How do I control Guitarix LADSPA in Carla?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

AnthonyCFox
Established Member

How do I control Guitarix LADSPA in Carla?

Post by AnthonyCFox »

This is from the Sourceforge wiki, How to use the new ladspa plugins:
First you need to start the Guitarix program and make some settings which will be stored in the state file (~/.gx_head/gx_head_rc)
Am I supposed to create this folder and file? I don't have either of them.
Parameter assignments
Next there are five parameters. To associate them with Guitarix variables, click a control in Guitarix with the mouse button 2 (middle button) and enter a number in the field
What are these parameters? I click around with the middle mouse button and I don't see anything. This is in the GUI version of Guitarix, not the plugin, right?

My goal here is to go completely FLOSS by replacing my WinVSTs. And to integrate Carla with my Non Daw set up. So, using Carla I got some decent Fluidsynth percussion and Zynaddsubfx is adding bass and synth sounds without completely hogging my cpu, an 8 year old Pentium M. So far, so good. Now if I can get some good guitar sounds and if I still have system resources leftover for recording, I'll be home free. Those are some big ifs... but I'm hopeful.

EDIT: I tried running the GUI version of Guitarix with the set up I described and it may work for me. I played some rhythm over the percussion and synth I'd programmed and the cpu didn't peg out. I might not need to run it as a plugin...
War, crime, disease, starvation, extreme poverty; these are serious things.
Music? Not so serious. Have some fun! :D
AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Re: How do I control Guitarix LADSPA in Carla?

Post by AnthonyCFox »

falkTX wrote:LADSPA plugins don't have UIs, only DSSI, LV2 and VST do.
For non-gui plugins, Carla has a built-in editor and shows all the exposed parameters by the plugin.
I can see that.
falkTX wrote:You can assign midi-cc values to control/automate each different parameter.
And that's what I'm trying to figure out how to do. My question is more about Guitarix than Carla.

It may not matter though. I just used the regular GUI version of Guitarix to record a track and then played over it and everything went really smooth. If I can lay a couple more tracks that way I'll be a happy camper.
War, crime, disease, starvation, extreme poverty; these are serious things.
Music? Not so serious. Have some fun! :D