EZDrummer 2 Demo msi file installation

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

wildaudio
Established Member

EZDrummer 2 Demo msi file installation

Post by wildaudio »

Hey guys, total newbie here both to the forums and Linux music making, will make a proper introduction when I'm not crazy busy with sessions and promo!

Ok, on top the problem at hand. I have installed Reaper under Wine and am now trying to install the EZDrummer 2 demo. EZDrummer doesn't have a .exe file, rather a .msi file. I have looked up how to install these types of files and found the syntax is: wine msiexec /i <filename.msi>. When I do that, I get this output:

wine msiexec /i EZdrummer\ Demo\ 32-bit.msi
err:msidb:get_tablecolumns column 1 out of range
err:msidb:get_tablecolumns column 2 out of range
fixme:storage:create_storagefile Storage share mode not implemented.
err:msidb:get_tablecolumns column 3 out of range

I've put this string into Google and it seems to be a fairly common problem, but most people seem to have solved it by downgrading gcc. I have gone down to gcc-4.7 (although gcc-base is still 4.9, might this be a problem?), but I still get the same output. Others have said that downgrading wine has solved it for them too, but whenever I try to downgrade wine it installs 1.6 alongside the older version.

This is also apparently a fix for the problem: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=36139 . As it is, that makes pretty much no sense to me so please, anyone who can help or explain the problem in relatively plain English, you would be a lifesaver!

Thanks in advance,
Tom.
Joermungand
Established Member

Re: EZDrummer 2 Demo msi file installation

Post by Joermungand »

Are you running a 64-bit OS?
wildaudio
Established Member

Post by wildaudio »

No, 32 bit Lubuntu, I should have mentioned that!
Joermungand
Established Member

Post by Joermungand »

Now, that’s a bit of a puzzle to me. The link you posted actually explains that a patch for Wine was produced and used in the Archlinux version, which allowed wine to run msi files without problems. The only issue reported with that version of Wine came from one user who ran a 64-bit OS and lacked the appropriate 32-bit xslt library (solved upon installing missing package). I run 64-bit Arch with all necessary 32-bit libraries installed, sporting the Archaudio version of Wine-rt 1.7.30 (compiled binary file as opposed to the AUR version of wine-rt, which has to be compiled and wine takes too long to compile for my patience) and gcc-4.9.1. As reported on that page, the patch was integrated in wine 1.7.20. So, for any version of wine ≥ 1.7.20, you shouldn’t experience any issue running msi execs with gcc-4.9.
I tested the installer and, apart from the time it took to download that 2.2 GB of a monster and the tremendous amount of RAM it consumes, I’ve nothing to complain about. The installer ran smoothly, using the very same command you posted, once I set the Windows version to Windows 7 in winecfg (it refused to start otherwise, stating that it required Windows 7 or higher). The VST plugin loads and runs in Carla. The standalone application fails to detect the WineASIO driver, but, then, I’ve never managed to get any Toontrack application to actually come to terms with it. I’ve been a long-time user of Superior Drummer, both 1 and 2 – and both plugins work well with Linux VST loaders (such as FSTHost or, more recently, Carla + bridges – but these are Linux applications, not Windows hosts, I’ve never tried Reaper, for instance), despite minor quirks which can be overcome, anyway.
Long story short, it looks like your problem resides with the Wine version you’re using. I don’t know what version is available from the Ubuntu repos (is it 1.6?), but I suggest you should install KXStudio on top of your Lubuntu system (instructions at http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/) – especially if you want to use it for music production/performance, as plain Lubuntu just won’t do –, it comes with wine-rt 1.7.25, as well as a lot of other stuff which will turn your computer into the right tool for the job.
If you need any help, please don’t hesitate to ask. Please also keep me posted on your progress with the EZDrummer; I can testify that it actually works, so there certainly is a solution out there.
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

I had the same issues with wine + msi on xubuntu 14.10 with wine 1.6. I believe the issue is solved if you use wine-rt from the kxstudio repos. I will check this later today.
wildaudio
Established Member

Post by wildaudio »

Thankyou guys so much, I shall investigate KXStudio now!
wildaudio
Established Member

Post by wildaudio »

Hey guys, apologies for the late reply, have been playing with my new Tascam MX2424 - have finally wired up all of the D-Subs that I need, sooooooooo much soldering!

Anyhoo, I have finally got EZDrummer to install and am running it with Carla and into Ardour through Jack, woo, success! I attempted using dssi-vst before I found Carla, but I got a bit confused by the configure/make process, so I may make a new topic about that when I have the time, my brain is somewhat mush from a combination of Linux Terminal and solder fumes at the moment tho! Thankyou so much for your help again, and when I egt the chance in the next couple of days I shall write a proper introdution to myself :)

Cheers,
Tom.