KXStudio future plans

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

stanlea
Established Member

Re: KXStudio future plans

Post by stanlea »

There may be something wrong in wineasio, or winealsa.drv for the Native Instruments line. Reaktor (standalone) worked very well with the previous version (wine audio settings set to alsa... not to jack), but now I just can set audio (it shows "directsound" as the only option, but it works) and when I try to set midi IO, wine crashes. On the other hand, the vst loads in Festige, but the GUI is not responding.
karm
Established Member

Post by karm »

@stanlea: let me guess, wine 1.4? They reworked the audio engine and at the moment there is no support for devices other than ALSA (afaik).

As for the KXStudio plans, it's great to see carla rewritten in C++. Somehow I find python software less responsive... (just an impression though)
Only birds fly first class
Archlinux on desktop pc.
karm
Established Member

Post by karm »

looks very slick ;)

well, it may behave a little better in Ubuntu because it will not cause "crashes" (python exceptions).
Archlinux on desktop pc.
karm
Established Member

Post by karm »

I submited a bug report where you answered that ubuntu is not clever enough to distinguish exception from a crash, that's what I meant. Despite this it is running smooth so I can't complain ;) You are doing a good work and I appreciate it!
Archlinux on desktop pc.
rusk
Established Member

Post by rusk »

Please give some attention to Claudia GUI. I mean some simplification of projects creation procedure as we discussed earlier. Why not to reduce project creation to 3 simple steps? Open a new project button (will create a room and a project inside that room with default path in ~/ladish_projects/project_name, connect that room ins/outs/monitors to hardware), add application multilayer menu (will copy default session file of desired app into ~/ladish_projects/project_name and run application with that session file), Save button/ctrl+s... This way new users will get mostly the same steps to launch new projects as thay has in All-in-One DAWs.
rusk
Established Member

Post by rusk »

Opinions?
Add connections options to "Open" dialog with checkbox "Use these as defaults" or make project templates and configure initial in/outs template at first project creation stage. It's usability. When I create a project in any DAW I just have to push monitor knob to hear something... In gladish/claudia I should go to canvas first and drag at least 4 audio connections to connect room to hardware. Note, I don't know nothing about rooms if I am new user... And there are only 2 options for me: read the manual or write questions to some forum... End users actually don't like manuals. Things should be self-explained if you want users to like them.
Last edited by rusk on Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
rusk
Established Member

Post by rusk »

which ones do you personally need?
Mostly I use Ardour and VSTs running from FeSTige. FeSTige adds fst instance to current room but doesn't add a pre-saved file to ladish project folder. I have to save it manually. FeSTige isn't your application, I know that. But it's important part of studio enviroinment - simple add & connect VSTs to project... Sometimes I use tuxguitar with qsynth and allways set them up manually.
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

It seems like the use of Claudia will require every new users to understand the concept of Ladish before they can use Claudia, or gladish first, then Claudia, am I correct?

Perhaps you might want to create and include an interactive tutorial in Claudia. Is that possible? Can a tutorial be included once it's out of beta?

It seems we're hitting too many limitations when it comes to ladish and gladish.

I'm not a new user to Linux Audio in general, but I thought I might ask.
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
rusk
Established Member

Post by rusk »

That's why I suggest to make it as simple as possible. Most things are possible without Ladish modification. However, Nedko welcomes everybody to contributions... I still hope to learn C enough for that ;-) I really need windows management from ladish frontend.
gingerling
Established Member

Post by gingerling »

hi, i was using crunchbang before, i totally recomend you all have a play with a live cd, for one particular reason

- on the desktop there is a little think called conky http://conky.sourceforge.net/

its SO usefull for heavy duty tasks such as video rendering. You can see all the improtant stats etc in such a low-fi integrated way, no need for widgets or commandline, its totally ¨in¨ your desktop - I will really really miss this feature of crunchbang. It was especially usefull when eddting large videos, i could really see when i was starting to push my system to hard and so could either close down spare apps or ajust my video making accordingly.

I would love to see this in kxstudio please :)
gingerling
Established Member

Post by gingerling »

falkTX wrote:
gingerling wrote:I would love to see this in kxstudio please :)
afaik it's in the repos, you can just add it and set it up to your liking.

the live-dvd is supposed to be as simple as possible, with nothing in the way of the user (not saying this is the case though). Apart from the theming aspect that comes as default (err, which the live-dvd failed to, but that's another thing) nothing else is added. The layout in KDE+KXStudio is actually the default that comes with KDE.

Still, if you make a nice conky config for KXStudio that matches the theme, I will certanly add that to the KXStudio artwork package.
hey, yeah i found it! have set it up to be just back text and transparent (http://wiki.bodhilinux.com/doku.php?id= ... ansparency), however, kde seems to struggle with this, as i have the issue where it disappears when i click on the desktop - but i can't seem to resolve it with any of the common fixes. I read in a few places that kde struggles with the weird transparency work arounds. Will let you know if i fix it! : )
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

Yeah, conky is totally cool, though the possibilities for set up are overwhelming.

I think it would nice for KXStudio to eventually incorporate more stuff like this. A good conky setup would be nice. A good cpufreq governor widget for quick changing would be good to include in the basic KXStudio setup too. But these things are all low priority in my view.
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com
gingerling
Established Member

Post by gingerling »

yeah, i guess in the scheme of things they are small fry :) I am really loving this os, i cant thank you all enough, really - its a superior product : )
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

gingerling wrote:yeah, i guess in the scheme of things they are small fry :) I am really loving this os, i cant thank you all enough, really - its a superior product : )
I agree completely. I too am very thankful to the developers. I am just a user myself trying to make the most of this and to be active in the community. FalkTX is the main developer of the whole thing. You can donate on the KXStudio website too, and anyway my understanding is that ALL feedback and requests or anything are welcome, so I don't mean to in any way discourage you from bringing things up like conky or whatever!
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

I don't feel that KXStudio restricts me from adding anything else, especially if it is the Ubuntu repositories.

With the proviso that FalkTX mentioned in a recent post that the KXStudio theme has to do with efficiency as well as looks, I don't see why stuff should not be added and customised as you wish. I even have a (rather neglected, I'm afraid) experiment running with the MATE desktop.

Of course, one would less liberties with a production/studio/work machine...