12.04 ams64 : cannot install festige

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

anko
Established Member

Re: 12.04 ams64 : cannot install festige

Post by anko »

slowpick wrote:For the standalone, the file menu, Audio-midi Settings, Audio tab, choose asio, and wineasio for the driver, and in the midi tab, turn on your input and output ports. It auto-connects in the
l
yeah see this is the problem, the only driver that shows is DirectSound, so i can't connect to anything useful...

i have the kxstudio wine stuff set up and other 'doze synths like ultra-analog va-1 work fine and detect wineasio, but absynth 5 gives the above problem...

so i was thinking it must be something to do with the way i had it set up. i just ran the installer as per usual under wine, which worked for these other synths... :(
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

Are your absynth install paths the same as mine? That could be important, with so many locations
holding bits and pieces of the absynth install. I've seen the word 'PlugIns' spelled
every which way, and on purpose.
(the ***s in the paths I posted are just for command syntax.)

Have you tried plugins with reaper using wineasio? That might be a workaround.
http://www.reaper.fm/download.php 6.4 meg download.

Reaper daw installs to one folder, you can drag and drop as desired.

do you have a folder /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/wine for the wineasio.dll.so ?
Some distros have odd unique paths. Mine is simple /usr/lib/wine

Is absynth installed and running successfully on a windows partition?
That would eliminate a flawed installer file.

Also I use it on wine 1.2 and 1.4, not a 1.3, there are many twists, turns, and regressions
in the winemaking. So when it works, I keep it.
anko
Established Member

Post by anko »

slowpick wrote:Are your absynth install paths the same as mine? That could be important, with so many locations
holding bits and pieces of the absynth install. I've seen the word 'PlugIns' spelled
every which way, and on purpose.
(the ***s in the paths I posted are just for command syntax.)
yes, you could just use \ to escape the spaces in yr commandline to same effect.

i'm using the standard wine setup of ubuntustudio 12.04 plus the kxstudio stuff also installed. as i said, several other windows synths and plugins are working fine under this setup.

standalone absynth starts up fine, but it's audio settings panel only shows 'DirectSound' as an audio device choice, whereas all the other synths and plugins correctly show the asio/wineasio stuff for sound devices.
slowpick wrote: Have you tried plugins with reaper using wineasio? That might be a workaround.
http://www.reaper.fm/download.php 6.4 meg download.

Reaper daw installs to one folder, you can drag and drop as desired.
i already have my registered reaper installed and running fine with wineasio under this same setup.
slowpick wrote: do you have a folder /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/wine for the wineasio.dll.so ?
Some distros have odd unique paths. Mine is simple /usr/lib/wine
i have:

/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/wine/wineasio.dll.so
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/wine/wineasio.dll.so

as is standard for this 64bit ubuntustudio + kxstudio setup.
slowpick wrote: Is absynth installed and running successfully on a windows partition?
That would eliminate a flawed installer file.
yep, the same installer is installed and running fine under windows boot.
slowpick wrote: Also I use it on wine 1.2 and 1.4, not a 1.3, there are many twists, turns, and regressions
in the winemaking. So when it works, I keep it.
wine 1.4 is standard under this setup.

do you, or anyone, know how to get absynth to actuall see wineasio as an audio driver option?

btw, thanks for yr help already. ;)
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

Have you scanned the absynth plugin in reaper?

How about copy your wineasio.dll.so to /usr/lib/wine, rename the others temporarily,
and run regsvr32 wineasio.dll
again, reboot, and try again.

The path I listed appears to be the standard in vst world, with some exceptions,
the /Program Files/Steinberg/VstPlugins seems to be 'home' for plugins. If you
went another way during installation, it could be an issue.

You may need a pure 32bit system for absynth. Even if everything says 64bit on the T-Shirt,
it can still be a trainwreck. :wink: There are reasons why many musicians stay at 32bit,
money and success being high on the list :)

Try the newer Mikro Prism, a free, but very excellent instrument,
in case the age of absynth is a factor

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/ ... kro-prism/

If this also fails, a different wine version, or linux version, may work. Usbstick installs
work fine for special cases. I keep several different systems going, since linux audio is always beta,
even on the good days, and I am all alpha, all the time :(
anko
Established Member

Post by anko »

yeah none of those things helped.

i'm happy with this setup, a lot of fairly wierd and wonderful things are working perfectly well, there's just this issue with absynth is all and i'm sure it's specific to the way i have it set up.

re, the 64 bit vs 32 bit thing, that view is pretty close to scary old muso voodoo these days... ;)

i have lots of 32bit music stuff running fine under 64bit windows, osx and linux, and especially on modern multiarch linux where you can have 32bit and 64bit installed alongside each other with no issue.

of course it's just the small matter of getting things set up right... :mrgreen:

anyway i can record my chops under absynth on my windows boot (which is 64bit and works fine) but it would be convenient to have it working under linux too since i do alsmost all my work on everything there now.

i have an arch linux pro audio setup on my laptop, so i might try absynth / wine there and see if i can debug it on that system.

anyway thanks a bunch for your suggestions mate, and the link to that othe NI synth which i'll check out at some stage.
anko
Established Member

Post by anko »

slowpick wrote:even on the good days, and I am all alpha, all the time :(
and i should say, my own brain is in a permanent state of pre-alpha, development only, unstable, user beware, bleeding edge, experimental mode, and is bug ridden and prone to crashing at all times, but i'm kinda used to it by now... :?
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

anko, I have the same problem with Reaktor (another NI product). The only option for audio is "Direct Sound" (and... it sometimes produces some audio, but it's unpredictable). And I can't connect any midi device (in or out)... strange.
That's for the standalone. Previously, under Natty+KX, it was working.
The vst loads fine in Festige, but the GUI freezes when I try to load a preset. This has always been the case.
anko
Established Member

Post by anko »

stanlea, interesting.

the fact that absynth is working for some folks but not me though (and i've found people who have it working under 64bit linux and wine on other forums) indicates that it's some setup problem, but i just can't work it out yet.

i'll keep trying though, and if i have any success i'll try to remember to report what the issue was here.
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

One more idea for absynth, for those with working windows setup,
overwrite the linux absynth install folders with those from the windows install.

Perhaps absynth is detecting audio subsystems during a windows install, to list in its
options field. I have only asio here, no option for wdm or direct sound etc.

I think there are 5 folders scattered about, holding absynth, so draw a chart :)

Native Instruments also dominates the windows registry without mercy, perhaps
there is a registry key that could be edited, to hard-code the options field. :?: