Yoshimi random detune feature

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

folderol
Established Member

Yoshimi random detune feature

Post by folderol »

A setting for this has been in the part edit window for quite a long time. There are 20 steps of approximately half a cent. This is applied as a pitch variation
to the note-on event, so is per note, and also per part (but the whole part not just one engine). At the extreme it's ideal for comedy stuff :)

It was intended to simulate to effect of fretless instruments, or fretted ones that are weight or bend sensitive, where tiny variations in normal playing would result in such pitch 'inaccuracies', e.g. solo violin. It also works quite well on flute, whistle and sounds. I've used it a few times myself and values of 2-3 seem best.

I'm wondering what use (if any) others have made of it, or even if anyone has recognised what it does!

Currently this setting isn't saved. It's still classed as an experimental feature. Also, if we keep it, and want to save it, should it be an individual instrument parameter or applied for that part in a complete patch set?
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: Yoshimi random detune feature

Post by glowrak guy »

I would want the ability to turn it on or off on each part,
just like you can enable/disable each of yoshimi's midi tracks.

The ability to turn it on/off for every part, gives the ability to
make it a global setting when desired.
Sometimes you'll have a clean sound layered with
a variable sound like the flute/violin you mention,
and you'll want to protect the clean part.

Nice feature!
folderol
Established Member

Re: Yoshimi random detune feature

Post by folderol »

Yes. The feature is 'per part' and even if we stored it, you would still be able to change it when you reload.
I hadn't thought of it before, but if you wanted two sounds exactly in unison, one with and one without this, then set for 32 parts. By default parts 1 and 17 (e.g.) are on the same MIDI channel.

As an aside, there is no noticeable overhead with having additional parts that are not used.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}