Your Thoughts on Reverbs

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Which reverbs do you use most?

Zita-rev1
10%
Tal-reverb 1 though 3
14%
Calf-reverb
21%
Freeverb
9%
GVerb
3%
Mverb
6%
dRow Audio
1%
IR
16%
Other (please specify)
14%
Linux DSP SR-2B
6%

Total votes: 70

bluebell
Established Member

Re: Your Thoughts on Reverbs

Post by bluebell »

Ricardus wrote:On most mixes I run two instances of IR, using the Bricasti M7 IR files. One is set to a warm room sound for the drums (since most home-recorded drum tracks I get don't have much of a room sound), and another set to a plate.
As I understood you need 2 instances of IR to load one M7-file each, one for the stereo file "left" and one for the stereo file "right". The output of both has to be mixed together. Then you have only one room simulated.

Did I get it wrong?

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

Ricardus
Established Member

Post by Ricardus »

bluebell wrote:
Ricardus wrote:On most mixes I run two instances of IR, using the Bricasti M7 IR files. One is set to a warm room sound for the drums (since most home-recorded drum tracks I get don't have much of a room sound), and another set to a plate.
As I understood you need 2 instances of IR to load one M7-file each, one for the stereo file "left" and one for the stereo file "right". The output of both has to be mixed together. Then you have only one room simulated.

Did I get it wrong?
Yes, you got it wrong. I run two instances of IR because I want 2 distinct reverb sounds on some mixes.

1 instance or IR outputs stereo. And if you have the good IR files, like the Bricasti ones that I use, they are actually qudraphonic IR files, and IR and other IR reverbs process that down to a sophisticated stereo output image.
Mastering/Mix Engineer
Available for hire
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

Ricardus wrote: Yes, you got it wrong. I run two instances of IR because I want 2 distinct reverb sounds on some mixes.

1 instance or IR outputs stereo. And if you have the good IR files, like the Bricasti ones that I use, they are actually qudraphonic IR files, and IR and other IR reverbs process that down to a sophisticated stereo output image.
Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know that there are quadr(a|o)phonic impulse responses. Now I looked for them and found them at http://www.samplicity.com/bricasti-m7-i ... responses/

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

male
Established Member

Post by male »

Ricardus wrote:
bluebell wrote:

Did I get it wrong?
Yes, you got it wrong. I run two instances of IR because I want 2 distinct reverb sounds on some mixes.

What exactly does quad mean in this context? Was the device that was IR'd meant to be a quad reverb? If these are IRs of real spaces, then how were they recorded? Just because something is 4 channels, doesn't mean it's quad. I'm curious how these are meant to be used.
varpa
Established Member

Post by varpa »

I do not understand quad impulse responses but there is some explanation of it on the IR plugin webpage: http://factorial.hu/plugins/lv2/ir - scroll down to the "Getting impulse responses" section.
male
Established Member

Post by male »

varpa wrote:I do not understand quad impulse responses but there is some explanation of it on the IR plugin webpage: http://factorial.hu/plugins/lv2/ir - scroll down to the "Getting impulse responses" section.
According to that page/screenshot, a the 4-channel files would be intended for "True Stereo", not Quad.

True Stereo is where one takes two stereo impulse responses, one with the impulse source at stage left and one with it at stage right. Has nothing to do with quad.