Your Thoughts on Reverbs

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Which reverbs do you use most?

Zita-rev1
10%
Tal-reverb 1 though 3
14%
Calf-reverb
21%
Freeverb
9%
GVerb
3%
Mverb
6%
dRow Audio
1%
IR
16%
Other (please specify)
14%
Linux DSP SR-2B
6%

Total votes: 70

ssj71
Established Member

Your Thoughts on Reverbs

Post by ssj71 »

Hi All:

I'd really like to see what everybody else does so I can follow like a sheep. And I'm kind of curious anyway. You very may well use many of these so I've allowed you to mark as many as you like in the poll. There are several I didn't list, simply because I'm limited to 10. If you like I can switch one of the least popular out for C* or invada or Hybrid or whatever.

If you are feeling verbose I'd really like to know what you use them for and what you like about them i.e. really long decays for big sounding rooms, has nice dark color, pretty gui etc. I'm sure I could learn a lot from all of you! Comment on ones you don't like too, more info/opinions the better.

I've used IR nearly exclusively but have tried Gverb and Calf. Calf seemed pretty nice. I tried the invada early reflections but couldn't get quite the sound I wanted. I recently used the Zita rev1 and thought it was great (thanks guitarix team for the port!).

**EDIT: changed hardware only to Linux Dsp Sr-2b (can't believe I forgot that one!) you are free to change your votes accordingly.
Last edited by ssj71 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: Your Thoughts on Reverbs

Post by funkmuscle »

you find good IR files and use IR, nothing sounds better or I should say natural.. the other verbs tend to alter the tone of my guitar..
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

linuxDSP SR2B, one of the best algorithmic Verbs out there regardless of platform IMHO. I also like the TAL and Calf ones quite a bit, as a side note the Calf Vintage Delay is really good companion with any of these Reverbs. Lastly if you are specifically looking for a 'plate' Reverb the CAPS Plate LADSPA's are very realistic as well. I haven't had time to test MVerb much yet but it sounds promising.
werock
Established Member

Post by werock »

linuxDSP SR2B for me too (as well as TAL & freeverb)
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

love the Invada verb but still it changes my guitar tone.. actually in a good way as i can place it in the room using that verb but the tone, while still being a sweet guitar tone changes in the mix.
dednikko
Established Member

Post by dednikko »

I have been using Mverb since I found an LV2 installer. It sounds great. I find the damping parameter can really give sounds an "in your face" quality.

I also use SR2B from LinuxDSP. This is usually the first thing I try.
Think like a gun.
Walnutcracker
Established Member

Post by Walnutcracker »

After using various linux reverbs for awhile i have to put in another vote for the linuxDSP SR2B. Great plugin, deceptively simple but versatile. I also love the caps plate reverb and the mverb plugin is great too. I have tried the tal plugins and while i like them, i've found they crash Ardour from time to time so have avoided them. Has anyone else had this problem? I run AV Linux. I also really like the zita reverb but found the lv2 version on AV linux doesn't work. I have tried to compile it myself and i have the same issue. It mutes the channel that i add it too. I have been able to use it as part of the guitarix lv2 but i find with that version that the parameters are a bit confusingly labeled. As the standalone version i always loved it. I would love to have a simple, working version of it for Ardour.
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

I use calf and tal ii a lot because I don't really know any better lol. That said, I appreciate this topic because there are so many reverbs out there and it helps to read what people use/think of each.
SR
Established Member

Post by SR »

I've been liking the GVerb+ reverb from Harrison Consoles. Their "3D Triple Delay" is pretty nice too.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Great thread! This is exactly the sort of thing I want to see in the new Plugins forum! Maybe this thread should be moved there now?

We need to do similar polls for EQs, compressors, distortions and all the other popular FX categories next.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I'm being told:

You do not have the required permissions to read topics within this forum.

for the new plugins forum even when I'm signed in atm. I've PM'd raboof about it.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Looks like raboof has fixed the permissions on the new plugins forum.

Thanks raboof!
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

My goto reverb is always 'Tap Reverbarator' from the tap plugins set
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

ssj71:

What do you say to us getting an admin to move this thread to the new plugins and effects forum?
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

sounds great. I didn't notice there is a plugins forum! If you can handle it go for it. Let me know if you need anything from me.
I also really like the zita reverb but found the lv2 version on AV linux doesn't work. I have tried to compile it myself and i have the same issue. It mutes the channel that i add it too. I have been able to use it as part of the guitarix lv2 but i find with that version that the parameters are a bit confusingly labeled. As the standalone version i always loved it. I would love to have a simple, working version of it for Ardour.
this has been fixed (I haven't tested myself) but its been repackaged in AVlinux too. I've been using the guitarix version. For the parameters the original guide is pretty helpful for me:
http://kokkinizita.linuxaudio.org/linux ... guide.html
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!