ZynAddSubFX ADSynth: Make Voice Parameter Window Efficient

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

GraysonPeddie
Established Member

ZynAddSubFX ADSynth: Make Voice Parameter Window Efficient

Post by GraysonPeddie »

Hi, everyone. Is it possible to make the ADSynth Voice Parameters window more mouse-efficient? The problem with the window is that the on/off checkbox is too far away from when I am working with oscillators and I think the on/off checkbox can be to the left of the "Current Voice" selector. Plus, the "Close Window" button is not needed since that's what the "X" button in the titlebar is there for and I can just do Cmd+Q to close the window when done (I'm using an Apple keyboard in Ubuntu GNOME to assign Command as the control key, so I've modified Alt+F4 to be Cmd+Q). With the "Close Window" button removed, the delay control and "R" check box for "Resonance Control On/Off" (is that for the filter?) can be moved down to where the voice selector is at.

Plus, why not compact the window into three tabs? One tab for Amplitude, filter, LFOs, and Envelopes, one for Frequency and Oscillator section, and one tab for Modulator with Type, External Mod, Mod Amplitude, all the way down to Mod Oscillator. Maybe then, if the window is small enough and have three tabs, the voice on/off control, selector, and the delay slider can be moved up to the top above the tabs. If the window cannot be small enough with tabs, I would like to have the voice on/off checkbox to be at the bottom just so I can quickly access them.

Okay now, what about the keyboard? Why can't I just use number keys 1 through 8 to select a voice. With tabs in place, I should be able to do Cmd+Tab (Ctrl+Tab for Windows keyboards) and Shift+Cmd+Tab to move between tabs. I tried to do that using Cmd+Tab in PADSynth where there are tabs at the top, but I can't.

Sure, ZynAddSubFX is a very powerful synth engine with lots of controls which did not bother me at all. But it does not have to show all the controls at once just to be so powerful. And last but not least, I would like to be able to enter the values by using my number keys since sometimes I would like to be more precise that a mouse cannot provide and be able to tab/shift+tab to the next/previous control. Besides, my computer keyboard could make heavy use of ZynAddSubFX in conjunction with a mouse.
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.