How do I configure software synths in ardour?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

dkasak
Established Member

How do I configure software synths in ardour?

Postby dkasak » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:06 am

Hi all.

I'm trying to get some software synths working in ardour. I can't seem to get any sound out of them :( Here is what I'm doing ...

1) Open a new ardour session
2) Add a midi + audio track ( also tried with just MIDI )
3) Select an 'instrument' ( tried calf, MDA, fabla, sorcer )
4) Expand the track or whatever it's called until the little sideways keyboard appears, and click some notes

When I click notes, the levels in the mixer window jump. But there's no sound. I can record and play audio with my mic. Is there something simple I'm missing?

Thanks.

Dan

dkasak
Established Member

Re: How do I configure software synths in ardour?

Postby dkasak » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:12 am

Sorted.

It seems that adding a MIDI track from the 'main' window and selecting an instrument ( sometimes ? ) doesn't set things up properly. But adding a new track from the mixer window works fine.

varpa
Established Member

Re: How do I configure software synths in ardour?

Postby varpa » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:08 pm

Glad you fixed your problem. I suggest that it would be good to provide more details on your when posting such questions such as Ardour version, linux/jack setup. Also, if you really have found a bug, you should report on the Ardour bug tracker: http://tracker.ardour.org/my_view_page.php. Its recommended to use the version of Ardour downloadable from the Ardour website, which is the newest version, and the best to use as a reference when reporting bugs.

Having said all that I find similar problem to yours on Ardour3.4 (from Ardour site) - I find that in all circumstances the built-in keyboard on the track does not work, meters do not even move. However, playing via external midi input works.
Reporting this to Ardour bug page.

Return to “Plugins, Effects and Instruments”