lv2 JACK host(s)

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

Jon
Established Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:13 am

lv2 JACK host(s)

Postby Jon » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:31 pm

The latest versions of lv2 (plugins) break lv2rack (part of zynjacku). I liked lv2rack in that it was simple to use. For a time I went ahead and downgraded lv2 in order to use lv2rack, but I decided to try out ingen (which requires the latest lv2 plugins, and consequently breaks lv2rack). Ingen seems more capable (read as more complicated), but isn't quite as stable and crashes when changing settings often. I did install jalv but seem to like lv2rack better. Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Code: Select all

bash-4.2$ lv2rack
Successfully connected to LASH server at localhost
Not sending deprecated LASH_Client_Name event
Loading LV2 plugin cache from "/home/slackjack/.cache/lv2rack/plugins"
/usr/lib/lv2/event.lv2/event.ttl: Unexpected(2): ('symbol', 'true')
ERROR /usr/lib/lv2/event.lv2/event.ttl: /usr/lib/lv2/event.lv2/event.ttl: Unexpected ;
/usr/lib/lv2/uri-map.lv2/uri-map.ttl: Unexpected(2): ('symbol', 'true')
ERROR /usr/lib/lv2/uri-map.lv2/uri-map.ttl: /usr/lib/lv2/uri-map.lv2/uri-map.ttl: Unexpected
flex scanner jammed

ssj71
Established Member
Posts: 1292
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:36 pm

Re: lv2 JACK host(s)

Postby ssj71 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:36 pm

Carla. Its much more on the capable side of things, but its the best dedicated plugin host out there. If you want as light as possible stick with Jalv.
http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/KXStudio:Applications:Carla
Also available in your local kxstudio PPA.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!

User avatar
falkTX
Established Member
Posts: 6646
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:04 pm

Re: lv2 JACK host(s)

Postby falkTX » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:39 pm

lv2rack and zynjacku are abandoned projects now. unless someone takes over them, you shouldn't use them.
it's missing a lot of new lv2 stuff, including state, time, non-gtk2 UIs, atom+cv ports and maybe even more.

Jon
Established Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:13 am

Re: lv2 JACK host(s)

Postby Jon » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:03 pm

I had a difficult time compiling Carla on Slackware. After compiling and installing, still ended up with (a?) python error.

Code: Select all

bash-4.2$ carla.py
LRDF Support not available (LADSPA-RDF will be disabled)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/carla/carla.py", line 2338, in <module>
    if argument.startswith("--with-appname="):
AttributeError: 'QString' object has no attribute 'startswith'


So I went with the precompiled static binary package, but it will only "see" ladspa plugins and none of the others.
Otherwise, I would love to get Carla to work.

User avatar
falkTX
Established Member
Posts: 6646
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:04 pm

Re: lv2 JACK host(s)

Postby falkTX » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:49 pm

Jon wrote:I had a difficult time compiling Carla on Slackware. After compiling and installing, still ended up with (a?) python error.

Code: Select all

bash-4.2$ carla.py
LRDF Support not available (LADSPA-RDF will be disabled)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/carla/carla.py", line 2338, in <module>
    if argument.startswith("--with-appname="):
AttributeError: 'QString' object has no attribute 'startswith'

You need the python3 version of PyQt

Jon wrote:So I went with the precompiled static binary package, but it will only "see" ladspa plugins and none of the others.
Otherwise, I would love to get Carla to work.

There's a little bug in there. Untick the LADSPA checkbox and ran the discovery again.

Jon
Established Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:13 am

Re: lv2 JACK host(s)

Postby Jon » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:45 am

Wow! Thanks for that suggestion. It works.


I had saved the source on Carla (because I modified backend/native/audio_decoder/ad_ffmpeg.c), because of compilation difficulties. These are the changes I made.
http://pastebin.com/HfdYNM0X
It would be nice to test. I will have to try and fix my PyQt. I had ran into a problem where I had upgraded sip as a dependency requirement and had messed up PyQt. (the two are intrinsically linked), causing me to upgrade PyQt. I believe the version I'm using now is PyQt-x11-gpl-4.10.2. Is there a separate/different PyQt Pythonmodule?

Edit: Oh, I see. I need to downgrade to V3. I wonder if I will have to downgrade sip as well?

User avatar
falkTX
Established Member
Posts: 6646
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:04 pm

Re: lv2 JACK host(s)

Postby falkTX » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:26 pm

Jon wrote:I had saved the source on Carla (because I modified backend/native/audio_decoder/ad_ffmpeg.c), because of compilation difficulties. These are the changes I made.
http://pastebin.com/HfdYNM0X

Can you make a diff/patch please?

Jon wrote:It would be nice to test. I will have to try and fix my PyQt. I had ran into a problem where I had upgraded sip as a dependency requirement and had messed up PyQt. (the two are intrinsically linked), causing me to upgrade PyQt. I believe the version I'm using now is PyQt-x11-gpl-4.10.2. Is there a separate/different PyQt Pythonmodule?

Edit: Oh, I see. I need to downgrade to V3. I wonder if I will have to downgrade sip as well?

Maybe you're confusing things.
Carla (the GUI side) needs Python3-PyQt4 to work. On debian systems it's "python3-pyqt4" and on archlinux it's simply "pyqt". I don't know about other distros.

Jon
Established Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:13 am

Re: lv2 JACK host(s)

Postby Jon » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:52 pm

Alright, thanks for the help. I'll see what I can find. This is the diff for ad_ffmpeg.c:
http://pastebin.com/FXHNm50r

Edit: I understand better now thanks to this:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7942 ... -in-ubuntu

Basically a huge set of bindings... (python-qt-sip-PyQt-kde-workspace). The distro I'm on has python2.7 and qt-4.8.2. I need python3 and to compile PyQt against it.


Return to “Plugins, Effects and Instruments”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest