ZynAddSubFX: Make Controllers Section Be Part Of .xiz File

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

GraysonPeddie
Established Member

ZynAddSubFX: Make Controllers Section Be Part Of .xiz File

Post by GraysonPeddie »

(I went have internet until tomorrow afternoon, so I'm using my smartphone to post.)

I want to make the controller section be part of the instrument file in order to keep the filter cutoff and resonance depth settings exact between parts. I have the same instrument in all 12 parts except the reminder 6 parts have a high pass filter in which MIDI does not allow automation of controls for every MIDI note in one channel.

Or is there a way to enter the exact setting without dialing the knob using the mouse?
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
fundamental
Established Member

Re: ZynAddSubFX: Make Controllers Section Be Part Of .xiz Fi

Post by fundamental »

Yeah, right now having identical controllers for multiple parts would require just twiddling the knobs and there is no other simple means in the stable version to set the knob value other than using the mouse, though fine movement (left vs right click) and the tooltips should help with this task some.
ZynAddSubFX maintainer
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

Okay, thanks. Tooltips does help. I will deal with using a mouse for the time being.
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
caonoize
Established Member

Post by caonoize »

Nonetheless, perhaps we should keep this in mind. Remember the stacked voice patch we talked about earlier where treble layer had portamento, and the bass layer didn't. The controllers tell how an instrument is played, and maybe that should be the patch rather than the global parameters.
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

Do you have a thread for what you are talking about?
--Grayson Peddie

caonoize
Established Member

Post by caonoize »

GraysonPeddie wrote:Do you have a thread for what you are talking about?
Not really. This is just a poke to Fundamental about something we chatted about on IRC. The idea is that you might have an instrument where the individual kit elements might each have distinct controller parameters. As it stands now, you need to split the pieces across several instruments, and loading an xmz blows away everything.
banks/olivers-100/lead-combi.xmz in zyn 2.4.4 is a perhaps good example of a layered patch with multiple controller settings.
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

Ahhh... I don't use IRC.

That is interesting.
--Grayson Peddie