Rakarrack Won't Start in GUI; Terminal Gives "Segmentation Fault (Core Dumped)"-Error

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

SLCBagpiper
Established Member

Rakarrack Won't Start in GUI; Terminal Gives "Segmentation Fault (Core Dumped)"-Error

Post by SLCBagpiper »

Hi, guys.

I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 with the KXStudio Desktop Environment on a 64-bit Dell XPS L702X laptop. I'm trying to launch Rakarrack, which I may very well be doing for the first time on this computer; I can't remember for sure. But let's say yes, to be safe; I have used Rakarrack on other computers before, though.

When I try to launch Rakarrack from the Kickoff Application Launcher, Rakarrack shows up fine in the list of programs, but when I click on it in the GUI, Rakarrack shows up in the Task Bar for a few seconds, with the two rotating semicirlces, then . . . nothing. I tried this twice; no joy. I restarted the computer and tried launching Rakarrack again; still no joy. So I opened Konsole (Terminal--but not as root, falktx! I've learned my lesson to not run "sudo <program name>". LOL :lol: ), and here's the result:

Code: Select all

papabear@papabear-Dell-System-XPS-L702X:~$ rakarrack

rakarrack 0.6.1 - Copyright (c) Josep Andreu - Ryan Billing - Douglas McClendon - Arnout Engelen
Try 'rakarrack --help' for command-line options.
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
papabear@papabear-Dell-System-XPS-L702X:~$ 
So I tried removing, purging, and re-installing Rakarrack, then re-starting the computer--twice. Rakarrack still won't launch in GUI, and I get the same output when I try to launch it in Terminal.

I DID read the other posts on this Forum about "Segmentation Fault (Core Dumped)"-errors, but none of the posts were about Rakarrack specifically, and so I break my long silence to ask for your kind help. I don't think that it's safe to assume that the fixes pertaining to other applications would work for Rakarrack; if I'm incorrect, then I apologize.

What's the next step, please?

Thanks so much, as always, for your kind attention. All The Best! Slàinte!

(P. S.: Want a bit of irony? I just barely bought an electric guitar, after not having had one for a couple of decades, and was so looking forward to using it, instead of electronic bagpipes, with Rakarrack for a change, when---phhhtt! I get all this drama that prompts me to call upon your patience and expertise. You have to laugh at these things, otherwise . . . )
"If it's stupid, but it works, then it's not stupid."
---Art. III, Murphy's Military Law
tnovelli
Established Member

Re: Rakarrack Won't Start in GUI; Terminal Gives "Segmentation Fault (Core Dumped)"-Error

Post by tnovelli »

Try Guitarix... Rakarrack has gotten pretty buggy the last few years.
ssj71
Established Member

Re: Rakarrack Won't Start in GUI; Terminal Gives "Segmentation Fault (Core Dumped)"-Error

Post by ssj71 »

Gotten buggy?... Works OK for me.
Do you have the kxstudio repos or are you installing what ever Ubuntu has? If not from kx I'd be sure to do that first. If the issue persists you can try and run it using the commands:

gdb rakarrack
r
(Wait till it crashes)
bt

I'm fairly familiar with the rakarrack code so I can probably help with the output from that back trace.
In the mean time try out guitarix, or use Carla with the rkrlv2 plugins and various other plugs
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
SLCBagpiper
Established Member

Post by SLCBagpiper »

ssj71 wrote:Gotten buggy?... Works OK for me.
Do you have the kxstudio repos or are you installing what ever Ubuntu has? If not from kx I'd be sure to do that first. If the issue persists you can try and run it using the commands:

gdb rakarrack
r
(Wait till it crashes)
bt

I'm fairly familiar with the rakarrack code so I can probably help with the output from that back trace.
In the mean time try out guitarix, or use Carla with the rkrlv2 plugins and various other plugs
Hi, @ssj71. Thanks for the reply.

I got Rakarrack from Muon Discover, which I think is specific to KXStudio, as it's the Software Center that shows up when you ask for a software center in KXStudio. I then tried Rakarrack from the Synaptic Package Manager, and then from "sudo apt-get install rakarrack" in Terminal; I guess that was three times installing and removing, not two. (As if I can count or something; oops. :oops: )

Here's the output of those commands you suggested:

papabear@papabear-Dell-System-XPS-L702X:~$ gdb rakarrack
GNU gdb (Ubuntu 7.7.1-0ubuntu5~14.04.2) 7.7.1
Copyright (C) 2014 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu".
Type "show configuration" for configuration details.
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>.
Find the GDB manual and other documentation resources online at:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.
For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word"...
Reading symbols from rakarrack...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
(gdb) r
Starting program: /usr/bin/rakarrack 
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".

rakarrack 0.6.1 - Copyright (c) Josep Andreu - Ryan Billing - Douglas McClendon - Arnout Engelen
[New Thread 0x7ffff7fbf700 (LWP 3351)]
[New Thread 0x7ffff7f3e700 (LWP 3352)]

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
strlen () at ../sysdeps/x86_64/strlen.S:106
106     ../sysdeps/x86_64/strlen.S: No such file or directory.
(gdb) bt
#0  strlen () at ../sysdeps/x86_64/strlen.S:106
#1  0x00007ffff79a2545 in Fl::set_fonts(char const*) () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libfltk.so.1.1
#2  0x000000000045affc in ?? ()
#3  0x000000000040649c in ?? ()                                                                                                                                                    
#4  0x00007ffff5aedec5 in __libc_start_main (main=0x406170, argc=1, argv=0x7fffffffdba8, init=<optimized out>, fini=<optimized out>, rtld_fini=<optimized out>,                    
    stack_end=0x7fffffffdb98) at libc-start.c:287                                                                                                                                  
#5  0x000000000040655d in ?? ()
#6  0x00007fffffffdb98 in ?? ()
#7  0x000000000000001c in ?? ()
#8  0x0000000000000001 in ?? ()
#9  0x00007fffffffdfd4 in ?? ()
#10 0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()
(gdb) 
I have Guitarix on my system as well, but I'm more familiar with Rakarrack; if Rakarrack can be salvaged, then I'd prefer all of my toys to work, you know? I guess I could, if I have to, just use JACK Rack to build a stack of effects and connect JACK Rack to Audacity via Catia or something. But Rakarrack is very rich in effects; effects, such as an arpeggiator, that may also exist in Guitarix or JACK Rack or elsewhere, and that maybe I just overlooked them. This is why I'm a bit keen to salvage Rakarrack, if it may indeed be salvaged.

Again, thanks for the help! All The Best! Slàinte!
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

ok its something with fltk. Do you have libfltk1.3 installed? I would try a:
sudo apt-get install --reinstall libfltk1.3

and see if that gets you anywhere.
_ssj71

SLCBagpiper
Established Member

Post by SLCBagpiper »

ssj71 wrote:ok its something with fltk. Do you have libfltk1.3 installed? I would try a:
sudo apt-get install --reinstall libfltk1.3

and see if that gets you anywhere.
ssj71, thanks again for responding. Here's the output from the install/reinstall libftk1.3:

papabear@papabear-Dell-System-XPS-L702X:~$ sudo apt-get install --reinstall libfltk1.3
[sudo] password for papabear: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libfltk1.3
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 8 not upgraded.
Need to get 561 kB of archives.
After this operation, 1,445 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/universe libfltk1.3 amd64 1.3.2-4 [561 kB]
Fetched 561 kB in 4s (125 kB/s)      
Selecting previously unselected package libfltk1.3:amd64.
(Reading database ... 264127 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../libfltk1.3_1.3.2-4_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libfltk1.3:amd64 (1.3.2-4) ...
Setting up libfltk1.3:amd64 (1.3.2-4) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-0ubuntu6.7) ...
papabear@papabear-Dell-System-XPS-L702X:~$ 
Then I tried opening Rakarrack in GUI from the start-menu button. I got an Ubuntu-error message window, saying that "Rakarrack closed unexpectedly." So I ran gdb Rakarrack in Terminal to see what would happen, with this output:

papabear@papabear-Dell-System-XPS-L702X:~$ gdb rakarrack
GNU gdb (Ubuntu 7.7.1-0ubuntu5~14.04.2) 7.7.1
Copyright (C) 2014 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu".
Type "show configuration" for configuration details.
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>.
Find the GDB manual and other documentation resources online at:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.
For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word"...
Reading symbols from rakarrack...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
(gdb) r
Starting program: /usr/bin/rakarrack 
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".

[New Thread 0x7ffff7fbf700 (LWP 3969)]
[New Thread 0x7ffff7f3e700 (LWP 3970)]

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
strlen () at ../sysdeps/x86_64/strlen.S:106
106     ../sysdeps/x86_64/strlen.S: No such file or directory.
(gdb) bt
#0  strlen () at ../sysdeps/x86_64/strlen.S:106
#1  0x00007ffff79a2545 in Fl::set_fonts(char const*) () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libfltk.so.1.1
#2  0x000000000045affc in ?? ()
#3  0x000000000040649c in ?? ()
#4  0x00007ffff5aedec5 in __libc_start_main (main=0x406170, argc=1, argv=0x7fffffffdba8, init=<optimized out>, fini=<optimized out>, rtld_fini=<optimized out>, 
    stack_end=0x7fffffffdb98) at libc-start.c:287
#5  0x000000000040655d in ?? ()
#6  0x00007fffffffdb98 in ?? ()
#7  0x000000000000001c in ?? ()
#8  0x0000000000000001 in ?? ()
#9  0x00007fffffffdfd8 in ?? ()
#10 0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()
(gdb) 
Is there anything else we can try? Maybe we can pass along what we find out to the Rakarrack developers?

Thanks again for your kind help. All The Best! Slàinte!
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

Hmm. are you using 64 bit or 32?
I may have to try this at home where I have a 14.04 install. Its working fine on my local 64 bit 15.10 install. I suspect just some combination of programs in your system are bringing out the bug.
Rakarrack does some undesirable things in the code but works most of the time. It hasn't had active development for a while but if we can identify what the problem really is we can fix it and contribute a patch. I think some buffer is overwriting its bounds or something.

Really, if we want to get to the bottom of the bug, we'll need to compile it from source with the debugging flags set. You can see in the gdb backtrace all the ?? showing that it doesn't know where in the code it is. Are you up to that sort of thing. I don't think I'll have time to really explain it thoroughly.

Nice to see somebody else around here from Utah BTW. I'm up in Logan.
_ssj71

SLCBagpiper
Established Member

Post by SLCBagpiper »

ssj71 wrote:Hmm. are you using 64 bit or 32?
I may have to try this at home where I have a 14.04 install. Its working fine on my local 64 bit 15.10 install. I suspect just some combination of programs in your system are bringing out the bug.
Rakarrack does some undesirable things in the code but works most of the time. It hasn't had active development for a while but if we can identify what the problem really is we can fix it and contribute a patch. I think some buffer is overwriting its bounds or something.

Really, if we want to get to the bottom of the bug, we'll need to compile it from source with the debugging flags set. You can see in the gdb backtrace all the ?? showing that it doesn't know where in the code it is. Are you up to that sort of thing. I don't think I'll have time to really explain it thoroughly.

Nice to see somebody else around here from Utah BTW. I'm up in Logan.
Hey again, ssj71. Thank you for your reply.

Yes, it's a 64-bit laptop, a Dell XPS.

If you have the time and inclination to tinker, then that would be awesome! :D I can't be the only one in the world who's having this problem with Rakarrack. It's really too bad that Rakarrack has been dormant in development for a while, though I understand the most likely reason why; I guess with bills to pay, talented folks can't spend all their time on such projects. These freeware apps really are, at bottom labors of love, for sure, so I'm just grateful to have access to such things in the first place. I like Rakarrack because it's more like a physical, real rack setup with buttons and sliders that you manipulate with the mouse pointer instead of with your fingers. I have nothing against other plugins. Anything you could do to help would be hugely welcome to the community at large, I'm sure.

I figured that the ??s in the gdb backtrace aren't a good sign, but I have no idea how to compile source code at all. None. I wouldn't know where to begin. (I know enough about using Terminal, for instance, to be a danger to myself and others when I use it unsupervised. :lol: )

Logan's really nice; I was just there yesterday.

Again, anything you could do to help out in this would be awesome.

Thank you again for your kind attention. All The Best! Slàinte!
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

SLCBagpiper wrote:#1 0x00007ffff79a2545 in Fl::set_fonts(char const*) () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libfltk.so.1.1
This looks to me like the old knowing Bug in the FLTK font configuration.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=7250

You could try to run

fc-cache -f
Maybe that could fix it for you, if not, you need to edit the Rakarrack source and compile it your self
https://sourceforge.net/p/rakarrack/dis ... 03e5/#ee20
On the road again.