My KVR 'What stops you switching to Linux' thread

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

lazyklimm
Established Member
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:59 pm

Re: My KVR 'What stops you switching to Linux' thread

Post by lazyklimm »

Cool. Me too, but can you offer me $50000 to make me stop doing software reamping via purchasing all the necessary gear?
there are studios that already have all that stuff
Paying every time for a full-equipped rehearsal place or studio just to record two riffs and practice some scales sounds weird.
Do you really need "$50000" studio quality for every "two riffs and practice"? Arjen Lucassen uses Line 6 POD straight into ProTools. Do Ayreon recordings sound bad?
Buying 15-watt Chinese piece of you-know-what isn't a solution, too.
BTW, there are good chinese pedal clones :],
Don't think than if you don't need something then nobody needs it.
I do not :)
Remember that not everyone has a good stack near the bed.
I don't have one either . Some guitar pedals, tube preamp, processor (used as an ADC/Amp emulation mainly), not perfect, but result sounds good enough for demos and stuff like that for me.

User avatar
AlexTheBassist
Established Member
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 3:44 am
Location: Russia, Moscow

Re: My KVR 'What stops you switching to Linux' thread

Post by AlexTheBassist »

lazyklimm wrote:Do you really need "$50000" studio quality for every "two riffs and practice"?
Yes, I definitely need studio quality because "two riffs" isn't my only musical activity. Curently I play in two bands, and there can be even more. All of them, late or soon, will release something. So why pay lots of bucks to some guy while me and my band can do the work at home for nearly free? Also, playing with good sound is like good sex. If you tried it once, then you'll spend the rest of your life chasing it.
lazyklimm wrote:Some guitar pedals, tube preamp, processor (used as an ADC/Amp emulation mainly), not perfect, but result sounds good enough for demos and stuff like that for me.
So, you gonna say that the sound you get from it is flexible and easily adjustable? If so, then get a Tube Screamer, use it while recording and then try to lower the overdrive amount in the sound. Yes, after it's been recorded. Say it's impossible? That's why I wanna have control over all the stuff in my DAW. Preamp is not an exclusion. In fact, I love hardware, but IMO it's better at live performances and cases when you already know what settings are right for you here and now. Your setup is good for one band and already known sound, not for different bands and styles. Experiments are better with software.
lazyklimm wrote:Arjen Lucassen uses Line 6 POD straight into ProTools. Do Ayreon recordings sound bad?
And again. Yes, Ayreon's sound is well, but what if you find out that guitar you've recorded should be changed significantly? Re-record all the LP because of wrong cab model or too much gain you did choose in your POD? Sounds like 19th century. I prefer to keep DI tracks and work with them instead of limiting myself.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.

lazyklimm
Established Member
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:59 pm

Re: My KVR 'What stops you switching to Linux' thread

Post by lazyklimm »

I play in two bands, and there can be even more
me too
So why pay lots of bucks to some guy while me and my band can do the work at home for nearly free?
I don't want to pay "lots of bucks" until I really need that.
Also, playing with good sound is like good sex.
I prefer to play with hardware "women" :)
So, you gonna say that the sound you get from it is flexible and easily adjustable?
no, I'm not going to say that :)
If so, then get a Tube Screamer, use it while recording and then try to lower the overdrive amount in the sound.
But what if I don't want to?
Yes, Ayreon's sound is well, but what if you find out that guitar you've recorded should be changed significantly?
Ask Mr. L :)
Re-record all the LP because of wrong cab model or too much gain you did choose in your POD?
Hundreds of masterpieces were recorded without reamping, why there wouldn't be another one? Also, there were made a lot of reamped shit.
Sounds like 19th century.
You say it like it's a bad thing :)

Eino
Established Member
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:22 pm
Location: Music City USA
Contact:

Re: My KVR 'What stops you switching to Linux' thread

Post by Eino »

With the guitar, I like to do live recording as if, I am recording singing.
Just sounds better, than midi. The only thing is I don't do it often enough.
"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it. "
John Lennon

https://soundcloud.com/eino1953

lazyklimm
Established Member
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:59 pm

Re: My KVR 'What stops you switching to Linux' thread

Post by lazyklimm »

Drumfix wrote:And mixbus is currently available for $19.95 from rspeaudio.com.
Awesome, thanks! I wish there will be Ardour3-based version soon :)

bazsound
Established Member
Posts: 480
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:46 am

Re: My KVR 'What stops you switching to Linux' thread

Post by bazsound »

"So why pay lots of bucks to some guy while me and my band can do the work at home for nearly free? "

because you are paying an engineer who has the right equipment and the talent to take your recordings and produce it into something bigger.

you cant get skill for free.

Drumfix
Established Member
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:15 pm

Re: My KVR 'What stops you switching to Linux' thread

Post by Drumfix »

Awesome, thanks! I wish there will be Ardour3-based version soon
I am using the Mixbus channelstrip/bus/master in Ardour 3, just not with the nice guis.
See the other thread here http://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic ... 24&t=12567

ssj71
Established Member
Posts: 1292
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:36 pm

Re: My KVR 'What stops you switching to Linux' thread

Post by ssj71 »

Danboid changed the topic in his thread to "what would make you want to switch to linux?" and it has yeilded some interesting responses. Reading between the lines a bit it seems that we need to have software people want to use (and is easiest to use in linux). I'm of the opinion that the biggest reason people don't want the tools available in linux is that they don't know about them. If we're really interested in increasing usership we need to increase awareness. Advertising. We need people to donate resources toward advertising through some medium or other. Whether that be "celebrity endorsements" or youtube commercials, or SOS articles, is another debate. We need to increase awareness to increase our numbers. Even the responses from people open to using linux have the contingency of "if wine worked better." So they want to use the same tools. They'll never switch because they want to use a certain set of tools and thats most easily done on another OS. I has nothing to do with the OS, its a problem with the tools/perception and awareness/desire to use them. Perhaps this is just a generalization of danboid's argument about plugins. I'm just ranting now. I'd better stop.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!

Eino
Established Member
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:22 pm
Location: Music City USA
Contact:

Re: My KVR 'What stops you switching to Linux' thread

Post by Eino »

ssj71 wrote:Danboid changed the topic in his thread to "what would make you want to switch to linux?" and it has yeilded some interesting responses. Reading between the lines a bit it seems that we need to have software people want to use (and is easiest to use in linux). I'm of the opinion that the biggest reason people don't want the tools available in linux is that they don't know about them. If we're really interested in increasing usership we need to increase awareness. Advertising. We need people to donate resources toward advertising through some medium or other. Whether that be "celebrity endorsements" or youtube commercials, or SOS articles, is another debate. We need to increase awareness to increase our numbers. Even the responses from people open to using linux have the contingency of "if wine worked better." So they want to use the same tools. They'll never switch because they want to use a certain set of tools and thats most easily done on another OS. I has nothing to do with the OS, its a problem with the tools/perception and awareness/desire to use them. Perhaps this is just a generalization of danboid's argument about plugins. I'm just ranting now. I'd better stop.
Thank's for the rant, I have stopped using windows altogether, I don't even use wine for anything. I'm purely Linux now, and not going back.
"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it. "
John Lennon

https://soundcloud.com/eino1953

ssj71
Established Member
Posts: 1292
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:36 pm

Re: My KVR 'What stops you switching to Linux' thread

Post by ssj71 »

BTW, Danboid, you mention in the KVR thread you might like zita at1 if it were in plugin format. Did you know about https://sourceforge.net/projects/zitaretuner/ ? Its a little wonky because so many sliders to choose the active notes (original gui wasn't ported), but I usually just leave them all on and it works great.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!

ssj71
Established Member
Posts: 1292
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:36 pm

Re: My KVR 'What stops you switching to Linux' thread

Post by ssj71 »

Eino wrote: Thank's for the rant, I have stopped using windows altogether, I don't even use wine for anything. I'm purely Linux now, and not going back.
What made you change? Its very valuable to see what does make people change as its typically more concrete than trying to identify why someone doesn't change.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!

bazsound
Established Member
Posts: 480
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:46 am

Re: My KVR 'What stops you switching to Linux' thread

Post by bazsound »

what made me change was getting tired of having to reinstall windows after it slowed down and became buggy after just a few months use. this was admitedly back in windows xp.

but also sick of having to have virus checkers, firewalls, adware etc installed and hogging system resources.

Since ive made the switch ive had linux running for way longer, and only reinstalled when i messed it up. If i dont mess it up, it runs reliably and consistantly under the same hardware that windows did not.

It was also nice to have the choice betweem distros and guis i could choose from and even customise.

once you get used to the terminal and learn how to use it, its actually faster to get stuff done, compiling software isnt that hard once you understand dependancies and learn how to find and install them.

ontop of all that, its free.

User avatar
AlexTheBassist
Established Member
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 3:44 am
Location: Russia, Moscow

Re: My KVR 'What stops you switching to Linux' thread

Post by AlexTheBassist »

ssj71 wrote:What made you change?
Okay, since the thread holds on to this direction now, I'll say something too. I swicthed to Linux because of JACK and Ardour. They are incredibly impressive. The main reason was that one can easily get low latencies with JACK on any soundcard supported by ALSA. So I used to play bass and guitar with Realtek chip until I got an external USB interface and this was good enough for making quick demos and polishing my playing skills. While doing this I found out that there's a plenty of good plugins, too. That made me stick with Linux completely.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.

danboid
Established Member
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:28 am
Location: England

Re: My KVR 'What stops you switching to Linux' thread

Post by danboid »

ssj71:

When you say advertising I presume you mean people doing things like starting threads like I have here on mainly non-Linux forums in order to try drum up interest (that's one of the main reasons I did that, if you didn't guess) because this community certainly lacks funds for advertising!

What Linux needs to make more converts is free Linux-only apps that compete well with equivalent Windows / OSX software. Tracktion is one of the few examples I can think of as I don't know of anything that good thats free (as in beer) under Windows or OSX. Maybe I'm missing something? IMO A3 isn't quite up to the level of polish and feature set of Tracktion yet, A3 has a mostly complete OSX port and I expect A3 will get ported to Windows post Mixbus adopting an A3 base. One app (Tracktion, that is cheaply available for the other platforms) isn't going to gain us many converts. There are lots of good, free plugins for Linux but there are even more for OSX and Windows.

I do recall the at1 LV2 port now but I don't expect it performs any differently from the standalone JACK app, does it? I didn't have much luck with that.

For those who've not read my thread, I'm basically saying Linux is a superior OS (IMO) - we just don't have the plugins or hardware support yet that I think we need for more converts.
Are you new to Linux Audio? This manual explains how to install KXStudio, set up and use JACK, mimimize latency, lists the best Linux AV apps and much more all in a concise and easy to understand format.

http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/kxstudio_manual

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member
Posts: 1068
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:48 pm

Re: My KVR 'What stops you switching to Linux' thread

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

ssj71 wrote:so many sliders to choose the active notes
I changed the ttl file to make them pushbuttons. You must be using the first version.

Post Reply