pitch to midi ?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

anko
Established Member

pitch to midi ?

Post by anko »

hi there.

anyone know of anything linux/foss for doing pitch/frequency to midi? i think there are a couple of commercial windblows vsts.

thanks.
stanlea
Established Member

Re: pitch to midi ?

Post by stanlea »

the aubio suite
dakylla
Established Member

Post by dakylla »

anko
Established Member

Post by anko »

@stanlea and @dakylla, thanks for the suggestions guys, i'm checking them out.

a.
bazsound
Established Member

Post by bazsound »

rather than starting a seperate topic, thought id post here since its related/

Has anyone tried using audio to midi filter as a drum trigger?

I have a couple of electronic drum pads/drums. Ive tested them on my interface and they work, which i expected since all thats in them is piezo discs.

Thought about recording the tracks and using some sort of midi filter. Doesnt have to be realtime but would be nice.
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

bazsound wrote:rather than starting a seperate topic, thought id post here since its related/

Has anyone tried using audio to midi filter as a drum trigger?

I have a couple of electronic drum pads/drums. Ive tested them on my interface and they work, which i expected since all thats in them is piezo discs.

Thought about recording the tracks and using some sort of midi filter. Doesnt have to be realtime but would be nice.
Interesting idea. Aubio has some good onset detection algorithms (used by the new shuriken beat slicer). Thats really what you would do is make a program or plugin that uses aubio and when it detects a note onset sends a midi note. Getting velocity should be doable with aubio too, but I'd have to do more reading. Not sure there's o lot of people willing to tear apart a device and hook each pad up to a separate input channel though.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

ssj71 wrote:tear apart a device and hook each pad up to a separate input channel though.
If he's going to that trouble, he may as well just tap the output of each piezo and run it into one of the CV-to-MIDI products. Depending on the product, he may then even get full dynamics out of the pads. Plus, he could use the product for additional midi conversion of other acoustic/analog instruments.

Something like:
http://www.midikits.net/midi_16drums/midi_16drums.htm

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

bazsound
Established Member

Post by bazsound »

j_e_f_f_g wrote:
ssj71 wrote:tear apart a device and hook each pad up to a separate input channel though.
If he's going to that trouble, he may as well just tap the output of each piezo and run it into one of the CV-to-MIDI products. Depending on the product, he may then even get full dynamics out of the pads. Plus, he could use the product for additional midi conversion of other acoustic/analog instruments.

Something like:
http://www.midikits.net/midi_16drums/midi_16drums.htm
the pads have jack outputs, there really so simple though they do have 2 discs per pad, the trigger that looks like a real drum has 2, 1 connected to the shell of the drum and then 1 on the centre with a piece of foam connecting the disc with the skin.

The rubber pad i believe also has 2, with 1 being pad and the other being rim.

AnywayThe drum mudles that you use must pretty much be doing basic audio conversion to midi. I I had a listen to what they sound like, pretty much as you expect like hitting a rubber pad or on the other one like how it sounds acoustically. there very isolated 2 really dont pick up any unwanted noise.
bazsound
Established Member

Post by bazsound »

I have 2 pads here and no actual brain so its easy to hook up.
bazsound
Established Member

Post by bazsound »

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ladspa-trigger/

just found this.

Its not audio to midi,but its a start.
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

bazsound wrote: AnywayThe drum mudles that you use must pretty much be doing basic audio conversion to midi. I I had a listen to what they sound like, pretty much as you expect like hitting a rubber pad or on the other one like how it sounds acoustically. there very isolated 2 really dont pick up any unwanted noise.
a while ago i started making a simple drum brain with an arduino, i treated the piezo signal as a CV as j_e_f_f_g mentioned rather than an audio signal. So it's basically just setting a threshold above which it's pretty much a 1-1 conversion between the piezo (0-5v) and the midi note (0-127).
bazsound
Established Member

Post by bazsound »

tatch wrote:
bazsound wrote: AnywayThe drum mudles that you use must pretty much be doing basic audio conversion to midi. I I had a listen to what they sound like, pretty much as you expect like hitting a rubber pad or on the other one like how it sounds acoustically. there very isolated 2 really dont pick up any unwanted noise.
a while ago i started making a simple drum brain with an arduino, i treated the piezo signal as a CV as j_e_f_f_g mentioned rather than an audio signal. So it's basically just setting a threshold above which it's pretty much a 1-1 conversion between the piezo (0-5v) and the midi note (0-127).
interesting so it shouldnt really be that difficult to write a plugin that would convert an stream into a midi event.