KX Studio 12.04

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Jasy
Established Member

KX Studio 12.04

Post by Jasy »

Hi,
I installed the 12.04 KX Studio that is in the official website and i just can't get my audigy4 working.
Installed the same distro in my Lenovo Z61T and everything is fine.
raboof
Established Member

Re: KX Studio 12.04

Post by raboof »

Some more details might be useful: what did you try, what happened, any error messages?
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

According to ALSA Sound Card Matrix, Audigy 4 should work just fine.

Open Cadence, click Configure, and in the ALSA section, list your sound devices.
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
karm
Established Member

Post by karm »

I don't own Audigy 4 so I can't be sure but I have an emu0404 which has the same chip as Audigy 2 and it requires alsa-firmware to be installed. Check if your card need it too.
Only birds fly first class
Archlinux on desktop pc.
amsel
Established Member

Post by amsel »

I have a Audigy 2 ZS and it works out of the Box, i just had to change the Jack Settings so it will actually be used. Maybe that's the issue here?
Jasy
Established Member

Post by Jasy »

In Ubunto studio it works well but with KX not really. I managed to make it work but only once. I'm moving for my old lappy as it handles linux like a champ and i have no problems with audio then i'll get back to the desktop.

Very thankful for the replies :)
Jasy
Established Member

Post by Jasy »

Can you help me with that? i'm noob at this
amsel
Established Member

Post by amsel »

I wanted not to release this post yet, but since it may help you getting started, here it is:
Hands On KX Studio
The Section about Cadence may be usefull for you, since it describes the problems i had myself with the jack configuration. Also you may check the configuration once in a while, i noticed, that sometimes the configuration is not saved or is resetted. You can also click on the Screenshots to show them in full size.
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

Nice, amsel! Thanks! You didn't mention anywhere (that I could see) what you did to get Cadence to have a friendly check for real-time though, yet I see that in your second screen shot…
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

wolftune wrote: what you did to get Cadence to have a friendly check for real-time though
Do you mean this...
realtime.jpg
realtime.jpg (14.07 KiB) Viewed 1399 times
It just does.

Or do you mean how to get Cadence to run Jack in realtime? But, again, I'm fairly sure that if it can, it just does. Note that I have a low latency, not rt kernel. If I remember correctly, I wouldn't get that green check on a generic kernel.

But I can't believe the answer is this simple, because you are way ahead of me on this stuff. If I misunderstood the question --- just ignore :)
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

Oh nevermind. I just got confused. When you had the clickable first screen that shows the whole cadence window and then the non-clickable little piece of a window a few images below, I couldn't see it well and just connected the wrong parts in my mind, thinking you had installed a real-time kernel and had two checks on the left side. :P

Interesting, incidentally, that you've now appeared to do what I did and leave the dark KXStudio color scheme in favor of something more normal.
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

wolftune wrote:Interesting, incidentally, that you've now appeared to do what I did and leave the dark KXStudio color scheme in favor of something more normal.
I love FalkTX's software, but not his taste in colours :)

When you run KXStudio Welcome...

Just uncheck this...
KX-no-theme.jpg
KX-no-theme.jpg (5.16 KiB) Viewed 1395 times
My current system is Ubuntu 11.04 classic. My next stop will be 12.04 with MATE, to keep the Gnome-2 look and feel. Experimental install is Ubuntu 12.04 Studio base, with fairly minimal KXStudio and MATE desktop.
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

Hmm, I'm still using KDE and overall liking it. I suppose one day I may try MATE or Cinnamon or something. There's no issues whatsoever with the functioning of the KXStudio GUI stuff under any desktop? I noted that KDE and xfce are the only officially KXStudio-supported DE's. Anyway, from my experience, nothing compares with KDE when it comes to full control over the interface and system. But yeah, I find some issues come up with the dark colors. I use an easy-on-the-eyes light grey scheme instead.
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

Mint 13 32-bit Cinnamon with Cairo launched as the session!
Mint 13 32-bit Cinnamon with Cairo launched as the session!
desktop1.png (209.59 KiB) Viewed 1412 times
I tried making KDE in the KXstudio 12.04 ISO bend to my will and it just isn't happening. Gotta say I LOVE Cairo-dock in panel mode in with Mint 13 cinnamon. Isn't it pretty? More than that extremely functional. I feel it's the best of both world of having a dock and a classic desktop.
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

wolftune wrote:...There's no issues whatsoever with the functioning of the KXStudio GUI stuff under any desktop? I noted that KDE and xfce are the only officially KXStudio-supported DE's...
i think there's one tweak needed for Qt apps under MATE. Probably I'll do the whole installation once or twice more and get reminded! Sheesh, I should take notes: documentation was never my strong point even when I was doing admin for a living :o