zynaddsubfx as lv2 plugin

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

User avatar
falkTX
Established Member
Posts: 6646
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:04 pm

zynaddsubfx as lv2 plugin

Postby falkTX » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:55 am

I had some success with this so I decided to share the info with you guys:
http://youtu.be/0ZyaufDJF58

Apart from 1 issue (closing the UI crashing the host sometimes), everything seems to work great.

I'd love to have users with experience in building stuff to do some testing.
Volunteers?

User avatar
falkTX
Established Member
Posts: 6646
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:04 pm

Re: zynaddsubfx as lv2 plugin

Postby falkTX » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:02 am

To build this:

1. clone the carla git repo:

Code: Select all

git clone git://github.com/falkTX/Carla --depth 1 -b master

alternative mirror

Code: Select all

git clone git://repo.or.cz/carla.git --depth 1


2. check dependencies

Code: Select all

make features


3. install missing dependencies until you have this:

Code: Select all

---> Internal plugins:
...
ZynAddSubFX: YES  (with UI)


4. build the plugins:

Code: Select all

make -C source/plugin/

or to build with debug enabled:

Code: Select all

make -C source/plugin/ debug


finally, copy the source/plugin/carla-native.lv2/ folder somewhere on your LV2_PATH.
LV2 hosts will then see new plugins with URI "http://kxstudio.sf.net/carla/plugins/...".

Testing on any of those plugins is very welcome.
Note that 3 big features are missing:
- midi out
- non-parameter save data (FIXED)
- UIs for audio and midi file plugins
Last edited by falkTX on Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
autostatic
Established Member
Posts: 1728
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Beverwijk, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: zynaddsubfx as lv2 plugin

Postby autostatic » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:03 am

OMG, you pulled it off! Porting one of the most important and well known softsynths to LV2. I could test, I've got a good testing project for it with like 20+ tracks with ZynAddSubFX DSSI plug-ins and three Yoshimi instances for the Pad sounds the DSSI plug-in can't do.

User avatar
autostatic
Established Member
Posts: 1728
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Beverwijk, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: zynaddsubfx as lv2 plugin

Postby autostatic » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:42 am

What do you mean by "UIs for audio and midi file plugins"?

User avatar
falkTX
Established Member
Posts: 6646
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:04 pm

Re: zynaddsubfx as lv2 plugin

Postby falkTX » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:52 am

AutoStatic wrote:What do you mean by "UIs for audio and midi file plugins"?

the open file dialog will not show up (not implemented)
just ignore those 2 plugins

User avatar
autostatic
Established Member
Posts: 1728
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Beverwijk, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: zynaddsubfx as lv2 plugin

Postby autostatic » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:03 pm

It doesn't build:

Code: Select all

vex.cpp:22:22: fatal error: vex/cArp.h: No such file or directory
...
jeremy@bto:~/PPA/zynaddsubfx-lv2/zynaddsubfx-lv2$ find . -name vex
./source/modules/carla_native/vex
jeremy@bto:~/PPA/zynaddsubfx-lv2/zynaddsubfx-lv2$ ls -al ./source/modules/carla_native/vex
total 32
drwxrwxr-x  2 jeremy jeremy 4096 Aug 21 14:44 .
drwxrwxr-x 13 jeremy jeremy 4096 Aug 21 14:44 ..
lrwxrwxrwx  1 jeremy jeremy   68 Aug 21 14:44 cArp.h -> /home/falktx/Personal/FOSS/GIT/distrho/ports/vex/source/synth/cArp.h
lrwxrwxrwx  1 jeremy jeremy   76 Aug 21 14:44 cArpSettings.h -> /home/falktx/Personal/FOSS/GIT/distrho/ports/vex/source/synth/cArpSettings.h
lrwxrwxrwx  1 jeremy jeremy   71 Aug 21 14:44 cChorus.h -> /home/falktx/Personal/FOSS/GIT/distrho/ports/vex/source/synth/cChorus.h
lrwxrwxrwx  1 jeremy jeremy   70 Aug 21 14:44 cDelay.h -> /home/falktx/Personal/FOSS/GIT/distrho/ports/vex/source/synth/cDelay.h
lrwxrwxrwx  1 jeremy jeremy   71 Aug 21 14:44 cReverb.h -> /home/falktx/Personal/FOSS/GIT/distrho/ports/vex/source/synth/cReverb.h
lrwxrwxrwx  1 jeremy jeremy   70 Aug 21 14:44 freeverb -> /home/falktx/Personal/FOSS/GIT/distrho/ports/vex/source/synth/freeverb

User avatar
falkTX
Established Member
Posts: 6646
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:04 pm

Re: zynaddsubfx as lv2 plugin

Postby falkTX » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:08 pm

AutoStatic wrote:It doesn't build:

Code: Select all

vex.cpp:22:22: fatal error: vex/cArp.h: No such file or directory
...
jeremy@bto:~/PPA/zynaddsubfx-lv2/zynaddsubfx-lv2$ find . -name vex
./source/modules/carla_native/vex
jeremy@bto:~/PPA/zynaddsubfx-lv2/zynaddsubfx-lv2$ ls -al ./source/modules/carla_native/vex
total 32
drwxrwxr-x  2 jeremy jeremy 4096 Aug 21 14:44 .
drwxrwxr-x 13 jeremy jeremy 4096 Aug 21 14:44 ..
lrwxrwxrwx  1 jeremy jeremy   68 Aug 21 14:44 cArp.h -> /home/falktx/Personal/FOSS/GIT/distrho/ports/vex/source/synth/cArp.h
lrwxrwxrwx  1 jeremy jeremy   76 Aug 21 14:44 cArpSettings.h -> /home/falktx/Personal/FOSS/GIT/distrho/ports/vex/source/synth/cArpSettings.h
lrwxrwxrwx  1 jeremy jeremy   71 Aug 21 14:44 cChorus.h -> /home/falktx/Personal/FOSS/GIT/distrho/ports/vex/source/synth/cChorus.h
lrwxrwxrwx  1 jeremy jeremy   70 Aug 21 14:44 cDelay.h -> /home/falktx/Personal/FOSS/GIT/distrho/ports/vex/source/synth/cDelay.h
lrwxrwxrwx  1 jeremy jeremy   71 Aug 21 14:44 cReverb.h -> /home/falktx/Personal/FOSS/GIT/distrho/ports/vex/source/synth/cReverb.h
lrwxrwxrwx  1 jeremy jeremy   70 Aug 21 14:44 freeverb -> /home/falktx/Personal/FOSS/GIT/distrho/ports/vex/source/synth/freeverb

ah, lol, totally forgot about that!! :oops:
fixed now, just do a "git pull".

EDIT: btw, this is not meant to be packaged in any way right now.

User avatar
autostatic
Established Member
Posts: 1728
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Beverwijk, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: zynaddsubfx as lv2 plugin

Postby autostatic » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:12 pm

Thanks. I know but I prefer packaging it locally and the directory in which I do that happens to be named PPA.

User avatar
falkTX
Established Member
Posts: 6646
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:04 pm

Re: zynaddsubfx as lv2 plugin

Postby falkTX » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:16 pm

AutoStatic wrote:Thanks. I know but I prefer packaging it locally and the directory in which I do that happens to be named PPA.

In this case it doesn't matter much. The *.lv2 bundle only needs to be copied somewhere, it's self-contained.

But anyway, let me know how it works out for you!

User avatar
autostatic
Established Member
Posts: 1728
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Beverwijk, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: zynaddsubfx as lv2 plugin

Postby autostatic » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:25 pm

Code: Select all

In file included from vex.cpp:25:0:
vex/cReverb.h:43:33: fatal error: freeverb/revmodel.hpp: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

User avatar
falkTX
Established Member
Posts: 6646
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:04 pm

Re: zynaddsubfx as lv2 plugin

Postby falkTX » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:29 pm

AutoStatic wrote:

Code: Select all

In file included from vex.cpp:25:0:
vex/cReverb.h:43:33: fatal error: freeverb/revmodel.hpp: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

.....sorry again, fixed again...

tatch
Established Member
Posts: 662
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: zynaddsubfx as lv2 plugin

Postby tatch » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:19 pm

can it do parameter automation?

User avatar
falkTX
Established Member
Posts: 6646
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:04 pm

Re: zynaddsubfx as lv2 plugin

Postby falkTX » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:27 pm

tatch wrote:can it do parameter automation?

that's pending on some work on the current zynaddsubfx developer.
he's working on exposing all parameters, I'm waiting to see how that goes.
If that is not good enough, I'll just add the most basic params to be automable (like filter cut-off)

User avatar
falkTX
Established Member
Posts: 6646
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:04 pm

Re: zynaddsubfx as lv2 plugin

Postby falkTX » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:35 am

State save&restore is now done, which makes these plugins 90% complete.
Proof of state restore right here:
http://youtu.be/esAqHWi_Zi8

Ardour3 has some issue with Zyn UI's (something related to cairo), but Qtractor handles it nicely.
AutoStatic, I'm waiting for your testing! :D

Now I'll wait for bug reports on this, I have other things to do in the mean time...

User avatar
autostatic
Established Member
Posts: 1728
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Beverwijk, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: zynaddsubfx as lv2 plugin

Postby autostatic » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:30 am

github is down so I can't pull :(


Return to “Plugins, Effects and Instruments”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest