Kx as a distrib is over - what next for ubuntu users?

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Xzu Rukneg
Established Member

Kx as a distrib is over - what next for ubuntu users?

Post by Xzu Rukneg »

Hi all.

After years and years of linux audio with Kx studio (big thanks Falktx!), we reach finally the end of it as a distrib.

Time pass and I'm not in the "linuxdistrib info" now, so what next?

I think kxrepos are good for some apps and plugs. A good thing!

So what about system optimisation?
Maybe we can continue with the kxstudio-default-settings for audio optimisation? I think it is enough for that.

And then we need a repo for all other audio apps? Or maybe not because there are quite up to date in ubuntu?
What do you think?
Do you knows some good audio-repo for ubuntu?

[EDIT] I also would like to ask what to do with dead kx-repo? Because some of them seem to be just deactivated and abandoned.
noedig
Established Member

Re: Kx as a distrib is over - what next for ubuntu users?

Post by noedig »

I just installed Ubuntu Studio 22.04 this week and it has been a very pleasant experience thus far. It looks and feels kind of like a shiny new KXStudio (what with it using KDE and all). I was able to install it and set up my USB audio interface and still have time for some editing in Ardour before bedtime (and all this during load shedding (scheduled power blackouts due to insufficient electricity generation capabilities where I live)). All in all a good first out-of-the-box impression.
I suggest you try it out if you want a new KXStudio-like Ubuntu distro.

I'm going to try adding the KXStudio repositories, although it looks like it's discouraged. I'll try anyway.

Up to now I'm a long time Linux Mint (XFCE) user. It has been very easy for me to set up for pro audio. My steps after install are usually to install the KXStudio repos, install a lowlatency kernel (using Synaptic) and use the https://codeberg.org/rtcqs/rtcqs script as a guide for configuration.
Linux Mint is a wonderful distribution and I would definitely recommend it to someone who wants a no-fuss beginner-friendly Ubuntu-based distro.
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

noedig wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:12 am I'm going to try adding the KXStudio repositories, although it looks like it's discouraged. I'll try anyway.
Why it's "discouraged"?

Happily using Debian Sid with KXStudio repos without issues since 2020. Having latest Carla, Cardinal, Ildaeil, master_me, etc. alone is worth it.

Probably there are some older plugins packages not being updated for a while, I just download/compile them if I absolutely need that new version.

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
noedig
Established Member

Post by noedig »

LAM wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:34 am
noedig wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:12 am I'm going to try adding the KXStudio repositories, although it looks like it's discouraged. I'll try anyway.
Why it's "discouraged"?
A quick search showed some posts discouraging it for Ubuntu Studio specifically. I'm not sure if it's still relevant and/or whether the US devs just haven't tested it and aren't officially supporting it and perhaps are being cautious with novice users in mind.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Why it's "discouraged"?

Happily using Debian Sid with KXStudio repos without issues since 2020. Having latest Carla, Cardinal, Ildaeil, master_me, etc. alone is worth it.

Probably there are some older plugins packages not being updated for a while, I just download/compile them if I absolutely need that new version.
There was a period when a number of third party plugins were not being updated and I vaguely recall falktx saying he was going to scale back maintaining most except for those he was personally involved with. Sounds like he may be renewing efforts to keep current as they were based on Ubuntu 18.04 but is now rebasing on 20.04.
I took the opportunity to remove a huge number of plugins I never used. With lots installed, one never gets to learn to use most of them optimally anyway.

As for alternative repos, there is LibraZik for Debian-based distros, and GeekOS for Suse base.
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

sunrat wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:58 am
Why it's "discouraged"?

There was a period when a number of third party plugins were not being updated and I vaguely recall falktx saying he was going to scale back maintaining most except for those he was personally involved with. Sounds like he may be renewing efforts to keep current as they were based on Ubuntu 18.04 but is now rebasing on 20.04.
I took the opportunity to remove a huge number of plugins I never used. With lots installed, one never gets to learn to use most of them optimally anyway.

As for alternative repos, there is LibraZik for Debian-based distros, and GeekOS for Suse base.
Is it an answer to my post or is your general thought/advice? Seems more like the latter but you quoted me ... :)

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Xzu Rukneg wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:16 pm [...]
Do you knows some good audio-repo for ubuntu?
[...]
Do you need one? I think you should choose a distro that you're comfortable with (had I known about Snap in Ubuntu I would have chosen something different) and then determine the audio software you want to use. The most popular audio software is available for almost any distro. The KX repo's aren't that necessary anymore.

At the moment (last quarter of year 2022) I wouldn't upgrade my distro yet. There's active development in PipeWire: the "follow up" of Jack and PuleAudio. We'd better all get comfy using PW because it's bound to get/already is the default in Linux.

For certain audio software I did activate additional repo's: I like to keep things simple lean and clean.
Xzu Rukneg
Established Member

Post by Xzu Rukneg »

Thanks everyone!
I really feel happy to read you all. Thanks for your contributions!
I'm just asking, what I want is substance for my think, and that's what you give when talking about this.
So, for now, there is no particularly needs for me.
As for alternative repos, there is LibraZik for Debian-based distros,
No, Librazik is good for audio but it's only a distro, not a repo, and seem like it will never be one.

About ubuntu yeah, yeah. First thing I do is completely remove snap and install synaptic (just for comfort!). In short I'm too comfortable with it, and the good community support in my native language (and other things) to do without it. Just my choice, for now and I wish some years again.
I wrote "for ubuntu users" to focus the subject on Kx-studio substitution, more than "witch distro choose", but all think are welcome.
I just installed Ubuntu Studio 22.04 this week and it has been a very pleasant experience thus far.
What I hated with ubntuStudio when I tested it was the automatic bridge of all my physicals IN (about 16 or 20) to all pulsaudio IN, and same for out: a awfull hodgepodge of connections in catia -> unacceptable. Don't what to fight against my system before using it.
Is this always the same?

rtcqs: good! A realtimeconfigquickscan up to date, good news.

Question: some KX repo seem really abandoned. My update manager can't reach them for a will. Like ccg5 thing.
Maybe we can make a list of actually actives repo? And mention those who are obsoletes, to help people like to remove them from source list.
A quick search showed some posts discouraging it for Ubuntu Studio specifically.
Please, can someone gives more precision about that?
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

LAM wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:34 am Happily using Debian Sid with KXStudio repos without issues since 2020. Having latest Carla, Cardinal, Ildaeil, master_me, etc. alone is worth it.

Discussion about kxstudio plugins, some mentions what is up to date and what not viewtopic.php?f=48&t=24735

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

tavasti wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:57 am
LAM wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:34 am Happily using Debian Sid with KXStudio repos without issues since 2020. Having latest Carla, Cardinal, Ildaeil, master_me, etc. alone is worth it.

Discussion about kxstudio plugins, some mentions what is up to date and what not viewtopic.php?f=48&t=24735
And?

I know very well what plugins are updated and what not, I use to compile/download many of them. :lol:

LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

Xzu Rukneg wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:47 am
As for alternative repos, there is LibraZik for Debian-based distros,
No, Librazik is good for audio but it's only a distro, not a repo, and seem like it will never be one.
Actually is a repo that you enable/install on a Debian installation. See: https://librazik.tuxfamily.org/doc4/en/ ... nvironment

Xzu Rukneg wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:47 am What I hated with ubntuStudio when I tested it was the automatic bridge of all my physicals IN (about 16 or 20) to all pulsaudio IN, and same for out: a awfull hodgepodge of connections in catia -> unacceptable. Don't what to fight against my system before using it.
Is this always the same?
You'll love PipeWire then. Where every app producing sound or recording will spam in your graph. :lol:
Xzu Rukneg wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:47 am Question: some KX repo seem really abandoned. My update manager can't reach them for a will. Like ccg5 thing.
Maybe we can make a list of actually actives repo? And mention those who are obsoletes, to help people like to remove them from source list.
A quick search showed some posts discouraging it for Ubuntu Studio specifically.
Please, can someone gives more precision about that?
Did you update your repo installation in the sources? Something changed recently: https://kx.studio/Repositories
Better get rid of the old one and enable it again following the new instructions.

LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

tavasti wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:57 am Discussion about kxstudio plugins, some mentions what is up to date and what not viewtopic.php?f=48&t=24735
To have an overview of what is up to date and what not (compared to your distro repos, it will show all versions available):

Code: Select all

grep -h -P -o "^Package: \K.*" /var/lib/apt/lists/ppa.launchpad.net_kxstudio-debian*_Packages | sort -u | xargs apt-cache madison

Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

I wouldn't install kxstudio repo with ubuntu studio because the kxstudio uses it's own version numbering system which can in some cases overwrite newer software.
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

Largos wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:09 pm I wouldn't install kxstudio repo with ubuntu studio because the kxstudio uses it's own version numbering system which can in some cases overwrite newer software.
That's a good point, however @Xzu Rukneg was asking for Ubuntu in general and not UbuntuStudio if I'm not mistaken. As long you don't mix the 2 repos you are fine (or just make sure you know what you are doing :D ).