. The issue is I don't really know what effects to use. For instance I do have calf plugins installed and I can use the compressor, limiter, expander, etc...
After using audacity for a while, the process just seemed a bit tedious and was doing some research where I came across this article http://www.penguinproducer.com/Blog/201 ... e-removal/

The youtube video is gone so is the link to the cmt plugins but it inspired me to try and reproduce the setup.

I've tried to follow along but I seem to make things sound worse than better. I use ardour to do most of my music things, is that the tools you use to reverse the polarity? How do reverse the polarity?
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

You may reverse the phase on each track/bus in Ardour.
Just use these buttons in a mixer strip:
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.